• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

any suggestions ?

any suggestions on what to do with these 2 plants, like cut back or ? I didnt know what to do, I just brought them inside & next to the window for the winter, & set them outside come spring.
& yea that 1 looks bad, I dont know why since the other one looks good. & I think they didnt grow to their normal height ? what can I do to get them to grow big come next growing season.

2m602ae.jpg

Take them both out of the pots, wash the roots and prune them back....prune the top back. Repot in a smaller pot.

They're not getting enough light to support a lot of foliage.

Shooty* said:
Again, listen to Willard.

Oddly, I think the one on the left looks healthier...
Usually when a plant loses all it's major nodes along the main stalk it's over. The stalk itself will start to dry out next.

Chilehunter, you might want to add some cfl lighting along with Willard's other suggestions.

the plant on the left (some form of a red habanero) has looked like that since bringing it inside(months ago) & which I just picked the last chiles off it about 2 weeks ago. the plant on the right slowly turned like that over time, which I was told it was a White Thai, but havent found that kind of name anywhere.it starts yellowish/whiteish then turns red.

ok how much cut back ? half of it ? & why the smaller pot ?(since it'll have a big root system) & what does washing the roots do ?
remember I plan on keeping all my plants in containers & cross country nursery says dont use miracle grow potting soil, why I dont know why, so if any of you would know why not to use miracle grow or know of a better potting soil to use, please let me know. the soil in the pots now is just ground soil.

but I'm kinda leary of doing alot of cut back on the left plant since its doing fine, but I'll do the washing & I was thinking of giving it new soil for the next growing season, since I've read ground soil is not the best choice for chiles in pots, or is this just a gimmick to get you to buy their stuff ?

& whats cfl lighting ?

You don't have to prune them back this much

tepin1.jpg

But, as you can see, there's not really too much....this is the same plant 10 mos later

sivuli5.jpg

Chiles are extremely hardy and hard to kill.....

wow ;) thats cut back!! if I saw that, not knowing you could do that, I'd figure the plant for dead & throw it away.
or is it because its a chiltepin/tepin type that you can do it to those plants, well meaning is that breed much more hardier.
I'll do it, but not as much as you did.

This is not peculiar to tepins, it's just the one I photographed.

I've done it with annuums, frutescens, baccatums and pubescens.

All chiles in my experience are very hardy and hard to kill.

Back