• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Jamaican style Patties

For this holiday season I decided to something I haven’t done in years . Make Jamaican style Patties. My idea was to make a bunch of them and give them to friends . After making all of them I remembered why I haven’t made them in a long time. I don’t like making pastry dough. I made 3 dozen each of Beef , Shrimp , and Veggie Patties.

The pastry is pretty basic but I added curry powder.

This is the cooked beef . It has yellow onion , red bell pepper , green onions , scotch bonnet peppers , garlic , thyme , and curry powder.

Beef.jpg

This is the beef with the bread crumbs mixed in.

BeefMixture.jpg

This is the shrimp mixture. It has yellow onion , red bell pepper , green onions , scotch bonnet pepper , okra , tomatoes , garlic , thyme , a little coconut creme , and curry powder .

ShrimpMixture.jpg

This is the veggie mixture. It has yellow onion , red bell pepper , green onions , scotch bonnet pepper , okra , cabbage , collard greens , carrot , sweet potato , cho cho (chayote), tomatoes , garlic , thyme , and curry powder.

VeggieMixture.jpg

I'll add photos of my finished Patties as fast as my old fingers can work........

Here's what the Patties look like ..........

Patties-1.jpg

This is a peak inside the patties , not great photos but should give you an idea anyway.

Beef

BeefPattie.jpg

Shrimp

ShrimpPattie.jpg

Veggie

VeggiePattie.jpg

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Thanks Guys ...... They did turn out pretty good. I cooked some a little less after a consultation with THP. My hope was to have some frozen that I could heat again and still have a flakey crust. I think they should do well , but time will tell.....

paulkey ... you should make these for the lovely Retta ... And Novacastrian ..... Aussies should like these too. Great with a pint !!

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Great lookin' patties, Dreadie! I, too make them & now that my DH's friends (DH is Jamaican & friends are Jamaican & Haitian) know that I make pretty awesome patties I often get requests to make them for parties. They're a bit time-consuming to make but are soooo worth it! Your method for the filling is very similar to mine.

docsgal ...... I agree Patties are a pain to make. That's why I make a bunch and freeze some for later. Add a fried plantain with mango salsa or some guacamole and you got some good snackin' ......

Peace,
P. Dreadie

oh man, i know you cooked this almost 2 years ago, but i was not a member then. i live near to the Tower Jamacian Beef Patty factory. its a large operation making millions of patties every year for sale to all stores and supermarkets. I bet they are glad you dont do this for a living. Yours look magnificent, wish i was your neighbor . ill never eat a beef patty again and think it was good now that i saw yours. P.S. i would like to add if anyone in the area is interested they have a small retail outlet connected to the factory. they sell one that are cooked. and frozen ones by the case. the frozen ones can be bought dirt cheap.

Yeah Tower Isles are good patties. Dreadie's looks better though. :)

Hey ..... from one old man to another ...... thanks old man . You're right ..... I wouldn't want to make those daily...

Peace,
P.Dreadie

*drools*

I absolutely LOVE Jamaican beef patties! When I finally get around to making some, I am going to load them up with SPICY. :dance:

Something about them makes them stand out from empanadas. The bread, seasoning, meat, all come together. I even like them greasy. Good drunk food!

Back