• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ballzworth 2010 Grow Log

Things are off to an early start.

Here's the grow list:

Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut
7 Pot
Trinidad Scorpion
Naga Morich
Red Savina
Yellow Devil's Tongue
Fatalli
Orange Habanero
Paper Lanter Habanero
White Habanero
Caribbean Red
Jamaican Hot
Scotch Bonnet (2 varieties)
Tasmanian Habanero
Pumpkin Habanero
Aji Limon
Mustard Habanero
Bishops Crown
Ancho Poblano
Tabasco
Bonda Ma Jacques
Cili Goronong

Here's what I got growing on so far, primarily the super hots...excellent germination rate, all of them between 6 and 9 days.

DSCF2493.jpg

DSCF2485.jpg

I have a bunch of 42 watt CFL's as well once they get a bit bigger.

Should be a good year.

Best of luck to everyone else! ;)

Looks good. Keep an eye on those peat pots though. They will suck the moisture right out of the soil.

The yellow devils tongue is one I would like to try as well. Couldn't find a place in the states that had it in stock, and I was already ordering several other varieties and had to try to limit myself some. Probably get it next time.

Good luck!
jacob

Yeah I've noticed the peat pots dry up very quickly, which can be a good thing so a lot of water isn't soaking the roots for too long but it definitely needs some attention.

I received the last of my seeds today and instead of receiving the Brazilian Starfish, they included the Numex BigJim and Numex Sandia. Is the Sandia basically an anaheim (but not quite as big) style pepper? anyone fans of the BigJim or Sandia?

Hi Ballzworth,

Nice setup, nice varieties too. Is that regular aluminum foil or some kind of mylar/special reflection foil you've got there?

Regards,
Michael

Looking real good. I like your setup and should work real nice for you. I bought the survival emergency blankets at Walmart for like $1.25 a piece and used that instead of Mylar. Same sort of material and works great too. Keep us posted.

my_key said:
Hi Ballzworth,

Nice setup, nice varieties too. Is that regular aluminum foil or some kind of mylar/special reflection foil you've got there?

Regards,
Michael

thanks my_key. it's just plain old aluminum foil. I didn't get too fancy I just wanted something that may help out a bit. I like Pepperfreaks idea of the emergency blankets. I may switch things up for my future germinations to experiment with the difference in progress.

After 3 weeks following germination I'm a bit concerned with the time it's taking for my plants to get going. Most of these are superhots and they just don't seem to be growing, especially when I see other peoples plants in the same amount of time. They're just barely starting their 2nd set of leaves. Does this seem a bit slow? Any advice? I have them under flourescents about 14 hours per day and let them sit in the sun during the day.

DSCF2496.jpg

klorentz said:
How are your temps? temps will play a big roll in the growth rate?

Kevin

that's a good point. I basically have room temperature or a bit warmer. Anywhere from 20C (68F) - 26C. I'm thinking I should have them at a consistent 28C which may help. thanks!

When I used peat pots, I also saw very slow growth. The plants never seemed to thrive. Only used them 1 year and never again. I prefer the plastic inserts. Jiffy sells a greenhouse set with 3 72 plastic cell inserts, 3 trays, ad 3 domes for about $10 or so. I got mine a few years ago from Lowe's and they are still good to use. Might be something to think about for next year. If you have them in the sun, I would keep an eye out for the peat pots drying out as well. They tend to suck the moisture right out of the soil.

If they are getting their first set of real leaves, I would repot into plastic pots, cups, styrofoam cups....etc and maybe give a very weak shot of fertilizer, like maybe 1/4 strength and see if that helps.

Good luck!
jacob

Hey Ballz, looking good bro. I noticed in the first pics dated the 18th some of the leaves were drooping, mine are doing the same thing. Then when you said they're growing real slow I thought, same as mine again. Then you said your temps get down to 68F I thought, mine get down to 62F. That explains things to me. Thanks.

Is it possible that due to the cool that the growth we're getting is under the dirt as in strong roots?

Glad to hear the seeds germinated for you too. Thanks

jjs7741 said:
If they are getting their first set of real leaves, I would repot into plastic pots, cups, styrofoam cups....etc and maybe give a very weak shot of fertilizer, like maybe 1/4 strength and see if that helps.

Thanks, I'll try potting up sooner than later. Next year I'll try something other than peat strips. They do dry out extremely fast so it's tricky to constantly keep your eyes on them.

patrick said:
Hey Ballz, looking good bro. I noticed in the first pics dated the 18th some of the leaves were drooping, mine are doing the same thing. Then when you said they're growing real slow I thought, same as mine again. Then you said your temps get down to 68F I thought, mine get down to 62F. That explains things to me. Thanks.

Is it possible that due to the cool that the growth we're getting is under the dirt as in strong roots?

Glad to hear the seeds germinated for you too. Thanks

I certainly hope that this means the roots are thriving! I'm a bit skeptical though. I potted one of the up and the roots weren't very prominent yet. It's like mine just stopped growing and I didn't think that 68 degrees would be too cool for them. Fortunately it's still very early so I'm not in any rush but I'm worried about future growth being stunted. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress for any tips and hopefully we've got nothing to worry about!

Tray of super hots.

I think it's time for potting up to 16oz cups which is good cuz I don't like the peat pots. In the end I plan on keeping about 10 of the following 50 plants. I'm amazed by the difference in growth as well.

SuperHotTrayFeb142010.jpg

SuperHotTray2Feb142010.jpg

I have two other trays of Chinense and Annuums that are a bit behind. They all seem to be taking their time so I'm glad I started early.

Hey Ballzworth
Plastic is the way to go to start of seedlings dude. Peat pots get a little mouldy and i find they dont grow as well. Tried them last year. Never again. Of course in are area it seems thats all they sell. Like the set up.

madhatter said:
Hey Ballzworth
Plastic is the way to go to start of seedlings dude. Peat pots get a little mouldy and i find they dont grow as well. Tried them last year. Never again. Of course in are area it seems thats all they sell. Like the set up.

I hear ya. actually one of my other trays that I haven't posted yet is plastic and I love it. the moldiness is definitely an issue with peat. From now on it's only plastic for me. what are you growing this year?

Ballzworth said:
I hear ya. actually one of my other trays that I haven't posted yet is plastic and I love it. the moldiness is definitely an issue with peat. From now on it's only plastic for me. what are you growing this year?

Ok heres the list
Hab Senegal
Hab Uganda
Red Dominica
Hab yellow
Savina
Fransisca
Red Devils Tongue
Hab Golden
Burkina Yellow
Gambia orange
Gambia red
Cumari ou passarinho
Bonda ma jacque
Surinam yellow and red(madame jeanette)
Cleos dragon
Jamaican hot chocolate
Congo red, yellow and black
Scotch bonnet red, yellow, orange, TFM, and long
Joes long cayenne and super 2
goronong yellow, red
goat weed
SBS Demon hab
SBS Choc fatalii x
Harold st barts
Trinidad bush
Equadorian pepper from hell
rocoto peron
St Martin hab
Costa Rica scotch
and few more

Super hots Death row
Seven pot( regular, douglah, sr strain, seven pot regular yellow cross(my own experiment)
Bhut red, chocolate and the yellow strain from asian garden
Naga
T scorpion red, yellow, marouga red blend

Silver_Surfer said:
10 out of 50??? I surely see more than 10 winners in that lot. :)

Yes it's a sad state. Unfortunately I have space restrictions and will have to exercise some serious control at plant out time. I hate to eliminate any of them that are doing well, but better to plant lots and pick the best ones than plant too little and have to work with potentially weak ones. It is unfortunate though. I planted 250 seeds, over 200 of them germinated and I'll be keeping 50 plants or so for the season.

madhatter said:
Ok heres the list
Hab Senegal
Hab Uganda
Red Dominica
Hab yellow
Savina
Fransisca
Red Devils Tongue
Hab Golden
Burkina Yellow
Gambia orange
Gambia red
Cumari ou passarinho
Bonda ma jacque
Surinam yellow and red(madame jeanette)
Cleos dragon
Jamaican hot chocolate
Congo red, yellow and black
Scotch bonnet red, yellow, orange, TFM, and long
Joes long cayenne and super 2
goronong yellow, red
goat weed
SBS Demon hab
SBS Choc fatalii x
and perhaps a few more

Super hots Death row
Seven pot( regular, douglah, sr strain, seven pot regular yellow cross(my own experiment)
Bhut red, chocolate and the yellow strain from asian garden
Naga
T scorpion red, yellow, marouga red blend

that is an awesome list. we'll have to do some trading. If there's anything you want of mine, just let me know.

Quick update. Things are starting to take off. So far, here is the first 1/3 of pot-ups. I was hoping that these red cups would hold them until June 1 when I plant out, but I'm afraid I may have started way too early. Is root bound really something I should be that concerned with? If so then I have a lot of 8inch pots to buy in my near future....let alone space issues.

DSCF2535.jpg

Back