• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

quick question.

ok so i started all my plants inside, well most of them have flowers all over them, and a few with small peppers.

well some of the plants are not very big. so im wondering if i cut all the flowers off the plants now before the make pods if that will help them grow bigger, or is it too late for that since they already flowered and a few now trying to produce?

yeah, probably would have been better to pinch earlier, but it's never too late....the plant is constantly growing, your just changing the way it expends it's energy when you pinch. You could also try increasing the nitrogen levels gradually, that will usually promote growth in size

yeah, i wished i would have pinched earlier too. thanks for the answer. its exactly what i was wanting to hear. this is my biggest growing year, so im learning as i go. i went from a measly 18 plants last year to a whopping 95. lots to learn still yet. likw dont plant annums in january.....

i figure miracle grow(i know i know) growing fert will do then. its high enough in nitrogen and should help stop some flowering. i just spent the past 2 hours plucking all the flowers from the plants. so hopefully i can replant them as soon as i get the dirt situationg figured out(see my thread "Dirt dillema")

last year i had to pinch everyday, so I didn't have to spend an hour or two on one plant at the end of the week, on my first grow year i was able to get my tabasco to over 9 ft high, and when i finally let it produce, i easily got 1500 peppers from it...this year i'm building a greenhouse and hopefully that will equal a longer growing season, I wanna see if I can get a "tabasco tree" lol

pinching the fruit is possibly easier and more productive than pinching flowers if you are having any type of drop, but if you aren't having drop then the flowers obv. but i would not do miracle grow this late, it would defiantly eat into when you actually DO want to have flowers. i don't have any scientific evidence to prove that but i know it would happen if I did it lol.

well so far, i have no problems with miracle grow. i know alot of people dog on it, but seriously i have good results with my seedlings in there soil. last year my plants wouldnt stop producing untill late november and all i used was MG. ive just been pinching every day for now.

For extra nitrogen for growth, I use fish and seaweed emulsion. It is 90 percent fish which is the nitrogen part. It works well. You can get just fish emulsion without the seaweed as well. Also, when I plant, I put a fish head in the bottom of the hole. Nitrogen, nitrogen, nitrogen... I eat a lot of fresh fish, so when I go to the fish market, I don't let them cut the heads off. I cut them off and keep them in the freezer until grow time. Also, your local fish market may give you fish heads as most people get their fish cleaned with the heads cut off and the market just throws them away. I have a fish market here that just gives them to me.

The main problem I see with MG is that most of its nitrogen content is derived from urea, which will lower your PH, but if you have a PH above 7 to start, this can be a good thing. Nitrogen derived from nitrite will raise the PH and many fertilizer manufacturers try to balance the types of nitrogen along with a balance of P and K to keep the result of adding their nutes PH neutral. This is something that MG doesn't do, so monitor your PH if you use it.

hotenuff4u said:
last year i had to pinch everyday, so I didn't have to spend an hour or two on one plant at the end of the week, on my first grow year i was able to get my tabasco to over 9 ft high, and when i finally let it produce, i easily got 1500 peppers from it...this year i'm building a greenhouse and hopefully that will equal a longer growing season, I wanna see if I can get a "tabasco tree" lol

That is impressive, do you have pictures of the plant?

teh purple penguins said:
pinching the fruit is possibly easier and more productive than pinching flowers if you are having any type of drop, but if you aren't having drop then the flowers obv. but i would not do miracle grow this late, it would defiantly eat into when you actually DO want to have flowers. i don't have any scientific evidence to prove that but i know it would happen if I did it lol.

ah, its' EARLY in the season down here in the south....we'll have pods still coming up into mid December, he's in Missouri and probably more southern than I.....I say FERT FERT FERT

SV1000 said:
That is impressive, do you have pictures of the plant?

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?15578-finally-heat-in-winter&highlight= in the first pic in that topic, you'll see a full shot of a ghetto greenhouse I had at my apartment this past winter....the tabasco is the tall one in the middle, there it stands slightly over 8ft(the glass door behind it is an 8ft door), at it's peak i remember it smooshing against the ceiling, so we'll say at it's peak it was at least 10ft

and this year with the building of a full fledged greenhouse i'm hoping to get enough light to have it that tall, but a lot more bushy as well//sorry about hijacking this thread....it's still sorta related, I pinched that tabasco for a while

Back