• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Ordered from Cross Country Nurseries

Ok I ordered some chile plants that I have listed below from Cross Country nurseries last week and are supposed to be coming to my doorstep sometime next week. The website says that they are about 6 to 8" tall. In my basement I have some shoplights set-up that I have a few seedlings under right now. should I put the CC nursery plants under the fluro lights until the weather gets a little better it has been between 80f on some days and as low as 40f on some nights. Also what size of pots should I get for them?
I was planning on growing inside but after reading so much info on this site I came to the conclusion they should suffice perfectly on my deck when the weather gets sustainable.
I do have a few seedlings started that i am planning on putting in a grow tent but i am just overwhelmed with the lighting discussions on here I am putting that project on the backburner.
Anyways here is the list thats coming from CC nurseries.

1 AJI OMNICOLOR
2 BHUT JOLOKIA
1 BURNING BUSH
1 CLEO'S DRAGON
1 COBRA
1 DEVIL'S TONGUE
1 FATALII
1 PEPERONCINI
1 THE GODFATHER HYBRID
2 TRINIDAD SCORPION

CC nurseries is a top notch company and I have had great experiences ordering from them. As for the size of pots, if you are going to be growing them exclusively in pots, I would say nothing less than 5 gallons, the bigger the better.

Good luck to your up coming grow season and my you be bestowed with a bountiful harvest.

JMO, I would put them in 6" pots, under lights untill weather premits hardening off for outside planting.;)good luck.

WGB said:
JMO, I would put them in 6" pots, under lights untill weather premits hardening off for outside planting.;)good luck.

Would the fluro lights I currently have sufficient enough for this?

They will be fine indoors under lights. Another thought is if it is staying warm outside during the day, you can always put them out in the morning and bring them back in at night. I do this with a lot of my plants especially later in the season. It is one of the advantages to growing in containers.

As for the pot , you should shoot for a 5 gallon minimum, you can start with a 6" and work your way up from there.

I thought about doing that I was just worried that they might get burned from not being used to being in the natural sun all day..

I have some cayenne seedlings that popped up a few weeks ago and they dont seem to be growing that much I have had them under the flouro lights and they look like they started to develop their second leaves but they are kind of dormant now, maybe im being impatient but I thought they would have been a lil faster growing than that. Anything anyone can think of to help them or what im doing wrong? Ill post pics this evening if they can help you with a diagnosis.
Cheers!

HOH_Virus said:
I thought about doing that I was just worried that they might get burned from not being used to being in the natural sun all day..

You have to harden them of, extend the period in the sun until they can take a whole day. Maybe start with 20-30 minutes the first day, 30-60 minutes (depending on how they look) the second day and so on.

I don't think you need to go through as much trouble hardening off the ones from cross country nursery. They should be already used to being in sun light, just really keep on eye on them, and maybe put them in a semi shaded area at first. They will probably be a little stressed from shipping, so don't just throw them outside for a long period when you first get them. The ones in your basement will definitely need to be hardened off because they won't be use to the intense sun light.

Mine will be here tomorrow! I ordered some last year. They were all very healthy looking. I kept mine inside for 2 days and basically did what McArboc said. I did that until I knew my night time temps out side wouldn't drop below 50 degrees. Then I threw them into the biggest pots I had. The bigger the better, more room for their roots, right. They would have produced more if my weather wasn't so crappy last summer. Overall, I was very pleased with Cross Country. I hope you are too.
And if you have questions just shoot them an email. They're very helpful there.
Here's some they mailed to me last spring:
IMG_6533.jpg

how far do you have them from your flouro tubes? i put them as close to them without touching that i can. and they seem to grow quite well. +1 on the not needing to harden off much last year when i got my crosscountry order i put them straight outside.

I have them within an inch of the tubes and they are on for about 16 hours a day plus there is reflective survival blanket material taped to the wall behind them. I just watered them today for the first time in about 8 days.

I got my plants from CCN yesterday . Everything looks super !!! I'm transplanting them into 1 gallon pots ( like they want you to do ) and I'll keep them under lights for a while because the weather here is so dank at the moment. When the weather is better I'll harden them off . I'll sink the 1 gallon pots deep enough in my beds that the wind won't blow them over. Then when I feel the plants have filled the pots with roots I'll transplant them into my beds. And yes I will give my young plants nutes. 1/2 strength at first ( 2 or 3 times ) then full strength. The main reason is I know CCN used fish and kelp juice and I don't want to freak out the young plants.

Peace & good luck to all,
P. Dreadie

I got my transplants yesterday from Cross Country and just posted the pix, with some help under my grow season. I've been ordering from them for 3 years and always have a wonderful outcome. I'm in South Carolina with a warm climate so I immediately put mine outside. Inside your box upon arrival are directions they give you on how to treat them when they arrive as well as how to transplant.

Good luck with your grow season!

Back