• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Secret Ingredient Throwdown - Mango

Who Has The Best Mango Ingredient Meal/Drink Combo?

• Novacastrian - Mango Chicken and Tequila Delight

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • PerkoXxX - Ling with Mango and Chili and a Mango/Pomegranate Sauce and Drink

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • frydad4 - Mango-Pork Egg Rolls with Mango Mojito Martini FD4 Style

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • heartbreakingdawns - Fatallity Tacos w/ Soothing Chingo Elixir

• Ratman667 - Mango Pork Chops with White Rice, Steamed Veggies and Mango Curry, and Mango/Cran-Apple/

• thehotpepper.com - Skirt Steak with Mango Serrano Chimichurri, Dark Rum Maduros, and Coco Mango Tang

• SumOfMyBits - Jerk Chicken Satay w/Mango Cucumber Salsa and Mango Tequila Sunrise

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • P. Dreadie - Dreadie's Pasta From Hell with Shrimp and Dreadie's Dango

• JayT - JayT's Island Dream Sampler Platter and Mango Mojito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • salsalady - Salsalady's Seared Ahi with Mango Habanero Sauce, Mango-Black Bean Salad, and Mango Rum

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Please vote now! Who had the best meal/drink combo using MANGO?!

Simple entry from me, i couldn't get fresh mango so the canned version will have to suffice.

Teaser for "Mango Chicken and Tequila Delight".

Contest007.jpg

Cooked the chicken breast in blended mango, onion, garlic, one Bonda Ma Jaque, teaspoon of chilli powder (Douglah/Naga/Scorpion). Cooked until the sauce thickened and topped with fresh Serrano and Brocoli.

The drink was simply smashed mango, two nips of Tequila, squeeze of lemon topped up with lemon and lime soda. Voila!

Mango003.jpg

Ling With Mango and chili and a Mango/Pomegranate sauce
PICT0757.jpg

PICT0765.jpg

Ingredients:
Ling
Mango
Red Chili
Green Chili
Carrot
Radish
Squash
Ginger
Snow Peas
Pomegranate
Vietnamese Mint
Lime

Mango/Pomegranate and vietnamese mint Up Front
PICT0758.jpg

PICT0760.jpg

Ingredients:
Water
Pomegranate
Vietnamese Mint
Mango
Lime

(Is this all i need to do?)

Mango-Pork Egg Rolls with Mango Mojito Martini FD4 Style

Well it was a wonderful day in sunny Miami...
I've been out of the loop for a bit, and throwdowns are my passion. I have a lot of pent-up aggression for this one.
I took a Boston Butt, rubbed it with salt, covered it with scotch bonnets and green onions, wrapped the whole thing in a banana leaf, and roasted that beast all day...slow and low. Meanwhile, some mint leaves were bathing in some simple syrup (for the drink)

After the first 18 pack of Busch light, I shredded the pork, sliced up the mango, and made a scotch bonnet relish with cilantro and green onion (it was so good!).

I took some egg-roll wrappers, stuffed them with some banana leaf pork, a slice of mango, and some of the scotch bonnet relish. Fried em up at 350 for a few mins until crispy.
At the same time, I made a Mango Nectar Reduction using some of the relish for heat. This was used for a dipping sauce.

The drink is a Mango Mojito Martini. Dark Rum, Mint-infused Simple Syrup, Fresh Mango, and Mango Nectar. Shaken over ice, served in a martini glass. It was awesome.

Enjoy the pics. It was a fun one.

May1.jpg

The meat, pre-banana-leaf-wraping

May2.jpg

This is the assembly line. You can see the reduction, the egg roll, the relish, the mango, and parts of the drink. And the Busch Light, an American Classic.

...And the money shots...

May3.jpg

May4.jpg

Good Luck Everyone.

FD

qs8fo7.jpg

Here are the ingredients for my FATALLITY TACOS w/ SOOTHING CHINGO ELIXIR.
Rub for the Pork Loin: 5 Kush Peppers, Coarse Sea Salt, Black Peppercorns & Cumin...Slow Roasted Pork.
The Mango/Fatalli Relish: olive oil, lime juice, Fatalli Puree, mango, red bell pepper, scallion honey, cilantro and flax seed.
The Elixer: Puree 5 slices of Mango w/ 2tbs Lime, pour into a glass rimmed with Karo and Chili Powder. Fill with Original Ginseng-Up Soda.
2v0k4kh.jpg

oh and here it is with the $.35
o5zvq8.jpg

It was very tasty, and had a seriously substantial heat, b/t the rub and the puree. I still topped it off each bite with a nice red hot sauce. I went back and fourth between Ronz Hot Sauce (from North Market) and Danny Cash's Red Cayenne.

Mango porkchops with white rice, steamed veggies and mango curry

I started with rubbing the porkchops (loin) in a mix of Thai Hot powder, red pepper flakes, a pinch of curry powder, garlic powder, thyme and rosemary.

I placed them in a pan with chicken stock, lime juice, thyme and covered with a mix of Thai hots, curry and mango. I then placed a thick slice of mango on top of that and sprinkled a little cinnamon on top. They were broiled at 375* for 30 minutes.

The rice was just plain white rice...

The veggies were steamed with garlic, Thai hots and Serrano peppers. A little butter was mixed in after they were cooked.

The mango curry was mango, curry powder, dried Thai hots, dry red habs, white pepper, thyme and a pinch of cinnamon.

The veggies were plated on top of the rice topped by the curry sauce.

My beverage was simple, yet good. It was a mix of pureed mango, cran-apple and cinnamon blended with tequila and served margarita style.

downsized_0507002323a.jpg

I applilgize for the phone pic... Ms. Ratman didn't know this was for THP, she thought it was me being nice... So, I had to sneak a photo when she wasn't looking.

Skirt Steak with Mango Serrano Chimichurri, Dark Rum Maduros, and Coco Mango Tango

Mango Serrano Chimichurri Sauce
2 bunches flat leaf parsley, chopped
8 serrano peppers, cut into thin rings
2 mangoes, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Course sea salt

Stir and let sit. Stir occasionally.

Dark Rum Maduros
2 ripe (black) plantains, cut into sections
2 tablespoons dark rum
Course sea salt

Put directly on the grill for grill marks. When soft, wrap in foil and add dark rum. Let them steam on the grill. When plated, sprinkle with course sea salt.

Skirt Steak
Rub with steak rub and fatalii powder. Brush with olive oil. Grill over direct flame. Lump charcoal for the perfect heat/sear. Cook to medium rare.

Top the steak with the chimichurri, plate the maduros, and serve with:

Coco Mango Tango
1 part dark rum
1 part coconut cream (not milk)
2 parts mango nectar

Serve on the rocks with a mango slice as garnish.

Please click for larger pictures.

Attachments

• mango_skirt.jpg
    mango_skirt.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 96
  • chimichurri_sauce.jpg
    chimichurri_sauce.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 92
  • skirt_flame.jpg
    skirt_flame.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 92
Jerk Chiken Satay w/mango cucumber salsa

So the awesomeness police were out in force in SoFlo land. There were many neighbors searched around the FD4 household, but they could not pinpoint our location. Maybe our Busch Light induced benevolence created a force-field of goodwill and subverted their suspicions... or maybe it was just blind luck... Regardless, awesomeness was unfolded. Let me share a bit of this undertaking with you.

The teaser pic posted earlier showed a home made wet rub jerk seasoning/marinade. It has to be my best one yet! And I don't lie. It was confirmed by my Busch Light. To divulge some ingreeds:

Jerk paste:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 home grown habaneros (the best)
1/2 large yellow onion
2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
4 tsp ground allspice
4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp molasses
~1/4 cup fresh lime juice

So with that I marinated three chicken breasts, but these hunks of meat were cut into ~1/2" thick strips to draw in the enveloping flavor. After 4+ hours of soaking in the goodness, they were weaved onto bamboo skewers and brought to the flame. And they loved it.

Saving them from their fiery demise, they were plated and topped with a soothing mango cucumber salsa.

Salsa:
2 mangoes
3/4 red onion
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (cilantro is better)
2 squeezed limes for juice
dash of kosher salt
2 orange habaneros
[Edit: 3/4 cucumber... how did I forget that?]
[dice it all up]

Sum pics?

IMG_2056.jpg

Here's a picture with FD4 lurking in the background.
IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

And the money shot. The drink is a mango tequila sunrise... of which this image just does not do the drink's inner beauty justice.
IMG_2081.jpg

SoFlo Posse

DREADIE'S PASTA FROM HELL WITH SHRIMP

2- Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 Yellow onion, diced small
1- Red Bell pepper, diced small
2- Thinly sliced Carrots
1 to 2 Cup Sliced Mushrooms
4 to 6 Chopped Green onions ... white & green parts
2- Cloves Garlic minced
1 or 2- Slightly Green (firm) Bananas, sliced into thick bite sized pieces
1-large Mangoe Sliced into large bite size chunks
1- Small can Pineapple tidbits .... drained and juice saved
Juice of 3 Oranges
Juice of 2 Limes
2 - Tablespoons Dark Rum

For heat I use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of my home made Inner Beauty Style Hot sauce
3- Harold's St Barts Peppers
3- Trinidad Perfume Pepper ..... more for the aroma and flavor than heat

8 - Shrimp or more ... all I could find was 13 count ... I would have rather had those big
suckers but couldn't find any
1/2 Cup or more chopped Cilantro leaves
1- Tablespoon Butter
1/2 Cup or more grated Parmesan Cheese
1 pound Fettuccine

Mix juices and Rum, taste for sweetness vs tartness and adjust with brown sugar if
needed. Sauté Onion , Carrots, Mushrooms and Bell Pepper until tender. Toss in the
garlic and green onions. Add the juice mixture and chopped hot peppers along with the
hot sauce and*simmer for 5 minutes.

Taste to test for hottness.Add the Shrimp and Cilantro, simmer 1 minute. Add the
Mango, Pineapple tidbits , and Bananas and simmer for 1-2 minutes.Don’t over cook
Bananas and Mango. You want them firm. Mix in cheese with the butter and top off the
cooked Fettuccini.
Add Salt and Black Pepper to taste.

DSCF26.jpg

Shouldn't have used a Flash .....

DSCF2651.jpg

DREADIE'S DANGO- MANGO RUM DRINK

DSCF2655.jpg

Hope I posted everything right....... Quarter & a Dime

Peace,
P. Dreadie

JayT's Island Dream Sampler Platter

Ingredients:
Flank Steak
Chicken Breasts
Tilapia Fillets
Mangoes
Red Onion
Red Bell Pepper
Peach Habanero
Jalapeno
Jasmine Rice
Cilantro
Mint
Garlic
Spices

The Mango Mojito - Rum, Mango puree, mint, Agave nectar, lime juice, lemon lime soda

100_6302.jpg

The Sampler Platter:
First a bed of the mango/cilantro/lime rice, then thin slices of the grilled marinated chicken breast and flank steak, as well as a blackened Tilapia fillet. Then topped with the grilled salsa including mango, red onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, mint, red wine vinegar, canola oil, sea salt.

100_6323.jpg

100_6324.jpg

Salsalady's Seared Ahi with Mango Habanero sauce, Mango-Black Bean salad and Mango Rum drinks

Here's the ingredients- plus a couple others I forgot to include or decided I needed while cooking-
5thgradeband050710001.jpg

The sauce is a reduction of-
2 mangoes, shallots, ginger, garlic, fresh lime juice, honey, orange juice and orange habanero.

the salad is-
black beans, 2 mangoes, red bell pepper, purple onion, green jalapeno, cilantro, ginger, garlic, fresh lime juice, pinch of salt. This salad is a great cool offset to the hot ahi and sauce! The mango juice was the only dressing needed, with a splash of lime. YUMMY!

Here's these 2 at prep stage-
5thgradeband050710003.jpg

And the finish!
There's a drink for the salsakid made with mango, coconut milk OJ and ice on the right.
And on the left is the grown up drink made with mango, mango rum, coconut rum, regular rum, oj, coconut milk, ice. It sounds like it should be really sweet, but the OJ tones down the sweetness to make it a good pairing with the spicy entree.

The Ahi was sprinkled with salt, pepper, and fatalli powder, then cooked in a hot pan. I had to do it a little more done than what some folks do their tuna, but we're the ones eating it. The mango sauce was PERFECT for the seared ahi! All in all a delightful Mother's Day lunch, even if I did have to cook it myself.
Enjoy!
5thgradeband050710004.jpg

5thgradeband050710009.jpg

Tough one to call. I really liked SL's tuna, as well as several others but in the end....ya'll know I love my fried food. FD4 got my vote for the mango pork egg rolls! SoFlo Posse rides again!! Giddyup' ya'll!

I must say that everyone stepped it up for this one. The presentations get better every time. But in the end, SL you got my vote. The tuna is perfectly medium rare the way I like it, the sauce looks amazing and that salad looks great too. Well done.

go nova go! it looked like you made curry and since i love curry so much i voted for it.. but its not cury oh well noa needs his crown too.

Gotta say THP, I'm diggin' this new throwdown format. Iron Chef style definitely brings more variety to the table. This was a fantastic throwdown with some fantastic entries. Props to everyone who participated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back