commercial-kichen NJ : co-packer and commercial kitchen rental

Hi

I came upon this forum Sat night while doing research on starting a spicy/hot sauce and pickle business. Very encouraged to see the sharing in this forum. I am in NJ. I am still testing out my sauces and pickles at home. A few questions. How do I go about locating a co-packer who will pack spicy sauces and pickles? What’s the smallest batch production that a co-packer will do? Are the “test runs” usually part of the contract? Does the co-packer have cheaper ingredient suppliers? My plan is to start selling on a weekend Farmers’ market (marketing) – would it be more economical for me to produce them in a commercial kitchen versus going straight to a co-packer?

I have been doing my research for a few months on renting a commercial kitchen in NJ for (and specifically) in Central NJ. It is not easy! Any to recommend on part time rental arrangement?

Thanks

Chillipadi

Certainly can. Chillipadi, I would stick with the commercial kitchen for now. If you are looking to do farmers markets and the like, you probably won't need 500+ jars of product to start. If you need help locating commercial space, and you are in Central Jersey, contact Rutgers University's culinary department, and they may be able to find you space either cheaper or closer to where you live.

Co-packers are fine if your volume begins to grow. Co-packers minimum batch sizes can vary widely, as can their prices.

Chillipadi said:
Hi

I came upon this forum Sat night while doing research on starting a spicy/hot sauce and pickle business. Very encouraged to see the sharing in this forum. I am in NJ. I am still testing out my sauces and pickles at home. A few questions. How do I go about locating a co-packer who will pack spicy sauces and pickles? What’s the smallest batch production that a co-packer will do? Are the “test runs” usually part of the contract? Does the co-packer have cheaper ingredient suppliers? My plan is to start selling on a weekend Farmers’ market (marketing) – would it be more economical for me to produce them in a commercial kitchen versus going straight to a co-packer?

I have been doing my research for a few months on renting a commercial kitchen in NJ for (and specifically) in Central NJ. It is not easy! Any to recommend on part time rental arrangement?

Thanks

Chillipadi

Greetings Chillipaddi:

Don't know about pickles, but for sauce, my co-packer can do it all cheaper than I could out of the house. The initial test run was for 75 gallons opposed to the normal 150. I over saw the entire process, signed off on each step and physically left the plant with about sixty cases of my Carolina Pepper Sauce. The cost was 250.00 for the test run + the cost of the ingredients, bottles, caps, shrink wrap, etc. The final cost per bottle was about .12 cents /bottle cheaper. They used top quality ingredients and over all, I was happy with the first run.

My co-packer made a major mistake on my 4th run and over 100 cases went out accross the country. It almost put me out of business. I now have them send me a bottle to my house after every batch before I allow shipment out to customers. This is a good quality control.

Hope this helps.

Blue's
www.bluesbbq.net

Thanks & follow up questions

Greetings to all (The Hot Pepper, DEFCON Creator, Blue's and Macro Sauces). Great advice!:)

Follow up questions. Assuming I managed to rent a commercial kitchen, what's the protocol regarding clean up, bringing some of own gadets to supplement theirs.

Also, any special concerns regarding liability since I doing my packing in a commercial kitchen.

I will be sure to let you know how I make out after calling Rutgers.

Chillipadi

Better have liability especially if you make your own in a kitchen...something happens and you don't have it, your assets going to cover damage..!!!
I think you don't want that...

hemi1500 said:
Hey Blue's.... Did they do everything as far as cooking goes, you just supervised, they used your choices of ingredients and cooking steps??

They did 100% of everything. They had me walk them thru all the steps, showed me all of the ingredients they were using, added them one at a time while cooking and had me sign off on each step. I even watched their bottling, labeling and boxing process. It was a great experience.

Blue's

I know when I was looking around at Comm.Kitchens vs. Co-packer. At comm. kitchens I would make and bottle all the sauces I wanted to make and pay them for use of their kitchen. My co-packer does it all for me. Although they want me to be present when they run a batch of my product to check it and approve it prior to bottling.

Back