• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2010 charlesNYC's Grow Log AKA My Ugly Little Fire Escape

So here it goes. I'm a bit late to post and I don't have as many good pictures as I wish I did. On top of that, my garden is nothing compared to what many of you guys are working with. I don't have a backyard, or even a balcony. I've planned out a Fire Escape Garden for this season, while hoping that next year, I'll be at an apartment with a backyard (not as hard as it sounds, noting I live in Brooklyn).

I'm also very late to the seed-starting party. I sowed my seeds at the beginning of the month; but took care to choose varieties known for setting fruit out early (Tomato's are Early Wonder and New Big Dwarf, and the basils should be ready by the end of next month.).

My super long list of varieties being grown in my Fire Escape (planned and in progress):
2 x Habanero Orange. (bought as 4 for 2 dollars as transplants from a local flower shop).
3 x Ring of Fire Cayenne.

So I'm being a cheap hipster and recycling a lot of the random trash I produce (I drink far too much coke zero).

4642396960_6771c524b4.jpg

The first habanero transplant. (circa May 20th).

4642427318_be59e8390f.jpg

A few seedlings by the Window. (South-facing).
4642427396_c505f8afd3.jpg

4641816123_e0f4723390.jpg

Starting up a second post now.

The "Back-up" Plan.
Keeping one of the Habaneros separate and alive just in case I have issues with the Ring of Fire Seedlings (Even though I have an extra one of those). If it happens that I don't need it, I'll give it to my neighbor, or force my girlfriend to plant it in her yard.

4642440304_e506fd6145.jpg

More of the Windowsill.
4641816137_36c0e05ebc.jpg

Ring of Fire Seedling.

4641828995_2a8827cbdb.jpg

Two Habanero Orange Transplants. One is bound to get chopped. Just keeping the two together for the next week or as a precaution.

4642440650_de9cd72e74.jpg

So I'm planting all of this in a mix of Miracle Gro potting soil (I know I know, bad idea, but it was all I could conveniently get around here) and Coffee grounds. So far so good. The Ring of Fire seedlings had issues pushing through the potting soil, which meant I almost lost hope early on, but they pushed through.

So temps climbed up to over 90 and the scorching sun almost killed off two of my ring of fire seedlings (had to pull out two extremely hot coke zero bottles, and throw cool water at seedlings that were almost laying horizontally on the soil). Pretty sure my Early Wonder tomato is gone. Which in turn means I may have some extra space for that "back-up" habanero.

Im new too but I learned quickly that Light+moisture = alge/mold. You dont want that on your root structure. Wrap the cups in tinfoil or something similarly dark or repot them into something that isnt clear.

DarkTrak said:
Im new too but I learned quickly that Light+moisture = alge/mold. You dont want that on your root structure. Wrap the cups in tinfoil or something similarly dark or repot them into something that isnt clear.

ack! as soon as they get a bit bigger, i'll repot into more opaque containers.
thanks for the tip!

Definitely get some proper pots, they are relatively cheap, and can be bought on line at various shops or even the 'bay. Final potting into 5 gallon buckets, or even those 32lb kitty litter buckets are OK as long as drain holes are drilled in the bottom, but the smaller pots need to be ones that will allow you to remove the plant from the pot without having to "pry" the root ball out when you pot up. Good luck, and keep an eye on your local weather forecast!

charlesNYC said:
ack! as soon as they get a bit bigger, i'll repot into more opaque containers.
thanks for the tip!

wrap the clear ones with tinfoil or something in the meantime so that alge doesnt start to grow!

^+1 I painted all my clear cups and not a problem.... Just curious though isn't it a fire "escape"? can't you get in the poo from the fire marshall or something if it's blocked?

jolokia_jas said:
can't you get in the poo from the fire marshall or something if it's blocked?

technically yes. my final layout leaves it unblocked so that's there's a path coming down and i keep the railing mostly undisturbed. basically, i can get ticketed for storing items in the fire escape, but blocking it is a different issue.
it generally takes the fire marshalls about 3 years to catch on on this from what i've been told (it's brooklyn/nyc), and i'll be gone from this place by then :-D.

charlesNYC said:
technically yes. my final layout leaves it unblocked so that's there's a path coming down and i keep the railing mostly undisturbed. basically, i can get ticketed for storing items in the fire escape, but blocking it is a different issue.
it generally takes the fire marshalls about 3 years to catch on on this from what i've been told (it's brooklyn/nyc), and i'll be gone from this place by then :-D.

Lol, more power to ya bro. Good luck.;)

4647410217_53245f2592.jpg

They survived last night's thunderstorm. Even though I got soaked finding a sweet spot in the fire escape where they would not drown. 592.jpg

So, I'll be taking a few pics in the next few hours as soon as my camera's battery reaches full charge, but in the last week my habs have just taken off. Pretty sure they've grown about 2 inches after having grown barely at all the few weeks before. A week ago I also did the Epsom Salt thing and it either coincided with the growth spurt or triggered it.

I've also come to sad conclusion that I have half as much grow space as I once thought I did. Basically half of my fire escape becomes a miniature version of the Niagara falls every time it rains. I've had to move my plants away from that half after having had the two habs topped off by the pouring water. No tomatoes for me, it seems (and one less pepper plant).

Oh, and I had a fight with fungus gnats. Which stunted one of my Ring of Fire seedlings (this is why you don't ever ever ever use transparent containers- i ended up painting them black about 2 days after you guys advised me to do so).

Growing peppers is an adventure.

Also, another fun thing I learned: Don't use soda cans as containers. They heat up and cool off too quick and stunt your plants if you leave them in direct light. Coffee cans are bit thicker and seem to be ok (Basil's thriving), but everything that's been left in a soda can has grown horribly.

Pics in a bit.

Hey there,
just wanted to say hello from another first year grower who's bumbling through all this fun stuff. We've had the worst weather in 50 years for our area! Rain every day, but I keep fussing over my plants.

Sounds like you are having a ton of fun, which is half of what this is all about. Keep up the good work, take care of them babies!
SL

NYC I salute you for trying to grow some peppers in the big city. On the fire escape in coke cans no less. Dig that determination. I wish you the best of luck and I'll bet you end up with some orange habs for your trouble. If mine turn out and you're in need of some heat just say the word.

Definitely have to lose the cans and the clear containers. Your roots will cook when they start to wrap around the sides. You should probably be able to get some 4-5 inch azalea pots for less than a buck a piece. Drill an extra 1/4 inch hole in them and you can aid drainage. I have seven week old bhuts in those pots and they are still about 2 weeks away from needing to be repotted.

Back