• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Super Bowl MVP (Mouthwatering Vanguard Plate)

Vote for the most appetizing, innovative dish suitable for a Super Bowl party.

• Pepperfreak - Fiery Philly Cheese Steak Eggrolls

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • AlabamaJack - There Ain't No Shrimp On This Field

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • heartbreakingdawns - Annihilgator Empanadas w/Bhut-Blackberry Sauce

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • JayT - JayT's Who Dat Cajun Crab Dip

• mel - Mel's Super-Balls

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • moyboy - Pippy's Sweet and Spicy Balls of Fun

• salsalady - Shrimp Ceviche

• texas blues - TB's Bhut Fry Cup

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • SumOfMyBits - Yamburger Sliders Extra Angry!!!

• ImpyChick - Impy's Wing Poppers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • paulky_2000 - Poppin' Spring Rolls

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Vote for the most appetizing, innovative dish suitable for a Super Bowl party.

Well, here is my last teaser as it is time for finished plates. Hope I can at least a few votes. :lol:
DSCF3802.jpg

Fiery Philly Cheese Steak Eggrolls
DSCF3808.jpg

DSCF3806.jpg

Ingredients​
Sweet Onions
Green Bell Pepper
Red Sweet Pepper
Roast Beef
1 1/2 cops of shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 cups of Shredded Pepper-Jack Cheese
Sea Salt
Pepper-pepper
Jolokia Powder
Tabasco Powder
Fatalli Powder
Dipping Sauce​
Extra Hot Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce with sesame seeds added

Title of entry is "There ain't no shrimp on THIS field"

green jalapeno cornbread for the playing surface, cream cheese for the striping, celery for the goal posts...Saints on the left in the gold jerseys with black helmets, Colts on the right in the blue jerseys and white helmets (black helmets = black olives, white helmets = white cocktail onions), standard dips, cocktail sauceup top and tartar below, both garnished with cilantro....the SB44 in the middle picture is slices of jalapeno...the drink on the right is my planters punch and Lindas drink on the left is diet coke and Captain Morgans Spiced Rum...th shrimp were boiled in Zatarans Crab Boil with about an ounce of cayenne powder added to the mix and a little Bhut Puree...the cocktail sauce has a little Scorpion puree...

020710d003.jpg

020710d002.jpg

020710d003-1.jpg

bon apetite!!!!

have already had one plate full...these shrimp weigh close to two ouces each....I had 5....BURRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! 'scuse me...

nzeyva.jpg

Well here is my entry. ANNIHILGATOR EMPANADAS W/ BHUT-BLACKBERRY SAUCE.
I baked 1/2 lb of gator seasoned with salt, white pepper and cumin.
and sauteed:
1/4 cup scallion
1 cup shitake
1 cup carrot
1/4 cup redpepper
they are sauteed in a fresh habanero compound butter, about 1.5 tbs butter and 1 red habanero pureed.

When these items were done I put them in a food processor, vegetable and gator, to make a chop mix.
Then wrapped them in the batter which is a basic flake crust, flour, salt, shortening, cold water.
Then DEEP FRY!!!!!
The Sauce is:
3 cup black berries
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbs rice vinegar
1 tsp Bhut Powder
after reducing and a litte smashing, i topped it off with fresh ground cinnamon.

I hope you enjoy them as much as ours stomachs have been!

What we have here is JayT's Who Dat Cajun Crab Dip

Ingredients include:
steamed snow crab legs and claw meat, butter, shallot, jalapeno, hot pickled garlic, heavy cream, cream cheese, Gruyere cheese, lemon zest and juice, Heartbreaking Dawn's Lemon Ice hot sauce, fatalii puree, cajun seasoning, naga powder, Old Bay seasoning, tarragon, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, parmesan cheese, panko bread crumbs.

I steamed the crab first, then heated the butter, sauteed the shallot, garlic, and jalapeno for a minute before adding the cream. Next the rest of the ingredients were mixed in and simmered to combine and meld the flavors. The crabmeat was folded in and the whole thing was topped with panko and parmesan and put in a 350F oven until golden brown and bubbly (about 40 minutes)

100_0159.jpg

100_0158.jpg

100_0167.jpg

Very impressive guys! I dont think I have a chance in hell after seeing the impressive entries you all have.. looks very tasty :)

Here's mine.. not sure if it will post properly as I'm posting from work and have restricted access to the photo site.. i'll check it from my phone to make sure its gone through... otherwise will post tonight when i get home..

I present to you... Mel's Super-Balls..

Its just a pepper stuffed with double cream brie, tasty cheese, ham and a bit of salt and pepper, wrapped in chicken breast minced with garlic, onion and thai chillis, rolled in breadcrumbs and then fried.. the sauce in the middle is home made hot chilli sauce

here goes..(and yes, they are sposed to be foot-balls)
ingredients
IMG_1864.jpg

super-balls
IMG_1874.jpg

super-ball insides
IMG_1897.jpg

I moved this post so it was in the right area!!!

Ok well here is my entry:

Pippy's Sweet and spicy balls of fun

I googled the super bowl food and didn't really come up with anything all that unique so I started to thing about it....I wanted something that was quick and easy to make with only a few and basic on hand ingredients (incase you ran out and wanted more), something that tasted really good, something that was drop and drunk proof..........So I came up with these babies.....

IMG_1369.jpg

Ingredients are:

350 grams Sweet corn keenels
300 grams unsalted peanuts
200 grams flour
1 brown onion
1 fresh nutmeg (ground)
1 stick of fresh cinnomin (ground)
8 dried cloves (ground)
2 dried allspice berrys (ground)
2 tsps of grated fresh ginger
1 tblsp of fatalii powder

The mixture basically turns into a dough and you roll into balls and deep fry untill they are golden brown. These are so yummy and once you have one you can't stop!!!!

They have a slightly indian almost asian feel to them but just a hint which is the flavour I was going for...and the fatalii powder went really great with the flavours

I finished them off by dipping them in soy sauce which complimented them perfectly....

I set out to make a simple but full of flavour snack that would handle ruff treatment and I think I did well.....

The Boss said- "Something Different, something we haven't seen before-"

And here is my entry into the "something different, something we haven't seen before Superbowl Throwdown"~~~~

SHRIMP CEVICHE!

websieimages006.jpg

This dish is based on a recipe and cooking method developed by Jesse Chaves, chef/owner of Tres Virgines Restaurant in La Paz, BCS, MX. Here is some text from Jesse's original recipe.

"Ok for a little backround on this recipe, i love Shrimp, i hate Shrimp Ceviche. Fish and its delicate texture, seems to marinate perfectly with lime juice, but Shrimp having a more complex texture than Fish, doesn´t seem to "release" its full flavors in a lime marinade. Having tried many recipes and failed at finding one that resolve this problem, i gave up trying to find a recipe a long time ago and started on working on a new complete way of achieving this. So lets see:

1.-I want a Shrimp that marinates good with Lime BUT that also releases its full (Shrimp) flavor.
2.-Raw Shrimp and Lime are simply not too great of partners.
3.-Cooked Shrimp cannot be marinated in lime as the Texture becomes too tight to absorb the lime properly.

Three years later and i found the solution, its been selling like crazy at the Restaurant so i am going to share it."

Based on Jesse's recipe, I developed the BURM- (Big Ugly Rock Method)

Here's the ingredients(I'll list them at the end)-

websieimages001.jpg

1- soak shrimp for 20 minuted is salted ice water. Butterfly and lay out on saran wrap. With another piece of plastic wrap over top of the shrimp, carefully and gently pound the shrimp body until it becomes a carpaccio, not too thick, not too think. Place the shrimp inside a Ziploc plastic freezer bag.

Arrange the bag in a large flat pot and weigh down with a Big Ugly Rock. Pour simmering water over bag and rock until shrimp are submerged. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes, just until shrimp are opaque.

When shrimp are opaque, submerge bag in icewater to chill, toss chilled shrimp in lime juice first, then mix with the rest of the ingredients.

This photo shows the shrimp in the pot, ice water to immediately chill the shrimp when removed from hot water, lime juice in flat bowl on the left and the rest of the ceviche goodies in the bowl back left.

websieimages003.jpg

Bite size pieces~~~
websieimages008.jpg

And the taste? light citrus with a good punch of heat but it doesn't overpower the flavor of the sweet and tender shrimp. Fresh, is the best word, fresh, light, a little crisp from the crackers and chips. The cooking method developed by Jesse is perfect in that it doesn't really cook the shrimp, but they aren't raw either. And the shrimp aren't waterlogged either. Sweet and tender.

Ingredients-
12 large Shrimp, devained, cleaned
2 limes-juice
3 Tablespoon diced Onion.
1 Tablespoon diced Cilantro.
2 Table spoon Olive oil.
1 Table spoon Ponzu sauce or a Light soy sauce.
1 large Pepperoncini pepper
1 habanero pepper
pinch bhut jolokia powder
3 cloves garlic
1/4 avocado
1 Large Ziploc bag.
6 to 8 Cherry Tomatoes halved.
Sea salt.
Pepper.

CHEERS!

TB's Bhut Fry Cup

AJ's Bhut Jolokia Puree in cheese sauce, with PepperFreak dusted fries...

IMG_2046.jpg

Topped with bacon and green chiles..

IMG_2045.jpg

Naw, that was some other HQ. OUrs is made of Busch Light 16ozers. We drank our HQ down, too!

On to the show... one drunken evening a couple nights ago I was falling asleep (read: on the verge of passing out) thinking of making Tostones (fried smashed plantains) for this throwdown when I suddenly awoke out of my state of torpor laughing.

Enter: Yamburger Sliders Extra Angry!!!

Here's the ingreed rundown:
ground nutmeg
ground allspice
home made hab powder
cracked black pepper
sea salt
1 yam
peanut oil
mozzarrella cheese
deli mustard
pickled jalas
onion
hot sauce of choice

IMG_1641.jpg

Cut the yam into about 1/2" slices and throw in CI skillet with 1/4" hot oil and brown on both sides.

IMG_1645.jpg

Pull the yams out and let cool on top of "rub" made of ground nutmeg, ground allspice, hab pow, black pepper, salt... and pull out the coffee mug for smashing.

IMG_1647.jpg

Smash the yams with the bottom of the mug till just starting to squeeze out under the mug. I learned that dusting the top of the yams with more rub spices works well for releasing the smashed yams. Throw the smashed yams back in the hot CI skillet and brown a little longer. Pull out to let cool and toss some chopped onion in the skillet to brown up angry for topping the sliders.

IMG_1650.jpg

Boom! Yamberger sliders topped w/ mozzarella deli mustard, pickled jalas, hot sauce of choice, and some angry onions.

Fast and easy and tasted so surprisingly awesome I'm doing them again soon. It was like eating spiced sweet potato fries as a burger. Get your yam on!

OK, here's mine:

Impy's Wing Poppers

hraq68.jpg

I wish I had time to take more prep pics. I made these in between dinner & the bar (dinner was sushi w/ LOTS of sake, so I definitely had the 3 drink minimum when I was cooking!). First I made the chicken breast tenders w/ wing sauce (sauce was the suicidal sauce from Anchor Bar). In a bowl, I mixed shredded chicken, cream cheese, mozz, & another splash of wing sauce. Stuffed into the jals, & topped w/ more mozz. A couple of the tenders made it into the pic because I thought we could have more than one entry as long as it was all one one plate. My bad :). The poppers were prolly the best ones I've ever made. These even beat the enchilada poppers I made for the popper throwdown. So, my entry combines wings & poppers for a unique twist on two favorites, & the result was delicious!

I just got home from watching the game, & now I'm gonna go through & look @ the other entries. I can't wait!

Okay....

I had SIX viable entries, and I think they ALL could have been contenders....but I chose THIS one to be my "anchor"

I started with fresh jalapenos....stuck them under the broiler, de-skinned them, cut them in half, and scraped-out the seeds:

100_1237.jpg

I then placed each half on it's own egg roll wrapper.

100_1239.jpg

I then topped the pepper with soy sauce steamed cabbage, raw 31-40 shrimp (chopped), crispy, thick-sliced-n-diced bacon, and PF's 7-pod powder. (kudos to you, PF!!)

100_1240.jpg

Rolled-em up....fried them at 375 for 2 minutes......and tossed them on the plate. I served them with a spicy sweet/sour dipping sauce I concocted.
100_1255.jpg

It was so damn good.....the perfect hybrid. Part popper....part spring roll. I will simply call them: Popper-Rolls.....er......Spring-Poppers........crap, call them what you want. I call them delicious!

hey Boss~

I'm just wondering, this poll has been up for 10 hours and only has a few votes posted. I just logged in and went to "new posts" and the throwdown didn't show up on pg1!

could the Throwdown Poll be stickied to New Posts for a day or two?

just checked again on New Posts and no Throwdown.

Just wondering,....

......I had fun doing the Throwdown and I had a couple shrimp leftover marinating in the sauce..................DAMMMMM them was some spicy shrimps in the salad!

there is a TON of information and options on this website, and I still don't know how to navigate it all. One thing I have found curious is the "recent posts" that don't show recent posts until a whole lot later..........

I know there are a LOT more than a dozen folks on this forum who would like to vote, but maybe they can't find the thread..........(or maybe it's just me~~~~~~)

just checked again, didn't see SB throwdown in New Posts

it's probably just me...........

It's not just you Salsa, this is the first time that i have seen this thread.
+1 On the temp sticky.

Just vote.... I'm at a bar right now on my phone reading this... vvvvvoooootttteeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wwwhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Pippy's balls look appetizing but I went for mel's.

SeeYouJimmy said:
While each and every entry was top class, my vote went to AJ for capturing the theme of the day so well.

As did mine. Otherwise i would have handed my vote to PF.

PF leading the way! Go PF!

salsalady there's already 20 votes, that's a lot, look at previous Throwdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back