• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking pork roast question

so i was inspired by Scotty's Dec 25th pics to make some pulled pork sandwiches...one of my favorite foods. i've never made it before, but i bought a 5 lb chunk of "boston butt" and its been in the oven for about 4 hours now at 250 F. should i take it out once it reaches the internal temp of 170 like the recipe says? or should i keep it in longer till the time the recipe says? i guess i could just check it and see how it is..but i don't want to mess it up haha.

i also made some cole slaw from scratch. it smelled good..but i haven't tasted any of it yet..just gave it a good mixing, covered it, and tossed it in the fridge.

thanks. :cool:

well i took it out and checked it. it was very juicy in there..but i don't think it was tender enough. the recipes i read said it would just pull apart with a couple of forks. the outside was tearing apart fine, but as i went a little deeper in the one spot i cut into, it wasn't as tender so i put it back in and lowered the heat down to about 250 (assuming our oven is even that calibrated.) :cool:

it took 7 hours, but it turned out pretty damn good. could've been better, but it was the first time i've ever roasted anything. here are some pics as things moved along.

spices before i stirred in some brown sugar. rubbed on some olive oil, i also rubbed on a bit of jalapeno mustard to coat with paprika, ground cayenne, ground jalapeno, crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt, ground cumin, dry mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, granulated sugar, and i think that might've been it...
IMG_7907s.jpg

roast
IMG_7908s.jpg

roast with rub in oven a little out of focus..
IMG_7909s.jpg

just about there
IMG_7913s.jpg

couldn't attach this last one.

the final product of most of the days waiting. :)
IMG_7915s.jpg

it took so long i forgot i had cole slaw in the fridge! but tomorrow i'll be sure to dish out some of that as well since i have plenty of left overs! :D

edit..the house still smells like delicious pork roast.

Nice first attempt, looks a little dried out though.

I shoot for an internal temp of 185 or so, then foil it and let it rest in a warm cooler for at least 1.5 hours. It should pull nice and easy.

yea, it came out a little more dry than i wanted. nothing a little carolina style sauce can't fix. i took it out earlier when it reached 170 (which is what one of the recipes i read said is a good internal temp) but it didn't pull apart like i thought it should. maybe i should do that too then..wrap it up in foil then just let it sit for a little. i just took it out of the oven and started pulling basically. i was pleased with my first try, but i'll definitely be trying it again in the not too distant future.

Scotty said:
I shoot for an internal temp of 185 or so, then foil it and let it rest in a warm cooler for at least 1.5 hours. It should pull nice and easy.

Thats the way you do it. Definitly foil it. THis will braise any excess callogen/fat that is left. The blade bone will just slide out. Write down what you did then you can have a log or notes for next time. Pork is pretty forgiving a brisket on the other hand is the toughest but I just absolutly love'm

Pork Butt should be taken out of the smoker at 195 degrees, wrapped in foil, temp wll go up to 200. Keep it warm, any additional heat above 195 will dry it out.

drsmoke said:
Pork Butt should be taken out of the smoker at 195 degrees, wrapped in foil, temp wll go up to 200. Keep it warm, any additional heat above 195 will dry it out.

Good advice!

Welcome Aboard!!
btw, I hold the record for winning the most Caulfield awards..:lol: ;)
Cap'n

round two, fight!

so i gave it another go. second try..turned out much better!

slathered on some jalapeno mustard, coated it with a rub i made from basically the same spices i listed before only i added more jalapeno powder, ground red pepper, and forgot the brown sugar. started it at 5:30am before passing out the other night with the oven set to "warm" (the lowest setting possible) and didn't take it out till about 11pm tonight. i turned it up to a little over 200 F once i woke up...i just didn't want it to get over cooked if i slept in longer than i thought i would. hell, the sun was almost up so i wasn't expecting to wake up anytime soon. i wrapped it in foil for about half an hour and let it sit outside of the oven before pulling it apart with two forks.

end result...a tad spicier, much more tender (came apart like nothing), and much juicier. :P i'm glad i have plenty left over. heres a pic.

IMG_8830s.jpg

looks great -- now get some coleslaw and yourself a giant Sammich -- looks like the bark got nice too

Im getting the itch for it now ---

thanks everyone. :rolleyes:

lucky - i was lazy this time around and didn't buy or make any slaw. last time i tried the pork roast, i made some from a recipe i found online but it turned out a bit too liquidy. haha and yea, i caught the itch from looking at someones post about their homemade pulled pork. its one of my favorite foods, and i'm really happy to be able to make it myself now..even if it doesn't taste as good as some of the places i've bought it from.

Looks really good! Now that you have it down, you can experiment with different spices and sauces to tweak it to your liking.

As I mentioned, the key is pulling the meat at the right time and letting it rest in foil. But.... You gotta monitor the temp of the pit and the meat at all times....even after the meat is resting so that it doesn't get into the "Danger Zone" (

Back