SEEDS IMPORT LICENCE from USDA

I am happy as Happy Can Be.
I received my Capsicum sp. seeds import licence for 3 years.

Flip side of the story is, It will take 3 years for this dumb goat head to understand HOW TO USE IT:lol:

NJA

so you got a permit that covers all species of the genus Capsicum?....

I had to apply for a specific variety license when I was trying to get Dorset Nagas from England...

AlabamaJack said:
so you got a permit that covers all species of the genus Capsicum?....

I had to apply for a specific variety license when I was trying to get Dorset Nagas from England...

I have got a blanket permit to import small lot of seeds . It does not specify which permissible variety .
I can import any seeds that are allowed.

Funny thing is, I do not know where the package will go first. Quarantine in NYC? or will it come directly to me if I get it thro post.

I do not even know if I can physically carry the seeds back to USA .

Many many grey areas.
If you know, please let me know.

NJA

that is really nice man...I know this...when I was trying to import the DN seeds, they were going to first go to Houston (my import regional office) then shipped on to me...one thing...if that happens, you need to make sure the postage from the import office regional is covered or else the will sit there for a while then be discarded...

The allowed part is what is the grey area....there is list somewhere of what Capsicum species/varieties are allowed to be imported into the USA...if it is not on that list, then you will have to get the specific permit like I did....

let me see if I can find the listing or where you can find it...

can't find it right now, but I think it is on the APHIS site somewhere...

You can write in "eligible Taxa" on the line and it will be ok to import any seed that is allowable to come in. Flip side is every package that comes in will be opened and inspected and anything that is not labeled correctly or not allowed will be confiscated and the allowable ones will be left alone and allowed in.

And to my understanding, you are able to bring plant material that is admissable by person with a phytosanitary certificate from country of origin, but no more then 12 articles. Check the APHIS site to be sure.

When I got my permit, I couldn't find anywhere that capsicums were not allowed in as seeds. They are prohibited in all other forms from all countries except Canada. They are classified as FSA-V for seeds, which your permit covers. Just make sure the labeling requirements are met.

When you guys talk about import permits do these cover you for the like of large scale import, surely you don't need one if you are only ordering a couple of packs for your own garden, or need one if you were getting seeds sent over by me?
I've not had any problems sending seeds to north or south america other that the time it takes!!

This permit is for small lots of seeds to be imported. It is basically just paperwork, no cost to get or anything. It covers up to 50 packs or seeds, with up to 50 seeds per packet or variety without a phytosanitary certificate. More than that requires the certificate I believe.

I got mine 6 months ago and haven't used it yet. I have gotten seeds from England, Australia, Canada, and Spain with no trouble. As long as the envelope doesn't have "seed company" on it, there is a low risk of it being opened and confiscated.

jacob

Davetaylor said:
ah right so just something that keep a paper pusher in a job somewhere!!!!!!!!!

Something like that. I would like to hope that it is labelling and paperwork to make it easier on customs officers so they don't have to guess if a seed is generally safe and allowed to enter, but my government is known to waste money for fun.;)

jacob

jjs7741 said:
This permit is for small lots of seeds to be imported. It is basically just paperwork, no cost to get or anything. It covers up to 50 packs or seeds, with up to 50 seeds per packet or variety without a phytosanitary certificate. More than that requires the certificate I believe.

I got mine 6 months ago and haven't used it yet. I have gotten seeds from England, Australia, Canada, and Spain with no trouble. As long as the envelope doesn't have "seed company" on it, there is a low risk of it being opened and confiscated.

jacob

Yes. I too have got seeds from India thrice without any licence .
Any how, I feel safe with licence with me.

NJA

jacob

This thread is a bit old but I thought I would post the info here, here is the link for the aphis site as it relates to Plant Import. What I am interested in is export licenses for pepper products, seeds, fresh peppers, sauces, etc... I am willing to bet there are few if any into this, but I thought I would give it a shot. In the meantime I will be "mining" the aphis site, and will report back on anything useful or worthwhile.

Ghosty...

P.S jjs I like your advice, I will keep that in mind when ordering seeds or sending them abroad, but I am sure all the sellers outside the US already know this and act accordingly.

Back