• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fair Trade Peppers

I just posted an exclusive story about the new Fair Trade agreement. I say it's going to revolutionize the industry. What do you guys think?

In an announcement to be released later today, Tina Brooks tells us that Transfair Canada has decided to create a market for Fair Trade chili peppers and that Brooks Pepperfire Foods (makers of the Peppermaster brand of Hot Sauces that we so wildly rave about) will be an integral part of this venture.

Trans Fair Canada is the Canadian branch for the main Fair Trade certification body FLO-CERT. Through the aptly named “Pepperfire Intuitive”, consumers will soon be able to order certified Fair Trade products from Brooks Pepperfire Foods. In the meantime, the company will begin offering a large variety of peppers to commercial and industrial customers as the peppers are brought in from all parts of the world, including the famous Naga Morich from India — which can be ordered now.

A truly momentous event, this is the first time that peppers will be commercially available in this manner. Fair Trade pepper certification will be given to only the farms and farmers that meet FLO-Cert’s high standards. One of the main standards to note is the prohibited use of certain pesticides. Most of the pesticides used in farming today are harmful to the environment AND the human body. With Fair Trade certification, the consumer will be able to ensure that a very long list of these pesticides have not been used, thus insuring top of the line quality, and safety. The Fair Trade logo is a guarantee that stands for fairness and global social responsibility in international trade.

In Canada, you can find the label on select brands of coffee, tea, chocolate, sugar, fruit (bananas and mangos), cereals (rice and quinoa), spices, cotton garments, wine, roses, sports balls and soon, chili peppers. Buying Fair Trade Certified products helps make the world a better place by paying farmers and workers in developing countries a fair price and helping develop sustainable economic growth using a rigorous system of checks and balances.

More details will be released in the near future so be sure to watch for more news.

Sounds like a good idea. Without sounding harsh, the fairtrade tea and coffee I've tried has been fairly crappy, but I don't see what could go wrong with a plant (i.e. chili). Sounds like a plan.

You could get Coldplay to write a theme tune for it, or something...

Correct me if i am wrong, but to my understanding, is this more for the Business/industry?

Do we as a average grower have a go with this?

Back