Hello

Hello thought id introduce myself, im a complete begginer regarding chilli's. I found the site via someones blog, (Chilli Nuts). Im a keen amatuer gardener and home cook. Been reading your site all morning and decided to call at my local PAK supermarket for some fresh scotch bonnets and s few other bits and bobs so i can have a go at a sauce later. Last year i grew some Apache chillis and although i never tried them myself my friends tell me they were pretty toasty. So this year i plan to grow Cayenne, Habs and Bonnets for use in indian cooking and possibly chilli sauce. Heres what i plan to use in the sauce later. Please excuse me if you notice any similaritys to your recipes i have taken influemnce form a lot of them.

7 or 8 scotch bonnets
2 Salad Tomatoes
1 Fine Chopped Red Pepper
2 Cloves of Garlic
1tbs Tomato Puree
2 Spoons of Honey (or Golden Syrup)
15-20% White Malt Vinegar
2 Tbs Brown Cane Sugar

Im going for sweet btw.

A lot of the above is what i happed to have in so if anyone thinks im making any fatal mistake please let me know. I will of coarse simmer this lot to reduce it to the desire consistency.

w00dy

Ok i did it i made a hot chilli sauce, i must be honest tho i pussied out a little bit, i was so worried that it would be unedible that i only put in 6 Scotch Bonnets, along with 2 garlic gloves, 1 red onion, 2 heaped tbls of brown sugar, i red bell pepper two tomato's and distilled malt vineger, blended it all up and then reduced on a simmer for about an hour. Like the consistency, and it takes sweet like i hoped, dont like the smel to muchl but its about as hot as i think i can comfortably eat. Do you ever get used to the capsicum? what i mean is do you get used to the heat so that eventualy you can eat hotter and hotter stuff?

if you want to see a pic there one on my blog http://noobveg.blogspot.com/

thanks for all the welcomes guys

w00dy

Hello w00dy,

Your entry here won't be complete without my putting you at Rest.

Welcome from Southfield Michigan.

May You Soul Rest In Peppers

HERE

4150732978_2acf096431_o.jpg

NJA

If you boil your Hot sauce for extended period of time, chances are you will lose the flavor (flavour for you) and will be left with only HEAT. My 2 pennies

Thanks fopr the input NJA, i brought the sauce to a boil then just simmered for about an hour, would this have same effect as boiling for an hour?, what do you think i should do next time?

w00dy

ohh Bonus, i just made some homemade burgers and when i was putting the spares in the freezer i found a bag with some of my apache chilli that i grew back in the summer ( my first ever) so im going to make another sauce next weekend with theese, my friend who tried then rated them as "a ittle bit hotter than birds eye's" so they should be worth a try.

w00dy

w00dy,

Boiling for about 10 to 15 minutes should take care of most of the microbes . Rest will be killed with vinegar.
This will not only preserve Pepper aroma but also will not spoil taste.

Try adding some spices that you like before boiling.

NJA

Back