• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question: Distance between plants?

Hey guys! This year I will plant most of my peppers into soil, not into pots. And if all the seedlings survive there will be a lot of plants and not so much space in the yard. So according to your experience what is the minimum distance between the pepper plants?

2 feet maybe? some peppers grow taller and some grow small and bushy, depending on how you've raised them/type of pepper, so it's hard to say, but I do about 2 feet apart and usually by the end of the season they're overlapping and fighting for space. If you're space restricted then you could maybe get away with slightly less than the 2 foot mark if you're able to offset the placement so they're not in a direct row to allow for a bit more room.

They will grow fine if they are close together. I used spacing of around 2 1/2 feet this year and the plants are doing fine apart from some trying to push others over.
The problem comes when you want to harvest your pods as all the foliage will get very dense and resemble a jungle. I can be hard to get around them and not do any damage. I would have liked to space them out more but just didn't have the room, if i had i would have spaced them around 3-4 feet apart.

2 foot is enough if you want them to look like this:)

007-1.jpg

0005.jpg

I had 4 plants in this raised bed. They were spaced 3' apart in both directions and still grew together. Plus the Jalapeno in the front left and the charleston hot in the front right stayed fairly small. Had I doubled down on the 7 Pod and Douglah (located in the back) things would have been much more crowded. If you have the room I would be as daring to say go for 4' feet in all directions on Chinense varieties.

That bed is 6 ft. sq.

I'm planting one row with 3' spacing, one with 2.5' and one with 2' spacing in rows spaced 40" apart. I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Josh said:
0005.jpg

I had 4 plants in this raised bed. They were spaced 3' apart in both directions and still grew together. Plus the Jalapeno in the front left and the charleston hot in the front right stayed fairly small. Had I doubled down on the 7 Pod and Douglah (located in the back) things would have been much more crowded. If you have the room I would be as daring to say go for 4' feet in all directions on Chinense varieties.

That bed is 6 ft. sq.

Very nice. Beautiful looking plants.
I'm in the middle of deciding which way to go; raised bed is looking like the winner.

I find if plants are too close together they will tend to grow tall instead of bushy. I like really bushy plants and have loads of room so I plant(or have my containers) about 6+ ft apart to let the sun get right down into the plant and it also helps let more sun through to warm up the the soil

Room to spare but bushy plant
3450091012_7e5eaa8782.jpg

I'm also using a new SQ FT Garden 4' x 10' have plants in every sq ft, First time this close, the SQ FT garden book says its right, will see at end of season,very close to me , all my raised beds are planted in 2 ft spacing between plants.

I have over 500 plants growing, most in the ground. The distance between them is approx 18 inches, they've grown really well with no problems and most plant have yielded a good amount of pods.... just a big sea of green.

I usually plant my plants 2 feet apart. But, this year I'm planting them 3 feet apart because I want to give them a little more room to branch out instead of growing so tall.

Alan

because of my limited space in the back yard, I grow on 18" centers...that is tight spacing I know but IMO the tight spacing allows the plants to support each other...when the end of season harvest comes, I don't worry about getting between the plants because I move each plant to the patio and pick the pods there...

Back