• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

leaves curling

RS67Man said:
Image inserting is easy. Wrap the website address to your photos in IMG tags. it will look like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/50002859@N08/4595504792/[/img]

The brackets and backslash is very important, needs to be typed exactly as shown. In your post it will look like this when submitted:

:rofl:

(Sorry)

thanks for your help guys! from the chart i'd say maybe a case of too much fert, but i'd like an experts opinion?
has any1 else experienced this before?

I just came back from a friends house and he had increased his normal liquid plant food amount and added bat guano high in nitrogen and the leaves on his plants were curling under like the ones in your pictures, so I told him to just use water instead of his liquid plant food for at least a few days, he is running a Ebb and Flow Hydroponic system.

His plants were just curling under a little bit on the tips before he added the higher amount of plant food, now that he added the higher amount of plant food they look like the leaves in your pictures.

If you are using high amounts of liquid plant food for feeding your plants in the soil I would recommend that you flush your plants with water and then just use water for at least a week and if your plants look good after a week go ahead and start using plant food in a smaller amount than you were using, I do not know what you are using for plant food so I can not tell you how much to use but when my plants are Big and Bushy I like to keep my Nitrogen at no more than about 7 1/2 if I am feeding once every week or not above about 15 if I am feeding my plants every two weeks, but your plants are not that big yet so you would only need about half that much. I have experienced bloom drop before with my chilies when I used Miracle-Gro Tomato Plant Food 18-18-21 feeding my plants every two weeks, it was to high in Nitrogen for my plants so I just used water for about a week and a half and then cut back on the amount of plant food I was using per gallon and the bloom drop stopped.

Thanks 777. its good to know im not the only one having this problem. i have been giving them a foliar feed of chilli focus at 1/2 strength once a week for two weeks. also my potting mix is made up of 3 parts miracle gro to 3 parts loam compost and 1 part perlite (for no reason other than to experiment). could it be that the m' gro is the source of the problem? from what ive heard its not too popular as a growing medium for pepers, but i am a total newbie.

also, another of my plants seems to be suffering with its young leaves curling over, and 1 or 2 dropping. any ideas what could be causing it?
will post pics later...

I just looked at the Chilli Focus Analysis of the plant food you are using at this link http://www.growthtechnology.com/downloads/Chilli-Focus-instructions.pdf and from the info that I see it looks to me like your plants are under feed, the plant food that you are using is very low in nutrients 2.98-0.97-4.39 and if you are only using 1/2 strength once a week I would say that you should at least be using full strength with the plant food you are using from looking at the size of your plants, 1/2 strength once a week would be for new sprouts with your plant food.

I would not be foliar feeding the plants in place of feeding in the soil with your plant food, just add your plant food to the soil for now.

You could try what I said on just one of your plants and see what happens, if it helps the one plant then you will know what to do with the rest.

If you go to the link that I posted above for Chilli Focus Analysis and scroll down to the second page and read (The new plants will now need regular nutrition), (Vegetative plants) and (Flowering and fruiting plants) it will tell you about how to increase the amount of plant food that you are using as the plant gets bigger.

anyone else agree that i'm under feeding these plants? dont really wanna burn them out by over feeding if not.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was researching this exact same problem and found these pictures on a Google search that are identical to what my pepper plants are now doing. This is my first time trying to grow peppers hydroponically. I am using a large 27 gallon tote for two plants. The plants are still a bit smaller then the others in the post but the leaves are doing the exact same thing. Mine are growing in a DWC with a large air stone running 24/7. I am using DYNA-GRO Bloom only 3-12-6 with micro nutrients. My PPM is around 700 with my tap water being 150PPM before adding nutrients. My PH is consistently 5.9-6.0. The water temp is usually about 78-80F. I run them under LED lights for about 15 hours a day. I too am wondering what is wrong. The PPM, PH, TEMP and lights all seem in order to me.

My only other thought to try would be to change the nutrients since I am out of Dyna-Gro. I have master blend 4-18-38, calcium nitrate and Epson salt I can mix in a 2, 2, 1 ratio until I have about 700PPM if anyone thinks that will help.

One thing I did notice that did not add up is that it took much more dyna-gro then I though to reach my PPM. It seemed too much to me but I do believe my PPM meter is accurate but until I get a second one I cannot be sure.

These are also in my house, so no pests.

Looks fine to me, i think they just wanted more water and started to droop from the lack of it. Coco coir dont need to dry out completely before you water it again.

Chilidude,

thanks for your response but I hijacked this old thread cause I had the same symptoms. I added pictures below my original post.

Ralistin said:
Chilidude,

thanks for your response but I hijacked this old thread cause I had the same symptoms. I added pictures below my original post.

In those hydroponic growing pictures, i think it is just stress and may pass in time. Very normal behavior for chilis and i would not stress it too much as a grower.

Chilidude said:
Looks fine to me, i think they just wanted more water and started to droop from the lack of it. Coco coir dont need to dry out completely before you water it again

For Neil--
I'm with Chilidude on this one it looks to me as though they just need a drink, what's your watering schedule and are you familiar with the "lift test for watering"?

For Ral--
Perhaps too much heat or calcium def?
:cheers:

Are the leaves dark green? (hard to say with the purple lighting)
If so (dark green + curling down), my bet would be too much nitrogen.

The curling is slowly getting more pronounced. I think I found one problem. My reservoir temp is at 81F and in my research it should be between 68-75F optimally with over 80 not being good. The roots look good however. Thoughts?

I don't think it is too much N since what I use is 3-12-6. Calcium is 2% so don't think that is it either. I have two going and the only way to find out is if I lower one and see the difference. So in goes the gallon ice jug.

Back