• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

chile side effects

you know I've heard about side effects/medical effects with eating chiles.
so I was wondering if any of you those effects are true ?
like for me some people (in construction) whine about the cold non-stop (something like a measly 0 degrees w/o windchill) I'm toasty warm with only a couple layers, but yet they're bundled up to the hilt & still whining. (& side note I was toasty warm also at -30 degrees w/o windchill taken into account, couple years ago)

so what do you all have ? I'm just curious & if its true us chile eaters are capable to handle cold better than some others. or anything else, etc...

I would have to say, "No" to being able to handle the cold. I eat peppers and hot sauce almost constantly and get uncomfortable when the temp drops below 50*F.

I think one of the contributing factors to that, would be the cold weather training I did in the USMC close to 20 years ago. We were in Wisconsin, and doing a three day stint out in the snow and the last night we were out there, some freak Canadian storm came down and dropped the temp to -55F and threw a 35 MPH wind in the mix for fun.

I haven't been able to handle the cold since.

I think handling the cold is more of a function of your ancestory both long term and short term. I'm originally from the north, and now I live in Virginia and work with people from all over the US and world, and people from the warmer climates complain about the cold a lot, including a big lineman who played college football in NC; he has the worst cold tolerance ever.

The only thing I've deducted is chile eaters tend to have more versitile taste buds than most people, including non-spicy food. I'll take it though.

I work outdoors year-round. I never use the heater or AC. I dress for the temp, and to do that, then turn the heater on will nearly make me pass out! By acclimating myself this way, the weather doesn't bother me toooo much. The chili and sauces don't seem to have any effect.

I dont know I just brought this up since they say chiles/cayennes improve blood circulation & other things for health.
I even think I heard chiles are good for ulcers ?
I was just curious if any of you have a positive side effect by eating chiles, not that I'll ever stop eating them if there wasnt any :( like I said just curious.

I can wear 1 pair of long johns & 2 pairs of sweat pants - 2 pairs of socks & tennis shoes - 1 long john shirt w/ 2 long sleeve shirts - & a hooded jacket & I'm good for minus 0 degree windchills

Helicobacter pylori was suspected, then recently proven, to be the #1 cause of ulcers. It's long been thought that capsaicin kills h. pylori, but recent studies show that it probably does not. It does make tissue that it comes into contact with secrete substance P, which is the body's reaction to tissue damage (sort of a 'trick'). When the substance P in the area is used up, there is usually less pain in the area. That's why capsaicin creams work so well for arthritis and other joint-related pains. So, while you're not killing ulcer-causing bacteria, you are tricking the body in that area to go into defense mode. Plus it does often promote saliva production, which is generally good for digestion in most cases.

Well as a fellow Minnesotan I can say that I probably have the same tolerances to heat and cold as you. It has to REALLY get cold for me to be cold. Skiing in sub zero weather? no problem! That being said my wife was born and raised here too and freezes 8 months out of the year. Go figure..

Anyway to your question, One of the benefits that I have found since eating chilies on the daily basis is that my hay fever is gone and I suffered with that pretty bad my whole life. There are studies out on the net on the benefits of chile peppers if you want to google it.

chilehunter said:
you know I've heard about side effects/medical effects with eating chiles.
so I was wondering if any of you those effects are true ?
like for me some people (in construction) whine about the cold non-stop (something like a measly 0 degrees w/o windchill) I'm toasty warm with only a couple layers, but yet they're bundled up to the hilt & still whining. (& side note I was toasty warm also at -30 degrees w/o windchill taken into account, couple years ago)

so what do you all have ? I'm just curious & if its true us chile eaters are capable to handle cold better than some others. or anything else, etc...

Don't know about the cold but there is a direct linear relationship with pepper consumption and toilet paper useage.

Blue's

[quote name='Blue's']Don't know about the cold but there is a direct linear relationship with pepper consumption and toilet paper useage.

Blue's[/QUOTE]
It's a 1:1 ratio.

So theres a plant that Darwinists itself since before the dinosaurs to repel anything that would eat it's offspring by nurturing a poison that tastes like fire.
Humans turn up and say..Gimme more :hell:

Back