• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Waialua pepper?

Whatcha know about them? I know they are from here(Hawaii) but can't really find too much info or pictures or likes/dislikes...can anyone school me up on them cuz I just picked up a huge one from the local nursery and even though it was really root bound (pulled it out of the pot and it was completely white from the roots) In a little 6" azalea cup it's pushing 2' already with 12 pods growing and jam packed with healthy leaves.

Waialua chili pepper is a jalapeno shape 26g. Matures in about 75 days. pepper resistant to Bacterial Wilt and is tolerant to root knot nematode.

wai_small.jpg

My link

The C. annuum cultivar, ‘Hawaiian Sweet Hot’ has smooth green foliage with small white flowers. The pod color begins as green and matures into a rich red. Pod is 1.5 inches long and .5 inch wide. Sweet, and slightly pungent. C. annuum is very diverse since it includes both hot and sweet peppers but common to most are smooth green leaves and strong branches.

Also called Waialua chili pepper, this heirloom is a cone shaped Capsicum annuum pepper, similar in size to jalapeno but a bit bigger and more pointy (less rounded) than a jalapeno. Its flavor when ripe and red is superior to jalapeno. Height: 3 ft. to 5 ft. Width: 1.5 ft. to 1.67 ft. PH: 6 to 7.5 is best. USDA Hardiness Zone: 6 to 12

Produces better than jalapeno in very humid climates, or in soils with nematodes, due to better adaptation and more disease resistance. Matures in 75 to 120 days.
Days to maturity range from 75 (if counting from transplant) to 120 (time to crop from starting the seed). These estimates are for production of green fruit. Red fruit, which are far superior in flavor to green, need from 88 to 133 days.

This heirloom pepper is resistant to Bacterial Wilt and is tolerant to root knot nematode. If your climate is not humid, mist flowering plants with water daily to encourage fruit set.

Fruits are similar to jalapeno in size weighing about 26g on average and heat is mild to medium, but pepper flavor is sweeter and more interesting.

My link

^ Yeah, got it. I read the Wikipedia definition too. I'm looking for a more personal answer from someone that has grown them before. Wikipedia is rather smart but I trust some of the guys on here a little more.

Looks like Francis delivered the load but I think the pod would be closer to a Fresno being both hot and sweet with a slight pungent flavour but hot is a relative term and Fresno is hot to one person but not to another. And when you look at the picture, it really isn't jalapeno shaped but more fresno.

This year, I had a fresno pod and decided to seed it and planted the seeds, today I have several plants with lots of pods.... I call the fresno, the weed of the pepper family, simply because I can not kill the plant and it grows like a weed. I have given away several plants and look forward to giving away more. One family said they really like the habanero I gave them..... I'll just leave it alone and let them enjoy their pepper.

Good work Francis on picking up the information.

I am growing it for my first time. I got seeds for it and the other "hot" pepper listed from that link and some other non pepper items. Here is a photo..

Mike

LatearrivalsJune003.jpg

Here's another link with lovely photos but little or incorrect info.
http://www.hear.org/starr/images/species/?q=capsicum+annuum&o=plants

I am growing it for my first time. I got seeds for it and the other "hot" pepper listed from that link and some other non pepper items. Here is a photo..

Mike

LatearrivalsJune003.jpg

Lookin good! I'll have to go snap a shot of this thing, Its a beast. Oh, BTW my wife is from your area and saw your post and said to say, Round Rock sucks, Pflugerville Rules....lol

Yep, the big giant leaves look really similar to the fresno plant, you can click my link below and view the weeds if you want. I have a plant with 2 plants in a 1 gallon bucket because I am running out of room and they are full of pods. If you are in an area that is challenged with growing peppers the fresno style is one that I would recommend. Its not like a ceyenne and has it own character.

Was in home depot today they had then with pods to and Hawaiian red Kona peppers to with pods. Barge must have been late. or rough weather between here and mainland.

Back