• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper extract

When making pepper extract, I have heard everyone uses Habs to do so. Are the Habs used just because they are so hot or can you use a mixture of peppers? (I've got a few extra peppers laying around and wanna use them before they go bad). I have some Habs, Jalepenos, and some long red ones. I understand the dangers of makin the stuff I just wanna know if you get the same results useing a variety of peppers?

Dyce51 said:
When making pepper extract, I have heard everyone uses Habs to do so. Are the Habs used just because they are so hot or can you use a mixture of peppers? (I've got a few extra peppers laying around and wanna use them before they go bad). I have some Habs, Jalepenos, and some long red ones. I understand the dangers of makin the stuff I just wanna know if you get the same results useing a variety of peppers?

How do you make an extract????

Blue's
www.bluesbbq.net

Dyce51 said:

To the best of my knowledge, which ain't much btw, any chile can be used for making extracts in a variety of different forms.
The cap within the chile is what you're extracting, so obviously the hottest peppers would be the best choice because they naturally contain a higher concentration of capsaicin. You can obtain the same results using milder chile's, however it would take alot more time, effort and chile's to do the job of making a really hot extract..Of course, there is no rule that certain forms/stages of extract have to be blistering hot, so keep that in mind.

Back