• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Habanero aroma

Hi Guys,
Just starting out with peppers.
My last trip to Mexico (playa del carmen) in september realy got me into peppers.
I went to the a mexicain grocery store and got 4 kinds of Hot peppers: Cuaresmen,serrano,Habanero and Chilaca.

IMG_1459.jpg

The Chilaca was just amazing the aroma was so rich and complexe it's hard to describe.
The Habanero was quite a surprise too.
The Habanero had a very very strong smell of cocoa beans.

Do all Habanero have a cocoa smell? I've read a lot on the internet but none mentions the cocoa smell.

I can't get fresh Habaneros in Canada :lol:
So of course I brougth back a bag of seeds to start growing them back home.

habman said:
Hi Guys,
Just starting out with peppers.
My last trip to Mexico (playa del carmen) in september realy got me into peppers.
I went to the a mexicain grocery store and got 4 kinds of Hot peppers: Cuaresmen,serrano,Habanero and Chilaca.

The Chilaca was just amazing the aroma was so rich and complexe it's hard to describe.
The Habanero was quite a surprise too.
The Habanero had a very very strong smell of cocoa beans.

Do all Habanero have a cocoa smell? I've read a lot on the internet but none mentions the cocoa smell.

I can't get fresh Habaneros in Canada :lol:
So of course I brougth back a bag of seeds to start growing them back home.

Welcome, Habman. None of my habs smell like cocoa, though. Interesting. I wonder what thats about.

Welcome from a fellow Canadian.

I've never smelled cocoa in habs, interesting. If you're still looking for fresh habs come summer time, give me a shout. I too had to start growing my own due to lack of supply. By the way does Habman mean you're a habs(Mtrl, Canadiens) fan or just a habanero fan. Huet rocks!!

Welcome Aboard Habman!!! Hook up with Potawie. He knows his peppers. He makes one heck of a good Fatalii sauce as well.

Thanks for the welcome, this board looks really fun.

Interesting indeed. I wonder if the grocery store clerk forgot to wash his hands before handling the Habaneros...
No seriously they really had a strong cocoa smell.

I took a small bite from the tip of the Habanero....nothing no heat nothing...so a took another small bite. Again nothing no heat.
Ok now I was p&%$ so a took a large chunk that had seeds and all.
OMG it took 2 seconds then my throat was on fire and my entire mouth too.
I had no bottled water in my hotel room. So I had to endure the pain.
The heat was so intense I actually had to lie down on the bed for a good 30 min before the pain went away.
From that day on I was hooked on Habaneros. Thus the name Habman.

Last time I watched a hockey game was in the 90s before the hockey strike. No respect for fans....

btw does Potawie = Pot Ah Oui ? Just an inside joke :)

>> If you're still looking for fresh habs come summer time, give me a shout.

habman said:
Thanks for the welcome, this board looks really fun.

Interesting indeed. I wonder if the grocery store clerk forgot to wash his hands before handling the Habaneros...
No seriously they really had a strong cocoa smell.

I took a small bite from the tip of the Habanero....nothing no heat nothing...so a took another small bite. Again nothing no heat.
Ok now I was p&%$ so a took a large chunk that had seeds and all.
OMG it took 2 seconds then my throat was on fire and my entire mouth too.
I had no bottled water in my hotel room. So I had to endure the pain.
The heat was so intense I actually had to lie down on the bed for a good 30 min before the pain went away.
From that day on I was hooked on Habaneros. Thus the name Habman.

4.gif
Another Chilehead was born..I love stories like this!

I don't find a whole lot of smell to any green habs. Maybe they were a special strain like cappuccino hab. More likely they were transported with mexican chocolate or other herbs/spices probably in an old VW van. By the way, I loved Playa del carmen when I went a few years ago although I just missed chile season.

Pot, Ah Oui!

Yeah I was thinking the same... Chocolate habs. But never thought they actually "smelled" anything like it.

The Habs were just plain orange habs.
I don't think the scent was from contamination.
Maybe I just took apricot scent for cocoa.
Oh well guess I will have to go back to Mexico to figure this out :hell:
I do have the seeds from Mexico. With any luck I should have some fresh habs in a couple of months.

I suffer/enjoy/relish in the other sense boosting condition of anosmia (no sense of smell) so I can not comment on individual pepper smells. But based off of my botsed sense of feel, I would say that the habanero feels like gasoline. It has the very same "thickness" to the air.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that you have "unripend" peppers there(based on the pictures).....Once you have actual "ripe" peppers, then you'll realize that there is no comparison (both in heat, flavor, and I'm assuming smell) to the "green" peppers. :hell:

>>I would say that the habanero feels like gasoline.>once you have actual "ripe" peppers, then you'll realize that there is no comparison (both in heat, flavor, and I'm assuming smell) to the "green" peppers.

habman said:
The ripness of a pepper does not affect heat level. They will only have a rounder and sweeter taste.In fact I think a more mature pepper is less hot then a green one.
I'm going to have to completely dissagree with you on this. I've eaten way too many peppers to beleive that green contains the same amount of heat.

I concur as well. Down here in Florida, the ripened(red and corked) jalapenos are dramatically hotter than the green ones.

Interesting. I have always heard that green pepper have the same heat that red (mature) pepper have.
Hum another noob mistake on my part.

habman said:
Interesting. I have always heard that green pepper have the same heat that red (mature) pepper have.
Hum another noob mistake on my part.
It's alright...you only have three more noob mistakes left, thu. :hell:

Back