• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

inbetweeners

I'm interested in recipes that will suit both chileheads and wussies alike. Preferably without adding anything to the bowl after cooking. Do you have 'mixed company' dishes that can please a variety of heat levels or do you make two batches of a recipe?

Recipes for what? Sauce? Chili?

Anything. Could be spaghetti sauce, marinated chicken, meatloaf. Something to keep both sides of the fence happy. I hate making either the same recipe but two versions or making two totally different items just to please everybody.

Hmmm. Have some hot sauces on the table :lol:

Maybe a chili, where the heat comes from cooked beans soaked overnight in hot sauce. You make a pot of chili and serve. For those that like it hot they add the soaked beans and contol their preferred heat level.

Make steaks and serve Bloody Mary's, spicy and mild.

I just provide side bowls of pickled jalapenos, nacho sliced and or whole, and bottles of hot sauce. Some in my family pile those nacho jalapenos on almost everything. Pickled jalapenos, and hot sauce, blend right into cooked stuff. Folks can make things as hot as the like that way.
Joe

Have a taco night with all kinds of peppers and sauces.

Gourmet pizza night, jalapenos on half.

This is where a fridge full of quality sauces comes in handy, and also fresh peppers when available. Makes it really easy for the cook. Cook up yer vittles and offer up the add-ons to the guest.
Regular ketchup and mustard have been replaced in our home with peppers and quality sauces.
Just browsing through some of the threads here on the HP, I've noticed alot of info on how some of the members utilize marinades and rubs in preparing their grub as well.

pileiton said:
Preferably without adding anything to the bowl after cooking.
I appreeciate the suggestions but the key point is for me not to have to do extra work. Especially if I take something to a party and don't want to carry extra items. I'm looking for something flavorful enough for chiliheads that will also appeal to those who can't handle the heat.

I think you're asking the impossible.

Back