• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow bhut.

Allright, I could'nt wait so here is a picture of an unripe yellow bhut(asias garden) pod for comparison.
Iv'e also attached an unripe red bhut at approx the same stage.(about a week and a half old)
4499640377_e4088d84f5_o.jpg

Now the red bhut jolokia.
4499640381_0108dc4776_o.jpg

I'll post further progress as i get larger pods and closer to ripening.

Cheers

what's the flavor profile of the yellow bhut. I grew some bhuts last year and only 1 survived and although the pepper was hot not much flavor in my opinion. I wouldn't mind growing a yellow bhut if it had some citrus spice like a yellow hab.

Well just over a week since i posted the first pictures of my so called yellow bhut. Like everyone else i obtained the seeds from asiasgarden and planted 2 of these plants. Here is an update on the development of the pods.
Plant # 1
4525572713_7a2436e574_o.jpg

4525572723_a1ae5efb5b_o.jpg

The plant itself is about 2 feet tall. There are approx 30 to 40 pods on this plant at the moment and produces well. The pods appear again at the moment to be short and stubby but quite pimpled. They, to this point do not resemble the pods shown by Mr. David Stehnike of asiasgarden
4526265430_80aa2635de_o.jpg
. It does appear to be crossed with something like a bonda ma jacque,fatalii,devils or something of that shape. Just speculating!!

Now for Yellow bhut plant # 2
This one is totally different. The pods are long and slim. They appear simular to the pods shown by asiasgarden at this point anyways.
The attached photos show the size of the plant itself and the shape and length of the pods after a little over a week. The plant is about 3 feet tall at the moment.
4525585073_a71c65e7a4_o.jpg

4525572727_a9e94a0e62_o.jpg

4525572731_ace43da47e_o.jpg

4525585057_9415370696_o.jpg

Every day these are becoming more pimpled and twisted like the ones seen by asiasgarden. Will post further progress in a couple of weeks as well as measurements.
Hopefully the pods turn yellow and heat is simular to the red bhuts. In my opinion there is definatly no mutation here. This is only my opinion

LGHT said:
what's the flavor profile of the yellow bhut. I grew some bhuts last year and only 1 survived and although the pepper was hot not much flavor in my opinion. I wouldn't mind growing a yellow bhut if it had some citrus spice like a yellow hab.
LGHT, I have not yet had the priviledge to test these fresh yet. I have only sampled some flakes sent from asiasgarden with the seeds. They did seem quite nice though from what i remember.

cheers

Sydtunes said:
madhatter, how did you get yours to set fruit so fast?!?

Hey Sydtunes,
I started these in December when i got the seeds and grew them under lights until they were about a foot tall. I then moved them up to my back window which faces south. Plenty of light and the temperature when sunny is about 80f. The perfect indoor climate for plants to set fruit:) I have about 6 other plants in front of the windows all with plenty of chiles on it!!!:onfire:

madhatter said:
In my opinion there is definatly no mutation here. This is only my opinion

Judging from the shape of the pods alone I'll have to say that I agree with you. My money is on an unstable cross, but I kind of hope that I'm wrong.

MrArboc said:
Judging from the shape of the pods alone I'll have to say that I agree with you. My money is on an unstable cross, but I kind of hope that I'm wrong.
Yeah MrArboc,

The two plants are totally different. I think everyone growing these will get the same result. CROSS POLINATED!!!

great pics. man those things took off quick. Both plants have similarities, but also quite different. it'll be interesting to test out the heat/taste once they're done. very cool

Looking more and more like a cross. My plants get planted out this weekend, so still some time before I see what I get. I am interested to compare your results with mine and others that are growing this.

jacob

If they turn out to be yellow bhuts, could I swindle you out of some seeds? :D LOL Plant looks great BTW, whatever you are doing, keep doing it!!!

Ballzworth said:
great pics. man those things took off quick. Both plants have similarities, but also quite different. it'll be interesting to test out the heat/taste once they're done. very cool
Thanks bro. Well all those days of sunshine really moved them along. I'm sure you'll be testing them with me too. Yeah they are simular and different.

jjs7741 said:
Looking more and more like a cross. My plants get planted out this weekend, so still some time before I see what I get. I am interested to compare your results with mine and others that are growing this.

jacob

You bet Jacob!!. I would be really interested to see how yours and everyone who bought these seeds turn out. I know Neil at the THSC as one or two and will be testing it soon.

Matt50680 said:
If they turn out to be yellow bhuts, could I swindle you out of some seeds? :D LOL Plant looks great BTW, whatever you are doing, keep doing it!!!
Thanks Matt, Hopefully they turn yellow and i can send you some seeds for sure.

cheers

Yann

Well they look amazing! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted with your progress.

Are you going to be keeping them in pots or in the ground?

madhatter said:
Hey Sydtunes,
I started these in December when i got the seeds and grew them under lights until they were about a foot tall. I then moved them up to my back window which faces south. Plenty of light and the temperature when sunny is about 80f. The perfect indoor climate for plants to set fruit:) I have about 6 other plants in front of the windows all with plenty of chiles on it!!!:onfire:

Just had one pop up for me today! We shall see...my seeds were the same source so I am hoping for a positive diagnosis before mine even gets close to fruit.

Will be planting some of these when i get back home.

Yours look awsome madhatter. Keep posting the updates, im very curious to see how they ripen

Sydtunes said:
Well they look amazing! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted with your progress.

Are you going to be keeping them in pots or in the ground?
Thanks Sydtunes, I will post the update next week. I will be keeping that one in a pot(second bhut). I may pot up to a 5 or 7 gallon for the summer. We'll see!

roadhouse said:
Just had one pop up for me today! We shall see...my seeds were the same source so I am hoping for a positive diagnosis before mine even gets close to fruit.
Good job roadhouse. I'm really hoping for a positive diagnosis as well. Let's cross our fingers.

FadeToBlack said:
Will be planting some of these when i get back home.

Yours look awsome madhatter. Keep posting the updates, im very curious to see how they ripen
Thanks Fade, Is it from the seeds i sent you? Hopefully these turn yellow and we have something here. Both plants are very productive. The second plant, the one i'm counting on is just growing and puting out pods like crazy. Will post the pictures next week.

Back