• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Holiday Tip

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Going away for the holidays? Give hot sauce as gifts so you don't have to bring your own :hell:

thehotpepper.com said:
Going away for the holidays? Give hot sauce as gifts so you don't have to bring your own :)

Amen to that Bro! You see, it's a WIN-WIN deal no matter how you look at it. Here's where the really HOT sauces come in handy as gifts. If it's too HOT for the recipient, they would most likely give it back to you because they know that you love it. If they do like it, then they will buy more, then on future visits to their place you can eat "their stuff". Oh yeah, one more thing, if they do like it be sure to hide yer stuff when they come to visit you! :hell:

Exactly! As a hot sauce maker it's even more win-win for you.

11.gif

This idea can totally backfire though. What happens is they think, "This guy likes hot sauces, maybe I'll get him some for *input celebratory reason*." Invariably, you will get Frank's, Crystal, and something loaded with vinegar they found at the dollar store. This then becomes the norm.

I'm not bitter because they don't know any better, I just tell my friends and family not to get me any because I have too many already.

Imagine imaguitargod aka The Hot Sauce Guy gets a case of Frank's from his work buddies for X-mas and goes postal with the Wii gun.

That was the same concern as with the Fiery Foods Challenge in Dallas this past September. Your best bet is to pack some Priority Mail boxes in your luggage. The day you are leaving to fly home, have them shipped out from your hotel to where it is you want them sent to. A few vendors actually had people fill out slips, and had the products mailed out to them from the vendor after the show. Plan ahead, as you never know what the rules are in an airport from day to day.

I always send my gifts ahead anyway. Just order online, have them shipped.

dreamtheatervt said:
This idea can totally backfire though. What happens is they think, "This guy likes hot sauces, maybe I'll get him some for *input celebratory reason*." Invariably, you will get Frank's, Crystal, and something loaded with vinegar they found at the dollar store. This then becomes the norm.

I'm not bitter because they don't know any better, I just tell my friends and family not to get me any because I have too many already.

Didn't backfire! Got some nice stuff!

Attachments

• frontera.jpg
    frontera.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 132
I don't really like the Frontera... there's a lot of water in their sauces, I guess that's how they cut costs while still using good ingredients. Also, something strange happens to them in the fridge, the green sauce separated and at the top there was black and white goo. Even if you shook it it was still funky! Haven't opened the others yet.

DEFCON Creator said:
The day you are leaving to fly home, have them shipped out from your hotel to where it is you want them sent to.

You can pack it in your luggage, just not carry on. I travel with sauce all the time -- pack it in a ziplock bag for a little extra insurance, then wrap it in clothing. It will be safer than it is with the way most vendors send via UPS.

GrillingGreg said:
You can pack it in your luggage, just not carry on. I travel with sauce all the time -- pack it in a ziplock bag for a little extra insurance, then wrap it in clothing. It will be safer than it is with the way most vendors send via UPS.

I do have to differ with you on this one. The last Fiery Foods show in Albuquerque, I heard dozens of tales of Customs opening bottles, and not closing them tightly, hence a bunch of useless hot sauce (many were collectors bottles), not to mention broken bottles probably from the gentle handling the lovely baggage guys gave the luggage at the airport. We have been shipping via USPS and UPS every day for a few years now, and have virtually no problems.

Back