• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habanero-Mango Chutney

Habanero-MangoChutney.jpg

Habanero-Mango Chutney;

4 Habaneros
2 Mangoes (yellow sweet variety-ripe)
1 Medium yellow onion
12 Cloves of garlic
4 Tbsp. lime juice (fresh squeezed) (lemon is okay)
1 Tbsp. Aged rice vinegar (apple cider is okay)

Finely chop 4 seeded Habaneros
Finely chop the garlic
Finely chop the onion
Finely chop the mangos
Add lime juice and vinegar, mix well and refrigerate for 1 hour. This gives everything a chance to meld the flavors and to get the heat from the peppers. The yield is approximately 1-1/2 to 2 cups. Enjoy.

PerkoXxX said:
looks tasty, but what would you use it for? a dip or like a side?

I would use it as a condiment, salsa, dip (tortilla chips, potato chips), topping (vanilla ice cream) and anything one wanted to spice up a bit. I would suggest making the recipe as it is and tasting it and you'll know what to do with it. My recipe is a place to start; modify it as you see fit; I'm sure I will over time.
Thanks for your response and good adventures in the land of capsicums chinense. :lol:

JungleRain said:
How would that go with BBQ Chicken and sticky rice?

Oh yeah, like a glove on a hand. Excellent combination.
I'll use it tonight as a condiment for a traditional Indian yellow curried chicken over a white rice. But don't limit your possibilities; there are many.
;)

mel said:
how does the raw onion go? does it not overpower everything else?

No, not at all. That's one reason to allow it to age in the refrigerator. The fresh lime juice, vinegar, and garlic, combined with the strong flavor of the Habanero balance it out perfectly. The sweetness of the mango works it's magic on the whole concoction. It's divine; really. ;)

Man, just looking at all those onions are making me swell up! I have a mild allergy that makes my face and neck swell up when I eat alot of onions...

Looks good though. I may have to experiment with this later.

PAUL THE OTHER 1 said:
only 4 habaneros ? are we just starting out? i would think 6 would be a minimum. could do with some green lookin fellow in the mix

I only had 4 or I would have used 6 or 8. I'm in Thailand; I can't go to the local market and buy Habaneros, that's why I'm growing them.

PAUL THE OTHER 1 said:
that explains it. would you like me to make it with 6 in there for you and tell you what its like?

Sure! My recipes are suggestions, a starting point, if you will. After sitting all night in the refrigerator, the heat level is too much for my wife; but then, I've always been able to go way hotter than she. Having not had peppers as hot as the Habanero for 7 years; it was a pleasant surprise this morning. Cheers.

????you are in Thailand? and the habeneros are hotter than anything you can get locally? I love habs and have not had anything with habs in it that I will not devour and ask for more- but our local Thai restaurants make food they call "medium" that are so hot I stop eating them a third of the way through because my lips are on fire and my tongue is numb and I forgot what I ordered because I cant taste anything. I admit I am completely ignorant of Thailand's cultural/regional differences, is it like the different regional differences of China and India as far as flavors used?
And by the way, that looks extremely delcious, now I have to see if there is any chance I can get decent fresh mangoes around here!

Back