• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TCB's Grow Log 2010

Its about that time that i got around to finally posting some pics........... got a really late start this year (then again in trinidad, there is no late start........... u can start whenever u want....lol.... ;)

DIY greenhouse...... more like DIY shade shed :/

P1010993.jpg

Here's a view of what it has under it

P1010994.jpg

got some okra's that's been suffering ... waiting on me to put them in the ground
P1010995.jpg

here is a mix of Yellow T.Scorp., BS 7 pot and Barrackpore 7 pot........... the others are bronze lettuce that i'm gonna in the WC hydro for the first time, there are some sorrel seedlings and a few pea seedlings as well
P1010996.jpg

View of the peppers under the shade
P1010997.jpg

remaining portion
P1010998.jpg

Now for what's in the ground:

To prevent the dogs from running amok on the seedlings
P1011001.jpg

Closer view
P1011002.jpg

One Row
P1011003.jpg

They seem healthy........... sun is def. a killer this year........... temps reach 36 Cel. I planted two seedlings in one hole.... they're in the ground...... should not be a problem for root space
P1011004.jpg

Hi TCB, I imagine your weather is very similar to the weather here.
I'm just curious as to the reason for the shade? Your plants look big enough to be out in the sun.

yup they are definitely big enough to be out in the sun............... i have been putting off replanting them for the last two weeks, this weekend made it 3 weeks............ hopefully next weekend they'll be happily in the ground.........

reason for the shade is that i germinate them in direct sunlight out in the yard....... when they get a couple of true leaves and are in direct sunlight they shrivel up like a (well i can't think of a non sexual metaphor at this point) but you get the idea..... so i put them under the shade until they're about the size you see in the photos (even smaller).....

Peppers are looking great TCB.

Soak that okra seed overnight and direct sow it 1" deep about 6" apart, water it in good, then thin the sprouts to a foot apart. Do that and I'll bet it will catch and pass those starts in pots. ;)

36c. I can definitely relate to that; we've been running 37c here for over 45 days straight with a 38, 39, and another 39c (not normally this hot here where I live).
Nice looking plants, but wow, you've got no shortage of rocks there. Do you happen to know your latitude? I'm just a wee bit south of 14 deg. N.

Can't wait to see the pods. Cheers.

trinicoolieboy said:
To prevent the dogs from running amok on the seedlings
P1011001.jpg

Plants look great TCB, I had to laugh at the pic of your dog fence though. I can tell you that would NOT stop my pups from leaping over to invesigate what was hiding on the other side!

Best of luck to you this growing season! :cool:

Silver_Surfer said:
Peppers are looking great TCB.

Soak that okra seed overnight and direct sow it 1" deep about 6" apart, water it in good, then thin the sprouts to a foot apart. Do that and I'll bet it will catch and pass those starts in pots. ;)

yup......i usually plant okra's and peas directly in the ground.... but at the time i got them i was awaiting on a load of top soil to level in the garden... and well i just got seeds...... couldn't really wait...... u know that feeling....lol

AjarnV said:
36c. I can definitely relate to that; we've been running 37c here for over 45 days straight with a 38, 39, and another 39c (not normally this hot here where I live).
Nice looking plants, but wow, you've got no shortage of rocks there. Do you happen to know your latitude? I'm just a wee bit south of 14 deg. N.

Can't wait to see the pods. Cheers.

I am slightly south of 10°40'N ......... no sign of rain as the Inter Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) is no where to be seen in the first six months of the year......

Novacastrian said:
Banana flavoured Fanta?

You would not believe how good that tastes!.......... lol

Maligator said:
Plants look great TCB, I had to laugh at the pic of your dog fence though. I can tell you that would NOT stop my pups from leaping over to invesigate what was hiding on the other side!

Best of luck to you this growing season! :cool:

yup..... they are rottweilers..... trained not too interfere....... but who's to say if a mouse or lizard decides to run in there......... i'm sorry for my peppers

so its been about a month or so from since i lasted posted pics........ here is an update:

My very own modification to Miracle Gro's 15-30-15 weekly application:
P1011000-1.jpg

The previous plants i had under the shade cloth are all in the ground about 2 weeks or so:
P1011001-1.jpg

A view from the next end........... get me some Hungarian Hot Wax already
P1011003-1.jpg

Also got a couple Okra plants in the mix........ i call this one the "ganja okra" for the leaf on the right-most corner....hehe
P1011002-1.jpg

I still got some plants under the shade cloth that are just dying to be planted in the ground

Jalapenos
P10110052.jpg

Cayenne and Brain Strain in the seed tray
P10110062.jpg

Barrackpore 7 (Original seeds and last year's seeds) got a couple yellow t. scorps in there somewhere
P1011007.jpg

some others:

Only planted some tomato seedlings 2 days ago.... don't know if u can make them out in the pic
P1011006.jpg

Chinese Cabbage or Bok Choi
P1011005.jpg

Sorrel - i know..... i planted them too close..... but yeh whatever..... we'll see what happens
P1011004-1.jpg

First time ever attempt at hydro..... i am thinking this is a failed attempt at DWC.... well not so much the setup.......... but my problem lies with my nutes...... there isn't a commercially available hydro nute mix u can pick up at a store in trinidad............ u have to buy the actual chemicals like potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate, Diammoniumphosphate, Trisodiumphosphate, magnesium sulphate and somehow experiment by trial and error until u come up with a solution that works for you............. these pics show plants that are already 2 weeks old....... i don't think my solution is working all that well.... i am pretty sure the dynamics of my system is good.......... as i have lined the inside of the "box" with a double layer of pond lining plastic, used PVC ceiling as the "floating" top, there are a total of four 12" air stones being pushed by two pretty powerful air pumps....... i covered the exposed ends with the plastic so the sunlight doesn't affect the solution........

my current mix is just miracle gro 15-30-15 with calcium nitrate, magnesium sulphate and a very small pinch of table salt to get some chlorides in there (half concentration solution used)..... TDS is between 800 - 900 and the pH is between 6 - 6.5 .............. i only realised the the nitrogen in miracle gro come from ammonia and is slow release and not really applied in hydro........ rather nitrates are the better form of nitrogen for hydro.......... well enough talk........ here are the pics......... bronze lettuce and cabbage......... don't know what help / advice u guys can offer me in this situation:

Shot of the "System"
P10110002.jpg

Another one
P10110012.jpg

In this side we have cabbage
P10110022.jpg

And here we have the lettuce
P10110032.jpg

Back