• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fresno Pods from Mexico

I just bought a package of fresno peppers from the local Wal-Mart.
I noticed that there were 2 or more different shaped pods. How cool is that?
I cut them open to remove the seeds, then ate them. The longer, skinnier, lighter colored ones, are not as hot as the shorter ones with broad shoulders. I have saved and marked all the seed packets (folded and taped up paper towels really) from all the different peppers numbered 1 to 9. The longest light red one is number 1. I took pictures so I would be able to compare my later home grown peppers to the ones in the pics.
People talk about selective breeding and growing, so I thought I would give it a try too.:hell:
fresno4.jpg
fresno5.jpg

They look quite large.

Do you dry your seeds? I'm thinking of preserving some seeds myself, and wondered at the best way to do it.

Must be a cross.

The large orangeish ones are definitely a crossbreed of some type. I am going to call them :) "Large Thin Mild Red-orange Fresnos from Mexico".:P Unless someone can think of a better (shorter) name.
I'm not an expert on seed saving. I just let them dry on a marked (the name and other info) paper towel for a day, then wrap and tape them.

ABurningMouth said:
The large orangeish ones are definitely a crossbreed of some type. I am going to call them :) "Large Thin Mild Red-orange Fresnos from Mexico".:P Unless someone can think of a better (shorter) name.
I'm not an expert on seed saving. I just let them dry on a marked (the name and other info) paper towel for a day, then wrap and tape them.

How about "LTMR-OFfM"s?

Back