• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I don't understand it...

So I just got back from driving for a good hour to try and find a place to buy some good chili's... and
I have come to realize how hard it is to find a good variety of them..I don't understand why its so hard to find some decent peppers.. Man I cannot wait til I can get mine to produce some...:tear:

No nothing like that but all i have been seeing is like serrano and jalapenos... I mean you would think there would be a wider selection than 3 or 4 varieties. Maybe I am hoping for too much?

Mainstream people don't like really hot stuff so grocery stores are reluctant to bring in multiple varieties of peppers. They just don't sell. Look at the condition of habs at most supermarkets. They are usually old and shrivelled up.

Diabolus said:
Mainstream people don't like really hot stuff so grocery stores are reluctant to bring in multiple varieties of peppers. They just don't sell. Look at the condition of habs at most supermarkets. They are usually old and shrivelled up.

That is EXACTLY the reason I decided to try and grow my own peppers this year. Can't ever find any real variety and they are usually overpriced. Good luck finding anything other than a hab, seranno, jalapeno, or anaheim. :rolleyes:

Even the peppers that are available are disgusting an/or not even ripe. Its gotten so bad that most people don't even realise that jalapenos ripen red and taste so much better
I sure wish I could buy Anaheims and serannos, but they're likely only sold green too:)

When I'm here in Florida I go to Publix supermarket. They usually have Habs, Japs, Anah, Serrano and wax and they are all green and tasteless.
I think the main problem with the peppers they sell in the supermarket is that they are all picked green so the will last longer before they start to go bad.

FadeToBlack said:
When I'm here in Florida I go to Publix supermarket. They usually have Habs, Japs, Anah, Serrano and wax and they are all green and tasteless.
I think the main problem with the peppers they sell in the supermarket is that they are all picked green so the will last longer before they start to go bad.

I agree that many are picked green for shelf life but Potawie is absolutely correct when stating that most people are not even aware that many peppers are colors other than green! Such a shame :tear:

Here in Europe and especially in our country it is even worse. You have only bell peppers here which taste awfully. Only during summer you can buy nicely tasting and even hot peppers on local markets. Sometimes you can buy overpriced packs of poorly tasting mix of chillis however they are mostly green, old, and shrivelled up.

Gringos, in general, do not eat chiles. I talked to the produce guy at a very high-end market and chiles don't move fast enough for him to stock and he loses money on what he sells.

Find out where the Mexicans are in Chitown and go there, they will have chiles.

Yep, fresh is so much better. I can't wait for some of my superhots that I've got going to start producing.

I bought some HUGE jalapenos at the grocery store last night. I saved the seeds from the one I put in my tacos last night. I'll plant a few this weekend and see if I can get any to germinate.

As long as the pods are "ripe green" or fairly mature the seeds should germinate. Was there much heat or flavor in the grocery store jalapeno?

Some of the guys I work with are scared of the red jalapenos because jalapenos are green and that's it. "No way I'm trying those, they are one of your crazy hot peppers!" It really is hard to convince them other wise.

hahaha until i wandered across this forum i had no idea that jalapenos ripened to red! and now that my eyes have been opened, i've been doing my best to "educate" my work mates too. but i tend to get the same response, although the young guys tend to give it a crack... at least once.

This is how they sell Xalapas in Mexican mercados, some green mixed with red. Cilantro, manzanos and nopalitos also in this bin.

mex2-1.jpg

Back