• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2010 tomato grow log

Well i decided to create separate grow log for tomatoes since i collected so many varieties. i'm actuallt little short on space so i will have to cut back on something and put them away untill next year. any ideas what varienty isn't worth growing so much?

aunt giny's purple
aunt ruby's german cherry
marianna's peace
magnum
aussie
mexico
big beef hybrid
brandywine / sudduth
reisetomato
costoluto genovese
super marzano VFNT
early woonder
russian rose
believe it or not
giant belgium

berkley tie dye
old german
copia
orange russian
ananas noire

opalka

paul robeson
blank from tula
black sea man
chernyi mavr
cherokee purple
cherokee chocolate

moonglow
timy tim
pappy's amarillo
lady liberty
thessaloniki

I won't grow the reisetomato again, its really just a novelty tomato in my opinion and the clusters don't ripen at the same time meaning you have to pick early or let half the fruit rot.
You probably only need one black variety, I've had success with black from Tula.
Tiny tim is another one that I probably won't grow again. The taste is just OK, and they aren't huge producers like most cherry varieties

+1 on Tiny Tim. I haven't grown a lot of tomatoes so I can't comment on the others, but Tiny Tim is just a waste if space IMHO.

serrano said:
Well i decided to create separate grow log for tomatoes since i collected so many varieties. i'm actuallt little short on space so i will have to cut back on something and put them away untill next year. any ideas what varienty isn't worth growing so much?

aunt giny's purple - actually pink not purple, good flavour, moderate production
aunt ruby's german green - my favourite green when ripe beefsteak
aunt ruby's german cherry - the best green when ripe cherry out of Green Grape, Green Doctors and Thompson Seedless
marianna's peace - very prolific large pink beefsteak, top 5 for me
magnum
aussie
mexico
big beef hybrid
brandywine / sudduth - also in the top 5 for me in the large pink beefsteak category, outstanding flavour
reisetomato - novelty like Derek said..fun to grow for contests like Ugliest Tomato
costoluto genovese - not so great fresh, but ideal for sauce-making

berkley tie dye - beefsteak with green flesh and red streaks, skin is striped also, excellent flavour
old german - one of the earliest large ones to ripen in my garden (65 DTM), a good bicolour
copia - I haven't grown this one but it has gotten unfavourable reviews
orange russian - good choice for containers
ananas noire - this one ripens to purple AND green with a fruity almost melon flavour

opalka - top 5 for me for sauce and just about anything you'd use a tomato for, definitely grow this one (and it's POLISH)

paul robeson - watery for me
blank from tula - my favourite black tomato
black sea man - good choice for containers
chernyi mavr
cherokee purple - excellent flavour, not super producer
cherokee chocolate - better production, same genetics as Cherokee Purple except for skin colour

moonglow - great-tasting orange globes, good production
timy tim - not great flavour
pappy's amarillo
lady liberty

polish pastel - not great fresh, but makes a good bicolour sauce, ketchup or paste (and it's POLISH)
arbuznyi - striped like a watermelon, good flavour
kellogs - I think you mean Kellogg's Breakfast..this is my favourite large orange beefsteak
little lucky - prolific bicolour slicer, sweet fruity flavour, great for salads
green grape - sub-par flavour
box car willie - unthrifty in my garden, died early
thessaloniki - one of the best overall medium red globes, excellent for salads and fresh eating
brad's black heart - good flavour, moderate production
persimon

My favourites from your list would be:

PASTES/SAUCE
Opalka (grow as many of these as your garden will allow) - red
Polish Pastel - bicolour yellow/orange
Costoluto Genovese - red
BEEFSTEAKS
Aunt Ruby's German Green - green
Marianna's Peace - pink
Brandywine Sudduth - pink
Black From Tula - black
Berkeley Tie Dye - green
Old German - bicolour yellow/orange
Cherokee Chocolate - black
Kellogg's Breakfast - orange
CHERRY
Aunt Ruby's German Cherry - green
SALADETTE/SLICER
Moonglow - orange
Thessoloniki - red
Little Lucky - bicolour yellow/orange

You're a bit beefsteak-heavy so you may want to add a few cherries and smaller slicers or saladettes to your setup, but overall, this is a good start!

You have a good selection and it is difficult to narrow down. But I will tell you the ones that didn't do well in my garden and some that do.

Aunt Ginny's Purple - Start off with great production, but prone to BER in my garden.
Aunt Ruby German Green - didn't care for the flavor myself, only got 5 tomatoes off the plant. Cherokee Green is WAY better IMO.
Marianna's Peace - Great tomato and prolific for me, but doesn't get big at all here.
Brandywine Suddith's - My favorite tomato for taste so far. But lucky to get 6 tomatoes per plant in this hot and humid climate.
Opalka - great paste tomato, but doesn't handle stress well. BER in late season.
Paul Robeson - I liked the flavor, but died in july from some disease.
Cherokee Chocolate - I get lots of smaller tomatoes, good flavor.
Cherokee Purple - Great tomato, but not a super producer. You should try Indian Stripe. Also a cherokee tomato, same great flavor but much better producion.
Kelloggs Breakfast - Great tomato, grow it and KBX every year. But Aunt Gertie's Gold is my favorite orange.
Box Car Willie - Good production despite late start, worst spot in the garden, and the sickest seedling I ever saw. Rescued it from Nursery. Flavor just OK.

Not sure if that helps, but I am not good at narrowing down. Usually I go the other way.

Good Luck!
jacob

I have seeds for Russian Rose, Jersey Devil, Super Marzano VFNT, Early Wonder, Red Rocket, Giant Belgium and Believe It Or Not tomatoes. Only that I have started are 2 Super Marzano VFNT's. These are my favorite and seem to be the best producing/most disease resistant varieties I have found. The rest will get started in 2-3 weeks, dont want them growing too fast in the house, plant out isnt for another 2 1/2 months or so.

If you want to try any of these, I could send you a few seeds in trade. :D :D :D

a little update:
DSC_0092800x600.jpg

DSC_0093800x600.jpg

DSC_0095800x600.jpg

DSC_0098800x600.jpg

Ciao Serrano-

Wow, thanks for posting those photos! Your plants look great. You'll want to bury that Opalka fairly deep when you plant it out, all the way up to those cotyledons and it will grow very nicely for you. Don't be put off by the droopy foliage, that's just what Opalka does. That Cisneros tomatillo you have looks fantastic, too. My tomatillos always look a bit sick until they get transplanted, but yours has a nice thick stem and dark green leaves. Well done! :)

I save yogurt tubs for potting things up, too, and also the little individual ones for fermenting my tomato seeds.

hey. i've labeled one with your nick because i have 2 strains going. One from you and other local. I wonder if they will differ a little. BTW whats with the fermenting? Do i need to do that too to save tomato seeds? And does they cross pollinate easily same as peppers?

well i've put them to dirt a week ago along with half of peppers and they were devastated by recent flood and heavy rain fall. maybe some will survive but it's crapy begining of the season for me :S

Wow another tomato grower. Just started mine too a few weeks ago.

I got some tomato seeds coming in from a very charitable member too. Sure hope they arrive soon. Last seeds ibhad arrive from overseas took almost a month long before they got here. Most likely held up in customs by the agriculture department of my country.

Cheers to you. Cant have salsa without tomatoes.

I have 2 Sweet 100, 2 lemon boy, 2 patio, 2 tumbler, 2 juliet and 3 red cherry(I bought all except the red cherry and those just shot up in a pot that housed them last year - they were still producing in November). I have a prime growing location in front of my garage that I have babied the soil for 20 years.

I don't get humidity or a lot of moisture during the summer months and even surface watering can evaporate fast, so I have quit planting the larger beefy style tomatoes as they tend not to be ready until September and by then frost hits and I get a lot of fruit slip. So I am happy with the smaller cherry types. This year I may experiment with watering then cover the soil with a blanket to see if that will retain moisture.

I use to do purple prince but the novalty wore off.

It's been a while since i posted. So here they are :)

some kinf of red cherry tomato
DSC_03631024x768.jpg

aunt ruby's german cherry green
DSC_03671024x768.jpg

DSC_03681024x768.jpg

opalka
DSC_03791024x768.jpg

other opalka
DSC_03921024x768.jpg

DSC_03911024x768.jpg

Back