• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Another 2010 grow log.

I have a very crude grow box made out of two saw horses, two 24" florecent and one 48" florecent. I have a blanket draped over the saw horses to hold in heat. It stays about 85*F when the lights are on. I will be adding another 48" soon.

I currently have 52 cells, 40 pepper and 12 tomato. Plus, I have a Bishops Crown and a Datil that I kept from last year.

All I have started is:

White Habs
Bishops Crown
Spicy Mustard Habs
Scotch Bonnet
Bolivian Rainbow
Long Red Cayenne
Hot Banana
Bhut Jolokia
Birds Eye
Atomic Starfish

The tomatoes I have started are:
TAPS
Orange Glow
White Bianca
Beefsteak

I will also be planting a small variety of herbs. Not sure what yet.

My setup:

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

A few of the seedlings:

Spicy Mustard Hab

DSC_0080.jpg

Scotch Bonnet

DSC_0074.jpg

Atomic Starfish

DSC_0105.jpg

A few of them. Bhut Jolokias are in the middle, Bolivian Rainbow in the back, Atomic Starfish and Scotch Bonnets in the third row and Spicy Mustard Habs are closest. The yellow leaf on the left is the Hot Banana, I over watered it.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

My sick looking Datil... I let it go too long without water

DSC_0097.jpg

Looks like something QuadShotz would come up with, only nicer;)

I would be afraid to cover the lights with a blanket, what if they overheat and a fire is started?

I never thought of that... My bearded dragon's cage is directly above the lights and the blanket is stapled to the cage...

I have had this setup since fall. It only has to last a few more weeks, then everything will be replanted and moved outside.

This summer, I am converting a walk in closet into a grow room.

You could say that. I have a bearded dragon, two firebelly toads, about 30 leopard geckos, a water dragon and a hog nose snake.

Good morning!

Nice site! Are you breeding any of your animals?

The soil in the cups looks too wet, how is the drainage?

Today, I transplanted some of the larger plants from 3oz to 10oz cups. That should hold them until the middle of March, when I plan on putting them in the ground. I still have to till up my grow bed and mix in some composted horse manure.

I also added two 48" T8 daylight bulbs, which should help out alot. That brings it to a total of 86w for the grow box.

Looks like a good start for your season Ratman. Is your Datil an overwintered plant? If so, hows the flavor/heat of the pods? I planted some datils this year and am looking forward to trying them.

P.S. My avatar pepper is bigger than yours LMAO!!! :D

Yea, the datil is saved from last year. The heat is hotter than a cayenne but less than a habernero. It's a bad description, but I had some that had almost no heat and some that blistered my mouth. The flavor is fruity sweet. They are excellent chopped up in a burger.

I just put some more seeds in the dirt a few days ago and already have a few hooks, so I think this will be a real good season.

Only down side is, one of the bulbs in my new fixture doesn't work, so I gotta go exchange it tomorrow... I may replace all of my T12s with T8s as well... The one T8 I have puts out more light than all of my T12s together.

Out of my 50 seeds started, I have about 40 plants so far. At the rate they are growing, I will have to put them in the ground sooner than I planned. Right now, I am just waiting on the weather to cooperate. Right now, it is 86* outside, but is expected to drop to 33* tonight.

Everything is looking good Ratman.
I imagine your climate should be about the same as mine except it would get alot colder there with the fronts.

lookin good. I am growing the atomic starfish this year for the first time and after they get started they grow fast. They are one of the tallest I have growing so far.

Back