• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do peppers respond to topping/training?

Do peppers respond to topping or training well? Like say if I cut off the main growth shoot will it cause the plant to bush out and form more growth tops or do peppers not respond well to topping? Anyone have any experience?

Yep, topping does work...to a point...and they respond to training quite well. My Naga's no longer wet the carpet. (i know what you ment, they do train :lol: )

imaguitargod said:
Yep, topping does work...to a point...and they respond to training quite well. My Naga's no longer wet the carpet. (i know what you ment, they do train :lol: )

Thank you very much. I was wondering because I see these red savinas can get up to 3 feet tall, and I couldn't find any info about how tall the dorsets grow, so I was hoping I could top them to keep them short and bushy.

LOL, funny jon, I have trimmed my peppers back and they have done fine not sure about topping though shouldnt have any problems

Topping works good if you want the plant to be smaller and bushier as in your case. You may have to support these bushier plants more than the untopped ones, especially when they get big.

Here's some examples

(left)untouched (center)topped recently (right)topped 1+ weeks ago (back)clone taken months ago now starting to flower

(left)and(rear left)untopped (right)topped quite early,difficult to support
aug10qn3.jpg

Back