• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Al's

http://www.alsbeef.com

We went to one of the newer locations. Supposedly the original is the best. It is an Italian beef joint but they have other things and the location we went to is teamed with a Nancy's Pizzeria. I like the burgers, fries and onion rings here. The Italian beef is just okay. I ordered it dry, undipped in the au jus/ gravy with hot peppers. I get the juice on the side. Theirs was not defatted so I had to stir it to make it palatable. They gave me a combo which is Italian beef and Italian sausage. The sausage was much tastier.

hrmm, so is this Chicago's version of a Philly steak? Philly steaks where first created around 1933, so it seems that this place has its roots 5 years after that 1938 which would make sense for the "beef" "steak" sandwich idea to start getting around. being a Philly boy I wouldnt mind trying one, the AusJus sounds like a nice twist , hot peppers are a must, what kinda do they use at Al's? in Philly hots on a steak sandwich are always hot cherrys. do they throw sport peppers on in Chi-town like they do on the dogs?
btw true Chicago Dogs are the best hands down.

I love regional foods :D

It is not typical to have cheese. You can order sweet ot hot, which is bell peppers or giardiniere, that is a hot mix which also includes olives and carrots. Then you can order dry or wet, which is dipped in the au jus. I have not been eating them until pretty recently. I would love to try them at some of the great independent restaurants I've heard of.

I know there are/ were some places in Cali. that serve them. A couple of the Portillo's are out there. And Joe Montagne (spelling) the actor has or had a place out there.

The meat is roast beef, not steak.

pileiton said:
The meat is roast beef, not steak.

technically philly steaks arent steaks either just thinley sliced beef, the good places uses thin sliced rib eye but alot of places just use roast meat sliced really thin.
either way any kind of sliced meat on bread with peppers is a winner in my book :D

well since I cant cook anything I decided to go to Al's #1 Beef Shop here in Chicago, which some of you might know as the best italian beef in the country, and was also on Man Vs Food for their dipped sammiches

2011-02-19_18-13-50_749.jpg

drinking some Avery Hog Heaven and Hornitos at the moment

2011-02-19_15-00-10_762.jpg

well since I cant cook anything I decided to go to Al's #1 Beef Shop here in Chicago, which some of you might know as the best italian beef in the country, and was also on Man Vs Food for their dipped sammiches

I'm sorry. That is just ugly. Where 'da heat at? Best beef? You ain't been to Texas amigo.

I'm sorry..... did you actually have to eat that???? Kind of looks like something my son's cat hacked up......

Wbz, color may be off, but there ain`t a drunk in the joint that wouldn`t take a bite :woohoo: F... um if they can`t take a joke :rofl:

Wheebz, we needed to see it before you ate it. WTF is that pile?

It looks like sweet peppers instead of giardinera ( spelling ). I order IB dry with hot peppers and the gravy ( really au jus ) on the side. If dipped, it is very messy. Al's is a chain so the quality might vary from location . I like the ones from Portillo's better.

Back