Hi from Sydney!

Hi all,

My name is Mel and I live in the western suburbs of Sydney.. I've been a bit of a chilli head for a while but only started growing my own this year.. starting from a jalepeno to now having 14 chilli plants of varying variety and about 25 seedlings on their way up (hope they make it through winter!!)..

I've been making chilli sauce with the pods I've been getting and cant wait for my hot plants to start producing! (habs, scotch bonnets, bhut jolokia).. the sauces so far have had great feedback and I've also been playing with some jalepeno poppers. mmmm.. tasty - how can you go wrong with cheese and bacon and chilli??

Anyways, as I said live in western sydney, work for a bank and loooove chili :) I've been stalking the forum for quite some time and thought it was time to join.. this forum is a fantastic resource for all things chilli related - I just wish there were more aussie based chilli resources!!

Thanks!
Mel

LOL - quick responses!!! yes, newcastle is just a quick 3 hour drive.. well maybe 2 if I'm driving.. Lol.. Sweden and Texas on the other hand might be a bit longer :P You may regret the offer of questions down the track, but so far things are going good.. cooked up a tasty batch of chilli sauce tonight (my fingers are still burning!! must buy some gloves!!)

MrArboc - there tends to be more info on chilli growing in the UK and US rather than australia.. I'm not in a tropical area.. although it does get quite hot out here.. summer time I'm good.. its the winter time coming up that I'm worried about! Our house is going to be filled with chilli plants i think! Unless of course, we build a greenhouse (which is not out of the question!!)

thanks for the warm welcomes :) I'm sure you will all be sick of my harassment shortly :P

Mel

Hahaaa.. Novacastrian.. I drive a dodgy european Citroen but still reckon I'll make it in two hours :P.. I've checked out Neil's website but havent ordered any sauces yet.. watched many a youtube video though and have been impressed! I'll definitely have to check out some of his sauces..

Was considering coming up to the Sawtell chilli festival but thats looking unlikely and from what I've heard the Morpeth one is not that impressive - what do you think? worth the drive for the Morpeth festival or not?

mel said:
I'm sure you will all be sick of my harassment shortly :P

Don't worry, we'll just tell moyboy to ban you when that happens.

I can also recommend The Hippy Seed Company for sauce and seeds. Great guy, and of course a valued member here!

Hello and welcome from Melbourne.

mel said:
I've checked out Neil's website but havent ordered any sauces yet.. watched many a youtube video though and have been impressed! I'll definitely have to check out some of his sauces..

I'll vouch for his sauces too, I reckon I've bought around 20 bottles over the last year, his NagaSav kicks arse. Afterburner is great too.

I wouldn't go out of your way to attend the Morpeth gig. I have it on good authority that it sucks a$$. I have not been myself though.

I went to the last Sawtell and that was OK. The actual festival is not why i enjoyed myself as much as i did though. It had to do with partying with some great blokes! :D

Thanks for the recommendations.. I will definitely be getting some sauce!

here is my attempt of chilli sauce tonight.. just out of the ones I picked that were ripe.. third attempt after last week doing a hot sauce (carrot and garlic based) and a sweet sauce.. came out alright although the sweet sauce almost ended up like toffee!

IMG_1780.jpg

Here is a before pic of my poppers:

IMG_1778.jpg

and here is after..

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

came out a little overdone as I wanted the bacon crispy but still came out tasty!!

I do believe that you are the only person on their forth post to get a HBR. If you don't know what that is you will soon enough.

I expect to see you in some throwdowns lady!

BTW the sauce looks good too ;)

a HBR?? WTF?? apologies.. but had a few beers tonight and havent a clue what you're on about?? come on.. fill me in!

A HBR is known around here as a "Hot Blue and Riteous". I have no authority to give you that rating however but i will anyway!!

It means that your food looks fit for a king!

LOL - thanks, but its a bit hard to go wrong with bacon, cheese and chilli :) bacon makes anything taste great! (plus my flash photography skills help as well :P)

Back