• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Has anybody...

...heard of such?

while at the local hardware store i struck a conversation with one of girls that works there and she claims that she uses "boiled egg shells and the boiled eggshell water, and also when shen goes fishing, if she catches fish that are to small to eat or something that she doesnt eat she will cut up the fish into about three pieces and puts them in the soil".and she claims that is one the best natural fertilizers you can use.
Has anyone ever heard of these methods or was she blowin smoke?

GaChileGuy said:
...heard of such?

...when shen goes fishing, if she catches fish that are to small to eat or something that she doesnt eat she will cut up the fish into about three pieces and puts them in the soil"...
Has anyone ever heard of these methods or was she blowin smoke?

When the pilgrims arrived in Plymouth and couldn't get corn to grow, the Indians taught them to put a small fish in the hole along with the seed. The story goes that that fixed the problem.

Jon, do you put meat in the compost bin? We have one too for vegetable and egg refuse, and I put grass cuttings and leaves in there as well. Not opened it up yet to check out the mulch, but I understood that meat was a no-no.

Although, logically, we're all wormfood/ fertiliser in the end, so I don't see why not. Perhaps because it would attract foxes?

Eggshells are great for adding calcium and if you put them around your plants, they help control slugs. I've heard the old-timers talk about putting a fish at the bottom of a hole but you'd have to watch for critters and possibly too much nitrogen. Even using fish emulsion fertilizers can attract animals, and the stuff really stinks but works well. Salmon have been fertilizing forests for centuries thanks to bears.

Shooty* said:
Jon, do you put meat in the compost bin? We have one too for vegetable and egg refuse, and I put grass cuttings and leaves in there as well. Not opened it up yet to check out the mulch, but I understood that meat was a no-no.

Although, logically, we're all wormfood/ fertiliser in the end, so I don't see why not. Perhaps because it would attract foxes?
Yep, I throw in meat. Everything but bone. It works great. But I do have to stir it about every week.

Meat, dairy and veggies cooked in oil should be avoided if you have problems with critters. They take a long time to break down and will rot leaving an odourous trail for scavengers.

Back