• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Acquiring Taste?

I am wondering if anyone tries a hot sauce and tells themselves, "Yuck this stuff is not what I expected".. Then you realize that you will try to have more since you did make the purchase...

After a while you begin to say, "Hmm this is really not bad at all"

Pretty soon you are putting it into your top 5 favorite list. I am just wondering if anyone out there has had this happen because for me it was the case with Marie Sharp's Belizean Heat..

Sort of. I will get a sauce and be like...ugh, the finger taste test failed miserablly. Then I try it on different foods and sometimes I find that it is pure heaven in a bottle when combined with a specific food.

They have done some studies on this Goonie. Not with hot sauce, but just with foods. There is something in our survival DNA that makes is weary of new things. The folks that did the tests came up with a 10x rule. That's how many times it takes for most people to aquire a taste for things. The study was mostly about how to get kids to eat things that are good for them. The advice was, keep encouraging them to try things, even if they didn't like it the first few times.

My "don't like" list has gotten very short becase I keep trying things I didn't like last time I tried it. I'm still working on that green tamale stuff that comes out of lobsters. Hmm, I need to eat more lobster!

Bottom line, I think you are right Goonie! No reason all this should not apply to hot sauces.
Jor

PapaJoe8 said:
They have done some studies on this Goonie. Not with hot sauce, but just with foods. There is something in our survival DNA that makes is weary of new things. The folks that did the tests came up with a 10x rule. That's how many times it takes for most people to aquire a taste for things. The study was mostly about how to get kids to eat things that are good for them. The advice was, keep encouraging them to try things, even if they didn't like it the first few times.

My "don't like" list has gotten very short becase I keep trying things I didn't like last time I tried it. I'm still working on that green tamale stuff that comes out of lobsters. Hmm, I need to eat more lobster!

Bottom line, I think you are right Goonie! No reason all this should not apply to hot sauces.
Jor

Thanks man! I have won over a new fan.. hehe.. Yeah when I was a child I never liked onions but not I do.. Especially Red/Purple onions I love.. They are great on pizza's being warm. I think it's a common misbelief that they are only good cold in salads, for example.

It also seems that the opposite can work too. I really liked Danny Cash Radical Heat alot but now thinking it's not in my top 5 favorites anymore.

Have you had this happen?

imaguitargod said:
Sort of. I will get a sauce and be like...ugh, the finger taste test failed miserablly. Then I try it on different foods and sometimes I find that it is pure heaven in a bottle when combined with a specific food.

Yup..

Sometimes I don't like a sauce and wait almost a year and will try it again!! Talk about loyalty.. lol I did this with 100% Pain but I still don't care for it at all.. 95% pain and Batch 114 on the other hand I am in love with.. lol

I had the same problem with Final Answer. Got to where it didn't seem too bad and the heat isn't too bad either.;) Took numerous tastings on that one. Never got used to the Bright Green El Yutaco.

It happens. Usually it's because it's not what you expected.

Back