• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking brisket help

im gonna make a brisket for my buddies in a couple of weeks while we have a fairly large beer tasting. i have to use hot smoke and they are not chileheads per say, so i cant rub red savinas all over it (damnit). any suggestions on a marinade, cook time, etc?

thanks in advance!

OK Ross...

here is a recipe that I used a couple of times (it is from BBQ USA cookbook)with great success....not really spicy though it is full of flavor!

Meat Rub:
1/2 cup garlic salt
1/2 cup gran. sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed DARK brown sugar
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1tsp lemon pepper

Mix the rub mix well. take 1/3 rd of the mix and set it aside.
you will need that later.

Trim the outer layer of fat on the brisket so that there is about 1/4 inch remaining. If there is a pocket of fat between the flat and cap cut it out. Cut the meat into (depending on size of meat) into 2-3 equal peices.
The Day before (at least 12 hours) rub the Brisket down on both sides with the rub really well. Wrap meat with plastic wrap and place it in your fridge.

You will also need a few cups of apple cider. The recipe calls for 2 cups but I always use more. Pour apple cider into a (new) plastic spray bottle.

OK ...set your smoker or if useing a grill set it up for inderect grilling an place 1 -2 cups of wet wood chunks on the coals and let it warm up.

When your ready to cook set the brisket in the center of the hot grate with a drip pan under it.

cook the brisket until it is browned about 3 hours. You spray the meat every hour with the apple cider. Turn the meat over and cook for 1 more hour. I you are useing a chacoal grill you must add 12 fresh hot coals every hour along with a lil more wet wood chunks.

Now 4 hours of cook time has passed.

Spray each piece of meat with apple cider again and get the reserved 1/3 batch of rub. Sprinkle each peice of meat til all the rub is gone. Wrap each peice of meat with heavy aluminum foil. Return the wrapped meat to the grill and continue cooking the brisket til it's very tender (this takes about 3-4 hours).Again if useing charcoal grill you must add 12 coals and a lil more wood every hour. Partially unwrap meat and test for doneness. It should be very dark in color and very tender, having an internal temp of 190 F.

Remove the brisket from the grill or smoker and let it "rest" for 20 minutes. Serve the brisket but thin slicing it across the grain of the meat. Serve it straight up or with your favorite sauce....

Enjoy hope this helps

If you want to kick up the above recipe a bit without chilies you can add a shot of Jack Daniels to cider. Gives it a great flavor and really compliments the smoke.

Wow, Dyce is all over the Brisket techniques. I may swipe a few of those pointers myself. Thanks Dyce.

Hey Ross when I smoke a brisket I use a Raspberry Chipotle sauce for marinating (1 day in the fridge and about 12 hrs at room temp, before hitting the smoker.) I can’t think of the actual brand at this moment, but it does have just a teeny tiny amount of heat. (Not beyond what non chili heads can handle.) I am sure there are plenty of good ones out there. I wouldn’t smoke one without it
One other tip…take it or leave it, I’m no pro….. Use cherry wood for smoke. I smoked one for a party here last year and one of my neighbors said “That’s the best piece of meat I’ve ever had in my mouth, period” :) There was an uncomfortable moment of silence as his wife left the room.

Oh last thing…..Drink lots of Bud;) ………. ok ok drink your brews of choice brother.

Ok last last thing…..halve up a couple onions and throw em in the smoke.

thanks for the suggestions. that recipe sounds good.

hillbilly, for you, ill drink a tall boy of bud during the initial cooking phase, then its on to the good shit that we are gathering around for :)

wait -

cut it in 3 peices, and turn them over? so as in the fat side is down?

i thought that was a no no..

Hey Ross, wow a tall boy to boot...very cool. I may just find a queens ale or something out here and slam one in your honor.The brand I use is "Dante's". Sam's Club sells it.

I dont cut my briskets at all. I do trim the fat after cooking, I think having those juices helps tremendously as far as tenderness and flavor. Saying that...Dyce sure seems to to know far more than I regarding the subject. Check out his comments regarding lump coal vs briquettes, he hit the nail on the head there (sorry Kingsford)

Ditto on the cherry wood, it's a must-have in your 'smoking arsenal'. I usually use a mesquite-cherry mix for brisket and pork shoulder and a cherry/hickory for green hams. Soak the chips in apple juice and cider vinegar and cheap-as-you-can-find bourbon(or any whiskey) for a few days, and, of course, use this mixture to spray the meat with. When I run out of cherry wood, I'll sometimes put tart cherry juice in the chip-soaking mixture above.

brookthecook

The only reason I do cut the Brisket is to make them a lil easier to handle....I usually do rather large briskets.

Here's how I roll:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=923

Dyce's tips sound solid but I differ in that I 1) would not use brown sugar in a brisket rub and 2) would NEVER cut the brisket into pieces.

Then again, if you're using a smaller grill or trying to smoke it in less time then that might make sense...but not for me.

The longer and slower ( low temp...200-225º ) the better it will be.

chuk hell said:
Here's how I roll:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=923

Dyce's tips sound solid but I differ in that I 1) would not use brown sugar in a brisket rub and 2) would NEVER cut the brisket into pieces.

Then again, if you're using a smaller grill or trying to smoke it in less time then that might make sense...but not for me.

The longer and slower ( low temp...200-225º ) the better it will be.

I agree on the don't cut angle. I use a vertical water smoker (WSM) and yet, have done 19 lb packers on it. If you roll up or tuck under the edges and put a little piece of foil underneath the outide edges (since they get more direct heat), you're good. A couple hours into the cook, you can remove them as the brisket shrinks.

There were reference's to mustard as well as cider sprays. That's a great way to go. I use good ol' fashioned French's regular mustard. I slather the brisket(or babybacks too) then wrap in plastic film and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. I then take out and let sit for an hour to take the chill off. Meantime I have a Mini-Chief electric smoker crankin'. I like a mix of hickory with a little mesquite thrown in. Usually takes about 8 hours with brisket depending on how cool the weather is, ribs about half of that. About once an hour I will lightly spray apple cider vinegar. Coke makes for a good spray as does beer too. You can't go too slow with brisket. I have found keeping the rub or marinade simple works best for me.

Try the America's Test Kitchen website. They did their's with paprika and onion I think. Added bonus was a side of smashed potatoes with cream cheese.

Scotty said:
I agree on the don't cut angle. I use a vertical water smoker (WSM) and yet, have done 19 lb packers on it. If you roll up or tuck under the edges and put a little piece of foil underneath the outide edges (since they get more direct heat), you're good. A couple hours into the cook, you can remove them as the brisket shrinks.

You said there is no reference to mustard or cider....I use dry mustard in the rub and it does say to spray it once an hour with apple cider...

chuck -

i remember reading yours a while back, but you use cold smoke, correct? that is why i posted a topic because i don't have an indirect smoker like you do. if i smoked it for 22 hours i may as well just cut the sole off my shoe and serve it :)

how long do you think i should adjust the time? maybe do it 6 hrs in total? your rub and recipe sounds good, i cant decide which one to go with!

Is it a flat or the whole brisket with the dinkel still on? I use mustard (Frenches) just paint it on you dont need a lot just enought to hold your rub on, I agree with not using brown sugar, it tends to burn, is it going to be in a smoker? or kettle grill?
smoke fat side up at 250F if there is not alot of fat on it you can make your mop with oil or place some bacon on top this will help in keeping it from drying out, I like the way mesquite flavors the meat so that is my choice with Brisket especially with a spicy beer sauce on the side yum
heres a tip: before you smoke it look at the grain and slice across it with your knife tip this way you'll know which way to cut it when its done... dont need to cook for 5-6hrs and slice it to have leather :think:

I used this one alot I have tweeked over the years but I love love love the sauce -- change the chipoltes to taste -- I use 1 or 2 peppers with some liquid with my kids (11 and 8)

6 to 8 mesquite, hickory, or pecan wood chunks
1 recipe Vinegar Mop Sauce
1 3- to 3-1/2-pound fresh beef brisket
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 recipe Spicy Beer Sauce
12 kaiser rolls, split and toasted (optional)

Directions
1. At least 1 hour before smoke cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover. Drain before using.

2. Prepare Vinegar Mop Sauce; set aside. Trim fat from meat. For rub, in a small bowl combine seasoned salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic pepper, and cumin. Sprinkle mixture evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers.

3. In a smoker arrange preheated coals, drained wood chunks, and water pan according to the manufacturer's directions. Pour water into pan. Place meat on grill rack over water pan. Cover; smoke for 5 to 6 hours or until meat is tender, brushing occasionally with Vinegar Mop Sauce during the last hour of smoking. Add additional coals and water as needed to maintain temperature and moisture.

4. To serve, thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve meat with Spicy Beer Sauce. If desired, serve meat and sauce in Kaiser rolls. Makes 12 servings.

5. Vinegar Mop Sauce: In a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup beer, 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon cooking oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon jalape?o mustard or other hot-style mustard, and a few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce.

6. Spicy Beer Sauce: In a medium saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine. Add 3/4 cup chopped, seeded, peeled tomato (1 large); 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium); and 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 cup bottled chili sauce, 1/2 cup beer, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until reduced to about 2-1/4 cups.

Back