• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Low Carb Pepperfire waffles...

Kato, man, you're going to love this.

For starters; if you don't have a waffle iron, the recipe works with both a crepe pan or a frying pan. But I made it in a waffle iron. If you use a crepe pan or frying pan, make crepes or pancakes with the batter instead of waffles.

This recipe served four. (2 adults and 2 kids) and there were no leftovers.

Waffle batter:
1/2 cup soya protein
1/2 cup gluten flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
distilled water

Filling:
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 bag fresh spinach, washed, drained and minced
2 stalks celery, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, minced
1 cup grated cheese (I used a mix of old cheddar and jack)
Fresh Pumpkin seeds (or any other nut)
Fresh shelled hemp seeds (sesame seeds will do)
1 tbsp Fusion Fire (or to taste)
1 tbsp Cajun Morel Chardonnay Reduction (or to taste)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and plug in or turn on waffle iron.

Sift soya protein and gluten flour together, beat in eggs and milk until smooth, then add distilled water until runny. (like a pancake or waffle batter). Set aside.

In a fry pan, melt butter with olive oil and Fusion Fire, then add minced vegetables, saute until just glazed. Toss in the fresh spinach, sprinkle the pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds over the mixture, then cover and remove from heat. Set aside. (You do not want to do anything but gently steam the spinach, otherwise it gets soggy and mushy).

pour 1/2 batter into waffle iron, close and let cook.

Once the waffle is ready, remove it from the pan, place it on a stoneware (or oven safe) plate, top with half of the vegetable mixture and then smother it with 1/2 of the cheese, then pop it into the oven until the cheese melts.

If you're using crepes or pancakes, I'd place the mixture on one side of the crepe and roll it like a burrito, then put the cheese on.

Once the cheese has melted, drizzle the Cajun Morel Chardonnay Reduction over the top and serve.

I used about 3 tablespoons of the Cajun and the Peppermaster probably used about 5 tbsp. Even the kids liked it. (Imagine; my kids liking spinach!) Scooter, kept licking his lips and saying "pain, pain, pain" all through dinner.

For those of you who care about the carb count, I'd put it at approximately 4-8 carbs per serving.

And for those of you who could care less about the carb count, replace the gluten and soy protein with 1 cup of flour.

T.

Back