• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Matt Berry's Grow Log 2010

I received my seeds and couldn't wait to get started for the 2010 growing season. I started 2 trays of 50 seeds, and I also have a bunch of plants I started from seed in Aug & Sept. The plants I started at the end of the summer were more of a test, as I was trying out a few new seed suppliers. Here is what I'm growing, now in alphabetical order and includes the seeds I ordered from The Hippy Seed Company.

7 Pot
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Chocolate
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Habanero
Aji Limon
Aji Norteno
Aji Panca
Beni Highlands
Berbere
Bhut Jolokia
Burkina
Caribbean Red Hab
Cayenne Long Red Slim
Cayenne Carolina
Cayenne, Golden
Chile De Arbol
Congo Trinidad
Congo Yellow
Datil
Fatalii
Goats Weed
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Yellow
Jalapeno M
Jalapeno, Purple
Jimmy Nardello
Limon
Paper Lantern
Purple Marconi
Red Savina
Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Serrano
Serrano, Purple
Tabasco Greenleaf
Thai Orange
Thai Red
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
Unknown - From the free seed mixes which are so hard not to plant - few winners / losers
Unknown - Fresno
Unknown - Habanero Red

Seed Trays

f241d52a.jpg

Seedlings planted in Aug - Thais are in the back left

a58f9d2f.jpg

Right now they are growing under 2 400 watt metal halides, there are actually more plants then what is pictured. I'm currently still fighting off some thrips and spider mites. Their population is under control, but they are still beating my plants up a bit. At least my wife tolerates me toting plants up and spraying them off, well at least for now. Last year was aphids ad this year has been these tiny little buggers.

Looking really good. It's so good to see pods on your over-winter plants. The one's you just started are probably going to be close to those in size by the time you plant out. OH, and real impressive list.

Looks good. When is your plant out date? Those plant are going to get pretty big. I am fighting the urge to start my seeds. My plant out date is mid April, so I plan on starting the bulk of my seeds the second week of January and the rest the first week of February.

Good luck on your season!!!
jacob

matt great plants, awesome pics . However i believe that your fatalii may have become hybridized, the cause being that it dosent look like a regular fatalii.

I know it is a little hard to tell from the photo, but the yellow pods are aji limons. The fatali is right below that branch. It is just now starting to flower, so no pods yet. Sorry for the confusion.

Plant out date isn't until the end of may. We do have some warmer days sometimes in late April or early May. These will stay in containers, they may get moved outside for some of the warmer days in early spring.

The seedlings I just planted will definetely be as big as the ones already pictured as all those are only 4 months old or less. They have spent most of their time under the metal halides. I've already picked the first set of peppers from most of these and they are getting ready to produce the next harvest.

To keep the size under control I have been pruning / shaping them a bit. I've overwintered peppers before, but this is the first time I've done seedlings like this. It's actually been fun to get fresh peppers in winter, and be able to try some of the new varieties and unknown peppers. I've actually been able to collect seeds from a few of the "mystery seed" peppers that I really liked and start more of them. The Fresno was one of those that came in the peppermania mix, and I was able to start more.

Nice!

Where did you score the Aji Norteno's and Purple Serrano's from? I've been trying to track those two down.

Not that it will do me any good now... I'm already half way through our growing season.

I know a lot of people here start their seeds quite early, and if you have the space and time to keep them up, it can work out great. At the very least you get a good jump start on the season, or in your case, pods in the winter. Unfortunately for me, I don't have the space to keep that many plants. I wish I did. I hope you have a great season and Merry Christmas!

jacob
Matt Berry said:
Plant out date isn't until the end of may. We do have some warmer days sometimes in late April or early May. These will stay in containers, they may get moved outside for some of the warmer days in early spring.

The seedlings I just planted will definetely be as big as the ones already pictured as all those are only 4 months old or less. They have spent most of their time under the metal halides. I've already picked the first set of peppers from most of these and they are getting ready to produce the next harvest.

To keep the size under control I have been pruning / shaping them a bit. I've overwintered peppers before, but this is the first time I've done seedlings like this. It's actually been fun to get fresh peppers in winter, and be able to try some of the new varieties and unknown peppers. I've actually been able to collect seeds from a few of the "mystery seed" peppers that I really liked and start more of them. The Fresno was one of those that came in the peppermania mix, and I was able to start more.

i never use any lights on my plants and they are doing really well your going to get on large haul of chilli's in your lot post some more pics when you can in my lot i have 4-choc habs..3 trinidad scorpions.. 1 bhut jolokia.. 5 yellow 7 pods.. 5 trinidad habs.. 5 red savina.. 2 orange habs.. 4 fatali's..1 aji lemon.. 4 7-pod jonah.. 1 naga morich

Dang Bro ... nice little Christmas harvest .

Did any of the St Bart's sprout ? I'm fixing to start my seeds. I may be rushing but I'll learn.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

I did get the Aji Limons from peppermania, but those were from an order I place in July 2009, then I started them in Aug. The pods are from 1 plant. Heat wise they are not that hot, similar to cayenne hot.

P. Dreadie - The Harolds were the only one that I haven't been able to get to sprout, I've even tried soaking them in tea water. If you look at the top photo with the seed trays the plant on the far right is the Trinidad scorpion I started from your seeds. With any of the chinense you won't go wrong starting them early. The ones in my pictures are 4 months old and are about 2 - 2 1/2' tall. If you don't pot them up as quickly they tend to stay smaller. I have a few that were in 6" pots longer and are only 1' - 1 1/2' tall.

The Aji Limons are only one of the harvest I've gotten, Im countinually getting some from the Fresno, Jalapeno M, Orange and Red Thais, Red and Yellow Cayennes, Chili De arbol. The Habs have been a little more sporatic, Lots of flowers, but not many are setting on them.

Back