• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Cross-pollination

Hello to all fireHeads!!
I've been growing chilePeppers for several years now, and find myself on the horns of a dilemma. The dilemma is this.......do I continue to grow my various pepper types close together, producing an unpredictable (yet interesting and unique) heat and flavor pattern........or do I attempt to separate them in an attempt to keep their individual characteristics more "pure". Before I decide what to do in this situation, I need some information from you guys. What would be a reasonably safe distance to separate the different chile varieties to avoid cross-pollination?
Thanks for your responses......

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=1236

Might help ya. I think as long as there's no/ little breeze then you're OK (i.e. indoors). Outdoors... who knowS? A couple of yards? Couple of feet?

Welcome to the board, by the way :P

Also bear in mind that, as I see it, some species will NOT interbreed, so you can keep them close. There was a list on that site I link to in the other thread, I think. I'll try and look it up again if not.

skyclad said:
Before I decide what to do in this situation, I need some information from you guys. What would be a reasonably safe distance to separate the different chile varieties to avoid cross-pollination?
Thanks for your responses......

A mile or two mile separation is recommended by commercial growers. It' the bugs and they fly that far.

Back