• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

S.Labuyo's 2010 grow log

Hello all!

I'm kinda new to this forum and I also grow chili peppers just like you. I'm located in the philippines so peepers here live longer because we don't have winter here. I had started several varieties during the start of this year but unfortunately most of them died due to the dry spell that hit of country, only a handful survived. thank god that the dry spell is over and i just started planting last month all over again.. most of my seeds where sent to me except for the indigenous cultivars.

here is my list(not really that impressive compared to you chili masters):
siling labuyo (indigenous here)
siling haba (indigenous here)
siling lara (indigenous here)
siling bilog (indigenous here)
long slim cayenne
golden cayenne
trifeti
ancho
peter
medusa
hot banana
inferno
golden bell
bhut jolokia red
yellow scotch bonnet
pequin firecracker
shishito
takanotsume

so far most of the are still in the plantlet stage, only a few reached their maturity due to the dry spell.

i just wanna ask were to get the exotic varieties of peppers both nuclear and ornamentals?

wish me luck guys. :dance:

Check out guys like Niel from www.thehippyseedcompany.com there's a few others that someone will chime in with...He's an Aussie so the shipping shouldn't be too bad either for someone in your region. Good Luck!!!

here is my list(not really that impressive compared to you chili masters):
siling labuyo (indigenous here)
siling haba (indigenous here)
siling lara (indigenous here)
siling bilog (indigenous here)

might i try to make a little description....

hey nat.

siling labuyo - labuyo means wild in the northen dialect of our country, the philippine bird's eye pepper, capsicum frutescens
siling haba - haba means long in filipino, sort of our equivalent to the sweet banana pepper, has a mildly hot taste, ripens to an orange to red color, a bit sweet when ripe, smaller in comparison to banana peppers overall
siling lara - never knew about this one, another sweet bell variety. larger than the siling bilog. elongated bell, a bit similar to the sweet marconi
siling bilog - bilog means circular, in this case spherical in shape. a local variety of the bell pepper, originated most likely from spain, usually three lobes, also smaller around the size of two golf balls. a bit bitter, not really my kind of bell.

i have also heard that there are white bird's eyes locally found. endangered if not already extinct. used to grow wild in the provinces. in the hunt for this variety since i've learned of it. and a fellow local chili grower also mentioned that there was a variety of labuyo that wasn't a frutescens, but actually an eximium. his expertise might be a bit doubtful. but he seems to know more about the local stuff than i do. so whatever.

hey nat.

siling labuyo - labuyo means wild in the northen dialect of our country, the philippine bird's eye pepper, capsicum frutescens
siling haba - haba means long in filipino, sort of our equivalent to the sweet banana pepper, has a mildly hot taste, ripens to an orange to red color, a bit sweet when ripe, smaller in comparison to banana peppers overall
siling lara - never knew about this one, another sweet bell variety. larger than the siling bilog. elongated bell, a bit similar to the sweet marconi
siling bilog - bilog means circular, in this case spherical in shape. a local variety of the bell pepper, originated most likely from spain, usually three lobes, also smaller around the size of two golf balls. a bit bitter, not really my kind of bell.

i have also heard that there are white bird's eyes locally found. endangered if not already extinct. used to grow wild in the provinces. in the hunt for this variety since i've learned of it. and a fellow local chili grower also mentioned that there was a variety of labuyo that wasn't a frutescens, but actually an eximium. his expertise might be a bit doubtful. but he seems to know more about the local stuff than i do. so whatever.

+1 Thanks Franz; very interesting. Cheers.

Nice list. Remember even the best chiliheads started with nothing. Got any pics to share?

Good luck with your peppers!
jacob

thanks for the compliment. here are the pics my mature peppers. not really that impressive though. i actually posted some already in the ornamental pepper thread..

medusa:
img0947v.jpg

slim cayenne:
img1272yl.jpg

hot banana:
img1269v.jpg

peter:
img1085q.jpg

pequin:
img0798b.jpg

lara:
dsci0014edited.jpg

hey nat.

thanks franz for the help explaining our native species... but i'll do some corrections based on what i know..

siling haba is not a banana type pepper, actually its is a cayenne type pepper, it is thin walled, medium hot and is practically included in any of our cuisines. we have to types of siling haba, the one we use for our regular cooking and the northern version which has no heat at all.it is used as a substitute for green vegetables...

siling lara is our version of sweet frying pepper.

siling bilog is our version of bell pepper but more closely related to pimiento.

what i really wanna grow are the original strains of our native peppers. we only get stupid hybrids that are sourced in taiwan. i hates those. hates them.

lol.

thanks for the compliment. here are the pics my mature peppers. not really that impressive though. i actually posted some already in the ornamental pepper thread..

medusa:
img0947v.jpg

slim cayenne:
img1272yl.jpg

hot banana:
img1269v.jpg

peter:
img1085q.jpg

pequin:
img0798b.jpg

lara:
dsci0014edited.jpg
I sure hope I can grow some that look that nice. Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

what i really wanna grow are the original strains of our native peppers. we only get stupid hybrids that are sourced in taiwan. i hates those. hates them.

lol.

don't rely on the groceries and supermarkets, what they sell are hybrids that produce more than the usual plant, (read: more produce = more income). if you want to get the pure strain, go to the provinces, check out the local farmers, not the commercial farmers.

gonna try and look for pure strains in tagaytay. and if i manage to go to field trips in organic farms, for sure i'll steal a few fruits here and there. lol.

Very nice plants.

Is your siling labuyo a C. Frutescens or a C. Chinense.

Here's what the Chileman has to say: 'Siling' is the Flipino word for capsicums in general. The pods are very small and thin and look like mini tabasco pods. They grow erect on the plant, measure approximately 0.5in long x 0.15in wide and mature from green to red. It is sometimes thought to be a Frutescens.

When I was in the PI a restaurant I frequented kept small bottles of peppers in vinegar for a simple pepper sauce on the tables. The pepper fit the description by Chileman and it was very, very hot and far too hot for a Frutescens IMO.

Are the flowers white with 2 or more per node on your labuyo plants?

Been looking for pure strain of the labuyo. It's starting to get endangered from all these taiwan hybrids they've introduced. According to the net that the original labuyo strain is a frutescens but they could be wrong.

I talked to some dude he even claims that the labuyo is an eximium and had smaller peppers with 1cm long fruits and grew downwards and not upwards. He could be wrong too since i doubt his knowledge on the topic.

The labuyo peppers grown from grocery bought peppers have 2 or 3 peppers. These are plants grown fron seed by the help.

Back