misc Anti caking? Powders and spices

I have been making some spice mixes and was wondering what you guys use to stop it from "caking". They are fine for awhile but then after a few months they do get clumpy. I want to keep it as natural as possible. I have seen that some agents that are natural,what do you use ?

Silica is natural but it's sand, so not sure you want that. Look at tricalcium phosphate.

I have never added anything to my powders and haven't noticed a need to either. As long as it is stored in an air tight container, they should be fine. If they clump, I just shake them up and they are fine.

PF, we have the benefit of not living in humid climates. If she is speaking commercially, it will be going to many climates and will not be airtight.

Yeah I would like to sell it commercially so I dont want it to clump as it looks unprofessional. It is not just chilli powder but other spices and salts in it. So they are probably what makes it clump.
Tricalcium phosphate - had a quick google and it is made of bones or rocks - just as bad as sand:lol:
How much of the stuff do you need to put in, what are the ratios?

It's a mineral salt that occurs naturally in cow's milk. Look up mineral salts and see which suits you best.

You don't use a lot but you would have to research the proportions.

The definitions of minerals can sound scary, but if you think about it we take them as supplements, and our body needs them. We eat a lot of rocks and metals ;)

Tricalcium phosphate is a mixture of calcium and phospate, both naturally occuring and essential to humans . It's in bread and cereal, and even yogurt.

Maybe this article sounds friendlier :) http://www.ehow.com/about_5541445_tricalcium-phosphate-side-effects.html

thehotpepper.com said:
You don't use a lot but you would have to research the proportions.

The definitions of minerals can sound scary, but if you think about it we take them as supplements, and our body needs them. We eat a lot of rocks and metals ;)

Tricalcium phosphate is a mixture of calcium and phospate, both naturally occuring and essential to humans . It's in bread and cereal, and even yogurt.

Maybe this article sounds friendlier :) http://www.ehow.com/about_5541445_tricalcium-phosphate-side-effects.html

Yeah they do sound a bit scary so would have to find something that sounds "friendly" unless I can just say on the label anti caking agent?

Yep saw that one thanks. Have you actually used it before THP?

No I haven't gone commercial yet so keep me up to date on your research in this thread. I also like to keep it all natural. I'm a label reader that's how I know about this stuff lol.

I would think you could make that yourself by grinding rice. Rice is the home method for anti-caking but it looks funny. By the looks of this pulverizing it has the same effect. On the contrary this may be a cheap solution.

I was reading that some curries and chili powders, they use flour in them to keep them from caking. Not sure how it works, but I found a site where someone was complaining because they were lactose intolerant and most spices have flour in them. Perhaps rice flour would work?

I was thinking rice flour too. Well this thread is progressing well. I will be watching it. If I have time I will research more.

Here's a link to the Nu-Flow product's company RIBUS.

http://www.ribus.com/products.htm

There is a link to request a sample. I just requested one. Depending on price and minimums, we might consider splitting an order........but that's way down the road.

I think I'll try THP's idea first as I have a grain grinder that will work perfectly for this. The only caveat is.........how much ?!?!?

pepperfreak-I was reading that some curries and chili powders, they use flour in them to keep them from caking. Not sure how it works, but I found a site where someone was complaining because they were lactose intolerant and most spices have flour in them. Perhaps rice flour would work?

I thought LACTOSE was dairy related and GLUTEN was the thing in flour that folks are allergic to. ?????

Either way, rice and soy milks are used by folks who are lactose intolerant and rice flour is for those who are gluten intolerant. Same source- (rice)- different allergies.

Back