• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

sambal kecap

I'll give you from the book 1st, then my twist on the recipe.

1- fresh red chile,seeded & finely chopped
2 - garlic cloves, crushed
4 tbsp - dark soy sauce (which I found that la choy tastes best for this IMO)
4 tsp - lemon juice or 1 tbsp tamarind juice
2 tbsp - hot water
2tbsp - deep fried onion slices

place chopped chile,garlic,soy sauce in small bowl. stir in lemon or tamarind juice, mix well, thin with hot water.

stir in deep fried onions, cover & leave sit for 30 mins before using.

well I have a bad habit of not follow recipes & adding my own twist to them :) so sorry for not having true measurements for ya.

- decide how many fresh HOT red chiles you'd like to use, EX about 5 red jalapenos worth, cut them up & keep the seeds in.
- 3 to 4 good size garlic cloves, cut them up small
- 1 large white onion (or more?), cut it up

now take half of each item (chile/garlic/onion) & saute them, the other half keep it fresh.
once you're done sauteing that other half, throw the sauted veggies & the fresh veggies into a bowl, add soy sauce to cover it all(or at least almost level to top of veggies)
add some lime & lemon juice to your liken, mix it all good, let it sit for about 15 min. to let flavors blend together.
& later you can microwave it to warm it up for eating.

& this is great for dipping chicken,beef,venison,etc... into it.
if you choose to make a smaller batch, just use less. sorry its one of those cook on the fly recipes, but its good ! oh & I dont think green chiles taste good with this, keep'em red, but if you want green go for it cuz its all in you're own taste.

I guess its sort of a asian recipe, simple & quick to make.

you're correct this sauce goes better with unseasoned meat. I really like using this sauce with plain grilled chicken or plain pan fried chicken, theres just something about the basic crisp taste of chicken with this sauce, but thats my tastebuds.

its funny looking back & seeing me say jalapenos in the recipe, but back then I really didnt know of that many different chiles, so use whatever chile suits you.

I made my first sauce yesterday after reading this thread. I had two cherry bombs that were all red - the rest is still turning red), and I decided that I'd make sambal.

Obviously, with a twist, in that I took:

. 2 cherry bombs (not seeded)
. 4 garlic cloves
. 1 onion
. some crushed tomato sauce
. 1 lemon
. ketjap manis
. brown sugar (the legal one)

Chopped peppers, garlic, onion, and fried it all in peanut oil for about 5 minutes. Added a bit of ketjap during frying. Then put it in a bowl, and added lemon and brown sugar to taste.

The end result was surprisingly good. It smelled and tasted like sambal. Sting was good, but not overly hot (next time I'll double the cherry bombs).

Next time I'll also add some fruit (pineapple) to make it taste like sambal roedjak.

Nothing spectacular, but having been a sambal freak all my life, and now to be able to make it myself from my own peppers for the first time, is a big thing to me. :cool:

Back