• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Very leggy plants, what should I do?

Are these guys savable?

Here's an overview, side view from the right and then side view from the left.

overview.jpg

sideviewright.jpg

sideviewleft.jpg

I have read on here to pot up and "bury" some of the stem so they won't be so leggy. I've also read to add some sort of circulation (I had none) and to have the light source closer to the jiffy pods. I obviously didn't have that either.

So the big question: Erase two weeks of work and start over, or are these guys gonna be OK?

Here is what I would pot up to, if you guys would think it would behoove me to.

potup.jpg

Apologies if the images are too big. And apologies for the poor quality. I took them with my cell phone.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

wow, those images are huge. Attempting to resize.

Also forgot to mention I will be container gardening in 5-gallon buckets, and will be organic gardening.

Thanks!

Should be ok, mine were like that last year. Get lights closer or more lights. Just plant them deeper ( almost up to cotyldons) when you pot up. I would cut the weakest and leggiest and only leave one per pellet soon. And make sure to remove the netting before potting up.

phatlad said:
I have read on here to pot up and "bury" some of the stem so they won't be so leggy. I've also read to add some sort of circulation (I had none) and to have the light source closer to the jiffy pods. I obviously didn't have that either.

You already answered your own question! ;)

Not too sure about the Jiffy pots though, people seem to have problems with them. I never used them so I really can't say.

MrArboc said:
You already answered your own question! ;)

Not too sure about the Jiffy pots though, people seem to have problems with them. I never used them so I really can't say.

I use peat pots and have had no problem aside from some white fungus growing on the outside of them.

As said, the two things to do is to have the light as close as possible, maybe an inch above them and it helps to have a fan blowing on them. Make sure the fan starts off light and that will strengthen up the stalks and you can work your way up in fan strength as the plants grow.

I've never used the peat pots, but i hate those jiffy pellets which ive used few times with the least success.
I would plant the stems pretty deep and then add more light and if possible some moving air.

Thanks everyone! I'll update with progress after I pot up.

Also, thanks chili about telling me to remove the netting. I would not have known that.

This is my first year of growing, and I appreciate everyone on this board.

Plants look ok to me
I agree on avoiding the jiffys with peppers next time and would just use plastic cells or small pots with a good loose, well drained, pH ammended soil. The biggest things to watch out for with the jiffy pellets is for over or under watering, they have a tendency of being either to wet(fungal problems arise) or too dry which causes the pellets to crust up requiring soaking again to uncrust.
The jiffy pots aren't great for peppers either. They are made for plants with more aggresive roots that will grow into the pot but they don't work well for peppers in my opinion. If you do use them you'll probably want to remove the plants early before the roots grow into the pot

chillilover said:
I use peat pots and have had no problem aside from some white fungus growing on the outside of them.

I notice after using Jiffy pots and clay pot that the root systems don't develop as well as they do in clay. I don't know why but in the clay the roots are larger and better developed. Also I had a problem with roots growing into the pots themselves and its not fun when you have to pot up.

Clay pots aren't great in my opinion either. They get too hot and they wick away moisture from the plants, and they are heavy and expensive:( Just my thoughts

I do use some jiffy pellets but not the peat pots. I know a lot of growers hate pellets but I don't have a problem with them. The biggest thing is to be sure to soak them well first with hot water to expand them fully. By the time they absorb all the water and cool off you are ready to plant. Back to the subject, tear off the netting and plant those little seedlings as far up to the leaves as you can get them. They will be fine. Definitely get the multiples down to one pepper per pot.

I currently have over 50 seedlings going right now in Jiffy pots so I don't think I'm having any issues with them at all. But of course I think this is one of those "results may very" type of situations. Another thing you could do is if you plan to take (carefully) out the seedling from the jiffy pots you could coat the part of the stem you are going to bury with some kind of rooting hormone. Anyway im sure with what ideas you have been given up to know will be enough to get you going on the right track.

Happy planting. :)

UPDATE!

Just finished potting up and killing the weakest seedlings in each along the way. Definitely NOT going the pot-up-from-peat-pellets-to-jiffy-pot-route again. I'll have to figure out how I want to start my seedlings next year, but I've got 11 months to think about that!

What's the plan of action now? I assume there will be some shock. When should I transplant to the final destination of my 5-gallon buckets?

These guys look OK? Again, thanks in advance to everyone on this board. Y'all really, really make first-time growers feel welcome and treat us well!

pottedup.jpg

With new seedlings I always make sure I water very well. I have had seedlings die very quick when putting in new dry soil and it not being wet enough. Actually I have two right now and not sure they make it but I dont give up easy. Anyway make sure soil is nice and moist all the way through. I even go as far as wetting the pot itself so that the moisture will be soaked in. Good luck

I usually like potting up another size before my plants final pot up. I guess the choice is really up to you, but I'd wait till they get a few sets of leaves atleast.

Back