• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

My Town's a Cooks Paradise!..........

I live in Clifton, N.J. and although it's not an especially pretty town (used to be an old mill town) it is truly a Mecca for pepper lovers, those who love to cook ethnic dishes, & for finding virtually ANY pepper or other ingredient you need. We have an awesome farmer's market (it's technically in Paterson, but only 2 blocks out of Clifton.) Not a yuppie farmer's market, but the real deal. Not only are the fruits/veggies a fraction of supermkt. prices, there are also many ethnic food stores, two fish markets, a flower & plant nursery, halal meat stores & a dried spice store. I LOVE to go on weekends (tho it's packed) because you hear so many different languages & see so many native costumes! We have Corrado's, which is a specialty supermkt which has a liquor dept., a kitchen shop, a bulk quantity shop & a wine & beer home brewing supplies shop. Clifton has many people from the Caribbean,Hispanic, Russia, Palestine & other mid-east countries, a large Hungarian & Polish community & they bring their ethnic cooking to our wonderful melting pot.We have so many cute, small restaurants representing the foods of all these nations. I could go on & on, but you can tell, it's a cook's paradise! We also get many more pepper plant varieties at the farmer's market because of this ethnic diversity. Although NYC is only 17 miles away...you never have to go there to find an ingredient...you never have to special-order it....it's all right here in Clifton!

Yup, pileiton, you're absolutely right! I must admit, though, when we first moved here everyone said "Oh you've gotta try Rutts Hutt!" Kids & I went down, ordered & none of us liked it, at all!

I grew up in Morristown, used to go to Clifton for their comic shop by the school years ago. I gotta defend Rutt's. It's amazing especially on the way back from the Meadowlands. The smell of the place, the crunch of a ripper... just awesome.

The Hot Grill while good just doesn't have the same feel. Not as old or revered nor does it have a menu item that is as renown as the ripper. Down in the North Virginia/D.C. area I feel the same in regards to Five Guys vs. Z Burger/Ray's Hell Burger. Five Guys was first and the burger and fries are exemplary. Later down the road a new place opens to compete but offers an expanded menu and attention to the burger dissipates.

Unfortunately there is an end to everything. Restaurants change in management or certain ingredients are no longer provided by the the same supplier, etc. Who knows, Rutt's may one day end and the only option will be the lacking Hot Grill.

Ever head to Jersey City for White Mana burgers? Another exceptional experience. Being buzzed/drunk might be necessary for that particular adventure.

Back