• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

Put the seeds in the dirt today. Trying to get a total of about 30 plants across 9 types. Ordered all my seeds from pepperjoe.com this year. Assuming some will die.

Here's the list:
Hot Banana
Long Red Slim
Charleston Hot
Turkish Cayenne
Hot Caribbean
Atomic Starfish
Tabago Seasoning
Giant Jolokia
Scotch Bonnet

Here's where they will live (hopefully) over the next few months:
IMG_2842_s.jpg
IMG_2843_s.jpg

The larger plants on the right are my overwintered Jolokias. Grow On!

Good luck on your upcoming season! I am fighting the temptation to go ahead and start my seeds, but I don't want the plants to get too big. I started around the last week of February last year, and although that is late for peppers and did't get my first ripe one until end of July-beginning of August, the season here is long enough to still get a good crop. I pulled the last ripe peppers off a Naga Morich plant on New Year's eve from a plant I brought inside to ripen. I plan on starting in about a week or so for the chinense varieties and start the rest around middle of February.

jacob

I just love looking at everyone starting their seeds, It is getting me all excited to start mine. Can't wait to see these grow you you.

Guy,

You are wasting light - that's almost as bad as wasting beer! Find a wider table or stick some boards on it so you can extend it the full four-feet! I'm sure most people have heard of Square Foot Gardening but for us seedling growers, it's square foot lighting!

I haven't ordered seeds yet (though I have about 20 varieties I've been trying) because I have absolutely no self-discipline. If I get seeds, I would have to sow them and anytime before the middle of March (except for hot peppers) is way too soon. I lost 500 or more seedlings last year because they were too big - by the second week of April they were outgrowing their 3" containers and I still had a month to go.

Good luck on the season - last year (actually, the last three years) sucked as growing seasons go so we should be due for a near-perfect one.

Looking forward to pix this season.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Guy,
You are wasting light - that's almost as bad as wasting beer! Find a wider table or stick some boards on it so you can extend it the full four-feet! I'm sure most people have heard of Square Foot Gardening but for us seedling growers, it's square foot lighting!

Hey Mike, it's on my list of things to do. That just happened to be the only table available this morning when I decided it was time to plant. I have some other seed I'll plant in a month or so and will need the extra space.

I figured you would! You can also probably get another row in between the ones you have now, at least for seedlings.

One thing to consider is taping some Mylar or similar reflective material to the lights. It really seems to increase the amount of light the plants get.

Mike

PepperLover said:
you dont need light yet anyways wait till they germinate

I'm actually using the light for heat...even a few degrees helps in my basement where the temp hovers around 63-65 this time of year. I might even end up using a heatlamp or a space heater to warm the room to a better temp. I sprouted some in the same area last year and the cool temps made it take a little longer than i would have liked, at least that's what I think caused the extended germination period.

peppermanbaha said:
Thats great TPGM Looking good. How many vars. are you growing.?

Trying 9 this year:

Hot Banana
Long Red Slim
Charleston Hot
Turkish Cayenne
Hot Caribbean
Atomic Starfish
Tabago Seasoning
Giant Jolokia
Scotch Bonnet

Today the Charleston Hots and Scotch Bonnets started peaking out of the dirt:-)

The ones that have not sprouted yet are the Turkish Cayenne, Hot Banana, Hot Caribbean & Giant Jolokia.

I picked up some orange hab sprouts from my neighbor + some orange and chocolate hab seeds. Planting both today. That brings me to 11 varieties total:

Hot Banana
Long Red Slim
Charleston Hot
Turkish Cayenne
Hot Caribbean
Atomic Starfish
Tabago Seasoning
Giant Jolokia
Scotch Bonnet
Orange Hab
Chocolate Hab

Back