• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jason's 2010 grow log

How is everyone today? A few of my seed have sprouted for my 2010 season so I thought i'd post a couple of pics. Nothing too flash at this stage but will be sure to keep updating as they progress. Hopefully I will end up with around 50 or so plants (including ones in the groung already and a few Bird's eyes and Orange Habs), however I was going through Timmies thread the other day and I may just regret that many plants.
So here is the list ATM
Seeds in: 4 x Trini Scorp, 4 x 7 Pot, 4 x 7 Pot "Jonah", 4 x Yellow 7 Pot, 4 x Naga Morich, 4 x Dorset Naga, 4 x Bih Jolokia, 4 x Bhut Jolokia and 4 x Choc Bhut. I'm trialling the aspirin mix on one tray while the other will be getting "normal" nutes.
This is Tray #1 (no aspirin) planted 29 Apr 2010
2010growlog012.jpg

This is tray #2 (aspirin) planted 02 May 2010
2010growlog001.jpg

The seedlings from Tray #1
2010growlog011.jpg

The seedling from tray #2
2010growlog010.jpg

So I'm not expecting much from the aspirin at this stage. I soaked those seeds in an aspirin solution for 8 hours prior to sowing them. and give them a dose every week but other than that they all just get plain old tap water. but again once a fortnight they get a dose of weak nutes.

Tray one has the following shoots; 2 x Trinin Scorp, 2 x Bih Jolokia, 2 x 7 Pot, 1 x 7 Pot "Jonah", 1 x Yellow 7, 1 x Bhut and 1 x Dorset Naga.

Trat #2 has only got 1 x 7 Pot, But just discovered this morning that it has hooks coming up from Trini Scorp and Dorset Naga.

Just curious as to when you guys would cull the weaker of twin plants?
Here is a Trini Scorp pair
Twins003.jpg

And here is a 7 Pot pair
Twins004.jpg

And here are my babies back in bed
Twins006.jpg

The times I have the light set for keep the grow station at pretty much a constant 32 degrees celcius.
On the left is a gift from the in-laws, had no idea it would take off like it did in just 3 short days but there are 27 seeds in that bag and I'm pretty sure every last one has sprouted. on the right is just a few Bird's eyes and Orange Habs which aren't doing too well at all. but just thought I'd try out the old egg carton ploy and see how it went.

Also wondering if I need to lower the lights over these seedlings? The only problem I have is the labels stick up quite high.
Twins006.jpg

The globes I have for my light are 18watt 4000k. Are these ok or do I need to change them? They seem to be doing ok so far bit it's only early days yet though.

More developments from the grow station this am.
Tray #1 was a bit quiet, but I did get another hook coming out of a pellet that already had a Bih Jolokia that sprouted a few days ago and also a Naga Morich is just showing through the surface.
Tray #2 The trini Scorp and Dorset Naga hooks both straightened out and are looking good, also got an extra 7 Pot hook and a Naga Morich hook.

Nice vars! You shold try to get the lamp down a bit, but you can alwas plant them deep when repotting. But try to have it as close at possible. I had to cut my labels in half to fit. And when i look at your pic, you culd do the same!

Just a bit annoying when they grow big with small labels but you can alwas make new ones ;) It will be worth it in the end. With some nice bushy plants.

orrevs said:
Nice vars! You shold try to get the lamp down a bit, but you can alwas plant them deep when repotting. But try to have it as close at possible. I had to cut my labels in half to fit. And when i look at your pic, you culd do the same!

Just a bit annoying when they grow big with small labels but you can alwas make new ones ;) It will be worth it in the end. With some nice bushy plants.

Cheers mate I'll get straight onto it. Don't really want leggy plants. When do you think I should cull the weaker seedlings off? Should I wait for a while to be sure at least one will make it or get rid of it now?

When I get twins, I make it a race to first leaves. Winner take all.;)

I use 6500K bulbs in my lights. My seedlings like them better than the warmer lights. I ran out of 6500 bulbs when I set up the lights for the tomatoes and they got leggy using the 4700K bulbs I believe it was. You can mix them up too and it works pretty good.

Good luck!
jacob

jjs7741 said:
When I get twins, I make it a race to first leaves. Winner take all.;)

I use 6500K bulbs in my lights. My seedlings like them better than the warmer lights. I ran out of 6500 bulbs when I set up the lights for the tomatoes and they got leggy using the 4700K bulbs I believe it was. You can mix them up too and it works pretty good.

Good luck!
jacob

Thanks Jacob, The race has now officially started! It will be a race...... to the death Muaaaaaahahahahahahaha.... *puts pinky finger to lips. I'll have to look into getting a couple of the 6500k lights too i thinks.
Thanks again.
Jas.

Well I've done as I was told and cut the tags down and lowered my lights. Hopefully my chillies don't end up leggy now. Although I do still have to change the lights that I'm using.
002.jpg

I'm stoked today!! I noticed that I have 5 seedlings already starting to grow true leaves.... In just 4-5 days, is this average or a bit quick? The ones that have started on the true leave are; Bhut x 1, 7Pot x 1, Bih x 1, Trini Scorp x 1 and a Jonah.
Also one of my Choc Bhuts has started to poke through the surface and well on his way to straightening up. I still can't beleive how quick they are coming up.
Photos to come but I'll wait until the true leaves are a bit bigger first.

I bought this stuff today, It's called superthrive. Anybody heard of or used it before? Says it's a vitamin and growth hormone mix??? Can be used on seeds through to full grown plants if they need a bit of recovery. Here is a pic.
Superthrive001.jpg

Kind of.... It says to add to fertilizing program but also to use as part of your watering program..... I'm stumped....
WHEN? When soil is thirsty, in ALL watering applied at same time. Weekly or monthly.
HOSE OR FLOOD IT Put proportioner onto hose. Or mix in clean trash tub and dump or pour it.
QUANTITIES For active development, or resisting stress: 1/4 teaspoon full (1ml) per gallon or per 4 liters. 1 drop per small cup full. Three ounces per 100 gallons.
VERY SOFT PLANTS or CONSTANT, daily or maintenance use: 1 minim per gallon, one ounce per 500 gallons.
BARE-ROOT SOAKING Soak roots 15 or 30 minutes, 1 1/2 tea-spoonfuls per 5 gallons for ROSES and TENDER plants. OTHERS: One ounce (2 teaspoonfuls) per five gallons.

I use this and it is by far the most complicated label to make sense of. 2 hydro supply stores I've been to rave about this stuff but I've never done a controlled experiment. Anyway, I use around 2 drops per gallon once a week. I know I could safely use more with no damage but the stuff's highly concentrated and kinda expensive.

Superthrive's main ingredient 1-Naphthyl acetic acid is a synthetic auxin which has been found to stimulate cell elongation but this usually means larger spaces between nodes which is not usually desirable, at least not to me

Back