• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Maligator's Grow Log

Well, I figured I should probably begin an online growlog. I have been keeping a personal grow log in MS Word but it's time to share my adventure with those of you that have helped make it an easier task.
I would also like to thank those of you that have been so keen to answer questions and help out someone who is trying this for the first year! I planted my first seeds on 13 Mar 2010. Here are a few photos I have taken since then:

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

Continued with a few more pics:

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

I'll post a few more pics later with individual plants. I had to "cull" a few as you can see I am quickly running out of room. (By culling, I mean take the lil sprouts with no true leaves to work so others might enjoy a shot at growing something.) Heading to Lowes in the morning to get some shelving since floor space is gone. The grow tent is 6.5 feet tall so there is still room to go up ;)

Good one. Seattle is a rough place to grow something tropical.
Your light setup looks like my pot growing trip from the early 70's; great fun and great pot! ;)

NJA: I am growing these varieties: Bhut Jolokia - 24, Red Savinas - 3, Chocolate Habaneros - 4, Peter Peppers - 14, Tepins - 2?, Billy Goat - 3, Mirasol - 3, Harold's St Barts - 3, Hinkle Hatz - 3, Fatalii - 2, Trinidad Scorpion - 2, Fish - 5, Bolivian Rainbow - 6, Long Red Slims - 15, Pablano - 11, Hungarian Banana - 9, and of course the Aji Amarillo - 6. I must admit that at present it looks as if only 1 of the Tepins is viable. I have another that is struggling to survive, those buggers were the most difficult for me to germinate and try and maintain. Part of my problem was a bit of damping off, I am contiunally learning and things are better now.

The Bhuts, peter peppers, Long Red Slims, Pablanos, Hungarian Wax and Bolivian rainbows all seemed to grow very well for me, fairly easy to maintain. The others I just tried a few to see how I would like them. Right now I still have 114 peppers that are growing.

These numbers represent what I was able to germinate and grow beyond sprouts, I had more of some of the plants listed but I gave away about 45 seedlings which were mostly Ajis, Bolivian Rainbows, Hungarian banana and long red slims. I didn't give away any of the really hot ones as most people cannot apprecite the heat. ;)

SS: I'm not taking any chances with these guys. They won't go outside until some time in May. Hence the need for shelving in the grow tent, which translates into more lighting :doh: . Does it ever end? :lol: I've only been in WA for just over a year and not sure how to judge the weather so better safe than sorry!

I have repeatedly checked the PH of my soil and it is a steady 7.0 (totally neutral). Should I try adding a bit of sulpher to the soil to acidify it just a bit or stick with what I have as it seems to be doing ok :?:

Looking real good! You also have a nice list going there. You are sure to be busy later, soon they will take over your grow area like the little monsters that they are. :lol:

As I said I needed shelving for more space. Well here is what the set-up looks like after I put the shelving in. I got the stackable shelves from Lowes for $45, they go another level higher but I just dont need that right now. Of course, whilst there I happened to notice 100 watt CFLs on sale and they somehow found their way in the shopping cart along with a six fixture lighting track. I bought four 6500K CFLs and two 2700K CFLs. You can definately see the difference in the picture. Having the shelving sure does make watering and access a WHOLE lot easier! :cool:

IMG_1716.jpg

One of my Bhuts:
IMG_1704.jpg

One of my Long Red Slims:
IMG_1708.jpg

Will post pics of the other types of plants later.

If this is your first year growing, its gonna be crazy your third or fourth... the addiction only gets worse with time, or maybe better. Ya know what I mean. You start with 5 varieties, then you add 5 more, next thing you know you got 20-30 going, it NEVER STOPS!!! Best of luck, everything looks great.

I think what I may do next year is plant fewer of each type and more different varieties. I swear this was supposed to just be a small operation with a few pepper plants. The more I read about different types the more excited I got and then wouldn't you know it...I'm WAY PAST what my original plan was and now have so many plants growing I'm just not sure what to do with them all. Looks like my backyard may end up being a very large pepper jungle :shocked:

I don't have the size yard AJ or some of the others have but it is going to be an adventure! I really am having a blast! :cool:

Here is a pic of one of my two Fatalii plants

IMG_1718.jpg

Here is one of my Trinidad Scorpions

IMG_1720.jpg

Just a quick update as I was watering them this evening. I sure am excited and a little nervous about getting them outside where its ALOT harder to control the variables! :scared: I still have about a month more or less until I have to deal with that.

Time for an update on the plants. I potted up a few and they now stay in the garage at night, although I still have no more room in the grow tent. Presently have 70 more plants still growing in the grow tent! :shocked: Going to buy some grow bags and get more of them potted up and outside. It's still a PITA to move them in and out as the temps still dip a bit to low for me to feel comfortable.

IMG_1736.jpg

Another pic

IMG_1737.jpg

Some of them are a little droopy because I just rotated them out of the sun. Also have a bit of yellow due to them needing a bigger home to spread their roots in. The solo cups were filled with roots!Thanks for looking and good luck to all of you this season and to all those on the other side of the equator... thanks for your posts since I learn alot from everyone here. ;)

Fade: Ya know, I'm not quite sure. All of the pots you see there were given to me by a few different people that had recently had landscaping done with bushes and shrubs. I guess they might be either 3 or 5 gallon pots. The other smaller ones are a mixture of hand-me-downs as well. So far all pots have been free ;)

Surfer: The mix looks dry on top but is very moist below the surface. It is a home-mixture of compost, peat, aged steer manure (from Lowes), sand and perlite. I found out the hard way that the MG moisture control stuff is NOT for me! It's either to wet and compacts or to dry and turns to mortor. I couldn't find a happy medium. BTW, those 5 fish pepper plants are doing well. Some of them have a WHOLE LOT of white, not albino but alot. They are next to get potted up. I can't wait to see them mature! :D

Back