• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! - Steak - January 2010 Throwdown

Vote for STEAK based on RECIPE and PRESENTATION (disregard internal temp.)

• Novacastrian - Holy 23, The Jordan Would Have Had No Problems

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • ImpyChick - She Got The Bleus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • chilehunter - chilehunter's CI Branded Ribeye

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • JayT - JayT's Holiday Steak

• Noshownate - Spicy Sirloin Fillet w/Tarragon Mustard Sauce

• paulky_2000 - Circle-H-Bistro Filet

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Deathtosnails - OMG..It's TWINS with Red Wine Jus, Creamy Mashed 'Taters and Fresh Baked Bread

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • texas blues - TB's Grilled Dry Aged Ribeye w/Bearnaise, Sweet Potato Skins, Swiss Chard

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • frydad4 - Frydad's Coal Steak Habanero Thermidor

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Pepperfreak - Garlic Steak Extravagansa

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
This is the Steak Throwdown!

This will be judged on recipe (how appealing it is) and presentation (how good it looks). Temperature (as in rare, medium, etc.) is not a factor, so members, do not factor this into your judging. Any of these steaks can be prepared to your liking. Focus on the recipe and presentations.

1. Any cut of beef, whole, not sliced or ground.
2. Any cooking method.
3. For presentation, must be cut at least once to see the inside and out, or may be sliced. If you want to post a pic of it before the cut that is fine.
4. The steak may be part of another dish if it follows the above, as in, slices of steak in a taco AS LONG as it was sliced AFTER cooking.
5. Sauces and sides of course may be added.
6. Post your recipe in specific measurements. Steak is pretty bare bones in some cases, so if just salt and pepper, let us know.
7. Post a prep or teaser pic or pics (not required) and a final pic for presentation with the cut, and name your meal.

This ends Sunday 9 PM EST.

Teaser time... without the cut of meat :D

nova320.jpg

I will name this "Holy 23, the Jordan would have had no problems"

I started with around a pound Scotch Fillet, around 1 1/2 " thick cooked to medium rare. By christ i am on fire. Hit one of those Bih's in the sauce HELP ME LORD!!

Here da steak..
005-2.jpg

I somewhat changed the recipe here- http://bbq.about.com/od/steakrecipes/r/bln0434a.htm..

I used the basic recipe but changed the sauce to include 4 Bihs and some fresh hot yellow's (not sure of the correct name for these)

The "kebabs" were made using charred grilled sun dried tomatoes and Portobello mushrooms with rosemary sprigs for teh sticks, mmmmmmm. In fact everything was done on the grill apart from the sauce. I can tell you guys that this should not be consumed like this with the Bih's, it's bloody deadly when you hit one of them. Im dorfin...

Heres the plated dish, i know it looks messy but i couldn't care less at this point in time!! :hell:
007-1.jpg

Mmm Nova that looks really good! I like the meat a bit more raw and bloody, but since the cuisson doesn't count...

You're using all my favorite ingredients here: shrooms, balsamic and toms combo is always great, rosemary, and grilled asparagus! Hmmm! That I like, it makes them really tasty and nutty. I'm really envious of those by the way. My asparagus season has been over for a long time. Can't wait till next spring.

BTW It's not messy, rustic is the word to use here ;)

Nova FTW!

:D Thanks guys, i will be a happy man with even one vote!

I like the use of the term "rustic too!

Very nice Nova. Way to get the party started. Four Bih's though???? What are you thinking? You could have put that sauce on cardboard or shoe leather and not known what you are eating! Oh and I see the not win meter has been reset and renamed to start the new year.

JayT said:
Very nice Nova. Way to get the party started. Four Bih's though???? What are you thinking? You could have put that sauce on cardboard or shoe leather and not known what you are eating! Oh and I see the not win meter has been reset and renamed to start the new year.

In th every important aspect of full disclosure Jay i must admit that the Bihs have been stored in vinegar for quite some time now. They were given to me in a big jar by a very respectable member here if that gets me any points! :lol:

They are still deadly though and i am going to use the vinegar to make a special "dip" for.. well for someone special! ;)

Nova coming out of the gates strong!!! Nicely Done Sir! Great pics, your ingredients look really fresh.

That sauce looks awesome. painful, but awesome.

Nice teaser EXCEPT only two habs... you better bring the heat!

The heat will be INSIDE.......;)

did I say INSIDE??? :lol:

Oh yes....and a healthy dab of my bhut jolokia powder (not shown)....AND the dried cayenne.....but I have Retta coming over....and she'd probably die!!!

fresh AND dried rosemary. Now youve done it Paulky.

I cant wait to see what madness you do with all of those fantastic things! Hope it smiles for the camera.

Looks likes blue cheese and pepper stuffed filets with bacon-wrapped asparagus and roasted rosemary taters.. Not sure how the mushroom plays yet! Or the bread! I don't see garlic or butter... so........ waiting!

thehotpepper.com said:
Looks likes blue cheese and pepper stuffed filets with bacon-wrapped asparagus and roasted rosemary taters.. Not sure how the mushroom plays yet! Or the bread! I don't see garlic or butter... so........ waiting!

You are very VERY close!!

Edit:....oh yes...and butter and garlic are implied in the Circle-H kitchen! ;)

Stuffed filets on top of grilled portabellas maybe?! Can't wait.

thehotpepper.com said:
Nice teaser EXCEPT only two habs... you better bring the heat!

There is quite an impressive rack of hotsauses on the right in that picture...

Paulky are you going to include ALL of those in the recipe? :shocked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back