• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Snake Doc's Grow Log 2010

After a long break, I'm back. I'm using an aquarium as a greenhouse. It's been cold over here in the northeast so I won't transplant into bigger pots until next week.

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

Some of my leaves are yellowing. I know I'm putting the right amount of water at the right pH. I wonder if I'm using the correct lighting.

I'm using a single 60 watt plant light bulb in my old aquarium. I think the problem may be that the bottom leaves don't get enough light because the surrounding taller leaves are blocking out the light. How do you guys mitigate this?

I've never gotten this far into the season, last years mine died because I didn't harden them off properly.

NEVER AGAIN! I'm going to harden them off by putting them outside for an hour a day for a week and them I'm going to gradually increase their amount of time outside.

I'm also misting them with a mix of Epsom salt and cinnamon to fertilize and prevent them from getting a fungal infection.

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

You could actually pinch the lower leaves off, they wont be productive anyways and it will lessen the chance of bugs using them as a highway to the upper levels.

How do you know when it's time to transplant the hot peppers to bigger pots?

Also, does anyone know a good store to buy pots online? They seem very expensive at home depot and lowes.

I don't think leaf symmetry is a big deal other than looking good.

As far as when to pot up there's no rule of thumb I'm aware of. I usually go by the size of the plant in comparison to the pot it's in. If the plant is twice as tall and extending over the edges of the pot I'll pot up.

Google 5 gallon plastic pots and you'll find links to all the pots you'll ever need.

Good luck.

uour plANTS LOOK NICE. just curious what is the tri state im from mass originally un sure what you are refering too.
i read once i think, allow for one gallon of soil for each month the plant is in it. doesn't always have to apply but is optimal i have read i believe.
what are thos eplants ou ar egrowing,

Tri-state area is the parts of New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut that are in commuting distance of NYC. I guess you could say it's the suburbs to NYC.

MrArboc said:
Tri-state area is the parts of New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut that are in commuting distance of NYC. I guess you could say it's the suburbs to NYC.

When I lived in Philly "TriState" area was refered to as NJ,DE,PA or in Northeast PA it was NY,NJ,PA but as you stated it also refers to the areas surrounding NYC as well as many many other parts of the country have their own "TriState" area.

so which state do you live in SnakeDoc?

I get all my 5 gallon plastic planters at a Hydroponic store for $2.00 each. My plants from Cross Country are still in the house as of April 12th. Still too cold here in the sunny and warm SF Bay Area. Coldest May since 1948.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I managed to make my leaves lush green again. I crushed 3 cloves of garlic, boiled them in water, let it cool and added it to a half gallon of water, then I fed it to my plant in place of a normal watering.

I also pulverized egg shells that I've been collecting in a blender and I put it in with the garlic solution to add some calcium.

My leaves are now green, but my leaves are still curly. Is some leaf curl normal?

Take your egg shells and cook them till they turn black and make ash. poor into glass jar with equal amount of white vinegar, let set for a couple of weeks, strain use two tablespoons to a gal of non chlorinated water to use on plants and ground around them.your making Calcium Phospate the plant can eat it, without waiting for it to break down as shells have to do.

After my crushed egg shells and garlic treatmen and not watering my plants as often, my plants not look really healthy with no yellowing or leaf curl!

HELP!!!!!!!!

I potted up my plants yesterday. Most of them are doing fine, but I noticed two of my plants have holes in the leaves. I noticed this when I first got the plants from chileplants.com but thought nothing of it.

I don't know what this is, Bugs? Plant disease? I lost all of my plants last year...never again! I only have 12 growing this year, I hope I don't lose any...

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

Back