• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wood cutting boards

Anyone use one for peppers?
I have 1 just for cutting pods up.
It's soaked up a lot of heat over the years.
Now if I cut anything up on it it comes out hot or at least spicey.
I love it.
I just cut some cheese pears and apples up on my pepper board and the slices had a chinense taste though not that hot.
I use it also for cutting onions and garlic.
The juices soaked up during the years made my wood cutting board almost good enough to eat. :)
Maybe if I run out of pods I can soak it in water and use the water to make chile...
Anyone else KNOW their board is hot and purposly use it to collect some pepper taste because they cut something up on it and the board added flavor to whatever you cut up?

Even cleaning is unlikely to remove chilli oils. I made a hot sauce containing plenty of 7 pots and the saucepan produced two hot meals after being cleaned.

Chris

Even cleaning is unlikely to remove chilli oils. I made a hot sauce containing plenty of 7 pots and the saucepan produced two hot meals after being cleaned.

Chris

Juices soak in too deep real fast.
Kleaning doesn't do anything.
You'd have to sand it down about 1/8th inch or more to get past the heat zone.
At first I tried sealing it with veg oil and other edible oils but that didn't help either.
Now I like my board pre seasoned. :)

thats what I use is a wooden one and I look forward to the taste it adds, I wash it if I cut meat or chicken but for the most part I leave it for the wife :>)

I used an electric coffee urn to heat and dispense a couple small batches of hot sauce. The kind that has the basket for the coffee grounds and the stem in the middle....

After that, the kid used the same urn to sell hot cider at the farmer's market and the cider had this strange, tingly hot, make-the-lips-burn feeling......:whistle::whistle:

I've also had chile juice get into the white/plastic food service cutting boards. Kinda makes you wonder.... if you taste chile oil after a couple washings, is the chicken juices really getting washed out?????

( I know, paranoid food service person here....)

Yes! Wood cutting boards are all I've ever used. Never ever seen one drop of soap. Wood is a natural anti-bacterial; far superior to those sterile plastic things (which grow bacteria like a petri dish). Cheers.

I have one with a long history. My father built a house in 1966 and it was a left over trim from the kitchen counter top, the board has travelled with the family ever since.
My parents moved in with me in 1989 while their retirement house was being built and then just left the board with me when they moved out.
The board has been part of homemade chili sauces, relishes, pies, stews and anything else that has needed chopping; it has seen years of creative cuisine from homemade pasta, stuffed squid and any new ideas that I just had to try out.
I do wash it regularly with water and vinegar.
Todays experiment was to chop pussy willow bark and put it in a jar with boiling water, I am trying to create rooting hormone to see if that will improve this year seedling performance.
I do make my kids school lunches on it everyday ..................... wonder why their noses are always running ..........................hmmmm.

Back