• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

General Chicken Thread - Post your pics and set ups here...

After much inspiration from chilliman, Silver Surfer and one or two other members around four months ago, I decided to try my hand at raising chickens, and my initial efforts were shown in another thread.

Recent unseasonal rain and cold have prompted me to re-think my set up (just as well!) and make a decent effort to keep the chooks warm and dry.

Whereas before I'd had a chicken run with a sleeping area (no coop, per se) this is definitely not working, and since I used Chicken Math to calculate the flocks potential size, I really needed more space.

Note: Chicken Math is the science of calculating exactly how many chickens your run/coop can handle....and ending up with far more! :lol: It's no one's fault really....they just keep coming!

I know there are a few of us with chickens on here, so here's a thread for us all to share our attempts...;)

Here's two pics for starters....

In this one, you can see how in my misplaced kindness, I supplied the birds with shelving and tomato boxes, stupidly believing they slept in boxes and lay eggs at night...Dumb city boy!

chickenhousedec2009.jpg

I've decided to add a coop (with roosts!) to the area on the left, as you can see here...

p4260001mn.jpg

I have very little in the way of handyman skills, but hell, the chooks aren't unionised, so who're they gonna tell?!

I managed to get quite a bit done yesterday, since we actually had sun for part of the day.

This is a clearer view of their present roosting area...you can see why I needed to change the system!

p4280015.jpg

All timber barring the boards was lying about the home, and my intention was to evade all unnecessary costs...

Since I weigh 100kg, I had to build a strong base...

p4280020.jpg

The far side is slightly raised for water run off...

p4280022.jpg

Just needs the roof (Which will flap open for easy access, and some smaller bits, like roost braces, etc. Size is 8 x 5.5' and 5' high...

p4280026.jpg

That's where we are right now....Insert winking emoticon here

Looks great - and your girls are healthy!

Funny how one never has enough of the things that bring joy....LOL! So you're going larger, LV?

huntsman said:
Looks great - and your girls are healthy!

Funny how one never has enough of the things that bring joy....LOL! So you're going larger, LV?

Yep, I'll get a 1.5 metre X 1.5 metre one. I'm 99% going for a kit again, I priced up the parts and the kit is more expensive but a lot less hassle in buying timber and tin then borrowing tools to make it. They'll get a corner of the yard for a run as well, it'll have to wait until I'm back from my next work trip though.

We're in the middle of a monsoon-like deluge again today, and it has rained so much my chickens have webbed feet!

Instead of cool, dry weather, we're experiencing cold sodden weather, and I cannot get to the coop to finish it off, but the roof is on - though not yet waterproofed - and the chooks will definitely move in this week. Probably. ;-)

Yep. Have to agree with LV -

Excess roos are eaten, as are non-producing hens, though I seriously doubt we'll have any problems in that department. From what I've read, provided they are cared for, hens lay eggs. Simple.

Hey! It's a sunny day in Africa and I'm off outside to continue on the coop......!

Later...

Got to have a good Poop Catcher (or two!)

[FONT=&quot]
poopcatchers.jpg

They will go in on the left, under the roosts and on a bed of pine shavings...

coopinteriormay201002.jpg

[/FONT]

As you can see, there is a little doorway on the far side, via which the chooks access the run..

Here's the outside, painted in a waterproof wax coating...not pretty, but very functional!

finishedcoopmay2010.jpg

After a coon and a hawk reduced my pop I decided to do something about reversing the trend.

New additions to my flock just hatched this AM and are from minutes to a few hours old. Hopefully a few more will make it out of the shell soon, but if not I have a daily supply of eggs to start in the incubator.
Hatchlings7-2-10.jpg

One of my hens has started laying now, never expected them to start in winter.

Hey, Congrats, LV! Strangely, mine also started, on June 8th...

I have had nothing from my standards, but at least two bantams are laying now, and in the same nesting box, which I find strange...!

After a coon and a hawk reduced my pop I decided to do something about reversing the trend.

New additions to my flock just hatched this AM and are from minutes to a few hours old. Hopefully a few more will make it out of the shell soon, but if not I have a daily supply of eggs to start in the incubator.
Hatchlings7-2-10.jpg

Schweeet! Damn those coons! (Love being able to say that without getting arrested!) LOL!

What breed do you have there, Surfer? Is the black fella the same breed?

The city of calgary recently turned down a proposal to allow city residents to raise up to 6 chickens for egg purposes in the city limits. there was a big battle but our local alderman choose to vote against the bid. personally, I was looking forward to positive vote and would consider chickens for egg laying purposes.

I grew up on a farm and one of my jobs was to gather the eggs and I often discuss this with my children on how I had to go into the pen and put my hand under the hen and feel for the eggs. My kids love the story and really would like the same chance as I did, collecting eggs. I tease my wife all the time about getting chickens, she's a city gal and has only seen chickens, pigs and cows in books - she was glad about the vote. She has her dog, I want my chickens(I have my finches but its just not the same). I bet if I brought home chickens she would take a liking and Sparky is a Sheltie/Eskimo cross that would love to herd them.

This fall our entire city council is up for reelection including a new mayor, if they want my vote, one of them has better support chickens in the city.

Hey huntsman, the rooster was a Rhode Island Red, so there are crosses with Golden Laced Wyandottes and Barred Plymouth Rocks and pure Rhodies. The black is a cross with a Rock.

Hens like to lay in the same place and usually raise a ruckus if a hen is on the nest and another wants to use the facilities. :lol:
I have 8 nests for them, but they only use 2 and most times only one.

Good luck with your chicken campaign Mark. I hope you're successful and able to intro the joy of chooks and fresh eggs to your family. :)

In this poor economy, it's a mark of stupidity to do anything that prevents a home owner becoming more self sustaining.

Whilst eating your own hens' eggs will certainly not erase your mortgage, it will certainly means millions of dollars annually to the people of the city. It is also very empowering and that cannot be measured in dollars...

Shame on them.

Surferman -

Really pretty chicks! I bought three RIRs, but doubt any of them are true as they look nothing like Rhodies...LOL!

Yeah, I found another two eggs this evening and ....in the same box again! Silly buggers! Lol!

HEY! Who else has chooks and wants to share? :welcome:

Wow!

Huge difference, eh?! Must be double their previous pics' size at least...

I'll keep hoping, SS, but mine are almost at laying age, so I'm probably the proud owner of a trio of mongrels!

Fortunately, I'm now getting two to three eggs per day which is already more than we eat, so I can't complain about grub. :dance:

Back