• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Hot sauce...I put too much vinegar. How can I cut a bit of the extra bite

Hi guys, I put maybe a little too much vinegar and its got too much of a tangy flavour or 'bite'. Is there anything that helps offset that or will it settle down on its own after a few days in the fridge? Its a really basic thing I made. Just pureed habs, vinegar, a bit of salt and a bit of sugar and a garlic clove. I like the taste of the habs but want just a bit less hit from vinegar. Does adding more sugar help? I had only but a tiny bit because I wanted a hint of sweetness but I dont really want to make it any sweeter if I dont have to.

svt- unless you want to add more of everything else in the recipe but no more vinegar to alter the vinegar:other stuff ratio, then sugar or other sweetener is your best option to cut the vinegar bite.

You shouldn't have to add a LOT of sweetener, just enough to take the edge off. And consider honey, agave syrup, or other non-sugar options.

salsalady said:
svt- unless you want to add more of everything else in the recipe but no more vinegar to alter the vinegar:other stuff ratio, then sugar or other sweetener is your best option to cut the vinegar bite.

You shouldn't have to add a LOT of sweetener, just enough to take the edge off. And consider honey, agave syrup, or other non-sugar options.

Thanks salsalady :) I will try this. I'll take the two jars I've made and leave one the way it is and for the other, just add a tiny bit of honey and then taste...and if it seems like its going in the right direction, then add just a little more and taste again...and then wipe the tears because damn this stuff turned out a scorcher. LOL.

It will mellow after 2-3 weeks. Always taste your recipes after they have had time to sit. If you can wait a month even better. Then you know it's not going to change any. Then, go back and alter your recipe. Then, wait again ;)

Basic flavors won't change so you don't need to do this when creating, but once you have your solid recipe, your should.

thehotpepper.com said:
It will mellow after 2-3 weeks. Always taste your recipes after they have had time to sit. If you can wait a month even better. Then you know it's not going to change any. Then, go back and alter your recipe. Then, wait again ;)

Basic flavors won't change so you don't need to do this when creating, but once you have your solid recipe, your should.

Thanks :) Its so hard not to want to have it soon...The taste is actually a little better today...just a few days in the fridge. I will taste it again in 1 week :) I cant help it. LOL. I'm so impatient.

Back